• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The Airgun Nation App is ready for iOS users! It should be available for Android users any minute! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Air Strippers do you use one?

Posted this in Field Target by accident and could not figure out how to delete my thread so posting again here.
Greetings
I am working on my form and technique as that is where the maximum improvement in my scoring will come from. With that said I am not against spending some cash💰to buy accuracy that I don’t have control of. My Lupo Rosso .22 has a 0dB moderator which works great to to quiet the Lupo when I’m shooting at home but I have no idea yet if it has any affect on accuracy. Next time I go out to the range I am going to do some testing for accuracy with and without the 0dB.

Recently I have read some and watched a couple of videos on air strippers, they seemed to work in most circumstances to tighten the group. I know this is very specific to each rifle and more so each barrel. I would be interested to know shooters thoughts and experiences with air strippers and accuracy especially if you have used one on a Red Wolf. I also see that AoA has a Rowan Adjustable Air Stripper for $70.00 so I have quick access to one.

I appreciate your time for posting a reply.

The rifled bore of some barrels is not always perfectly concentric to the circumference of the barrel at the muzzle.
The stripper if manufactured correctly should be a snug fit over the end of the barrel.The cone in the stripper would then not be concentric with the bore of the barrel at the muzzle.
In which case accuracy could suffer. I have found this to be the case on more than one of my rifles and removed the stripper. Concentricity can be visually checked by shining a pentorch down the barrel from the breech and viewing down the stripper cone at the muzzle.

Reactions: RScott and oledawg
Yeah, I have had mixed results. On my BRK Atomic pistol, it helped bring my groups down to mostly one hole groups at under 10 meter. I tried on my RAW 25 cal and there was no improvement, even after dialing in cone position. Now, the Impulse mods have cone baffles that I suspect act like sort of air strippers (albeit not adjustable) and those work very well on the RAWs.

I have on one RW that helped in accuracy?, the other made no difference. The one that it helped I’m not sure if it was the actual stripper or just the weight on the end of the barrel?
RedWolf’s (or any gun with a shroud for that matter) that redirects the air flow I’m not convinced it truly matters?
That's a good point. The Hatsan stripper I use on my Atomic says specifically "not for use with shrouded barrels". I suspect the fact the muzzle is not at the end of the shroud makes the stripper moot.

few PM's .. Whats a FLIP COMP ?

thumbnail.jpg

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: qball
If your barrel is well made, an air stripper should have essentially no impact on your gun's consistency.

I don't want to talk only about "barrels and consistency" , that would be a longer discussion then I planned to participate...but the air stripper shaves off from the amount of air in the barrel in front of the projectile, and the POI lands in much higher location. I have a measurable evidence, that the air strippers I have tried and tested - groups higher about 2" and about 1.5" to the right on target rings placed @ 100 meters. If I can trust my FX radar reads I got about 25-30 fps higher velocities with certain pellets I use.

That's a good point. The Hatsan stripper I use on my Atomic says specifically "not for use with shrouded barrels". I suspect the fact the muzzle is not at the end of the shroud makes the stripper moot.
There is a much higher likelihood of clipping with a shroud. In particular a stripper will have usually a very tight bore.

Reactions: rsfrid