• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air shotgun for doves

I have the PBBA pro 20.
After looking at the other offerings of air “shotguns” the PBBA appeared the clear leader of the pack if you want a serious hunting shotgun.
They are set up from Terry to shoot I believe a 1 1/8 ounce load. That is what I am shooting out of mine. With a 3400 psi fill I get 3 effective shots. It will also shoot a 7/8 ounce slug and I believe Terry told me it produced a bit over 400 fpe doing that. It uses an aluminum cartridge shaped just like a shotgun shell. They are a bit spendy but I see no way to wear them out so they can be used over and over and over……
This past week I shot two mallards with mine. One of the drakes was at 35 yards, maybe a tad further. It was dead on impact. Steel 4 shot with an improved cylinder choke tube. Oh yeah it takes screw in choke tubes.
There is YouTuber named Sparky. He has a lot of videos hunting ducks and geese with his pro 20 along with information on loading the cartridges using cup type wads and other useful information.
As you can tell I am pretty impressed with the Pro 20. One of my favorite PCP’s.
The swa version is a little different same build from Terry but instead of a break barrel it has a 2 or optional 3 shot cartridge that you just slide over to have next shot and you put what they call cards in bottom fill with your shot and place another card on top or they sell wads you fill with shot which could come in handy for flying birds for turkey I prefer no wad just shot tss number 9 although Terry says just use 4 lead and he’s had success with the rifle choke it shoots jsb 340 grain slugs like a beast inside of 60 to 70 yards hog and deer worthy great gun if you want to check out new model look up swa .20 gauge same Terry gun with changes I just spoke of by the way Terry stands up for his product I bent the cocking handle with my truck seat my fault no questions he sent another to me next day

IMG_0715.png

IMG_0715.png

a .177 to the head and all the meat is good . grouse is legal but not dove's with an airgun in KY . why one and not the other ?
Mourning doves are classified as migratory birds. All migratory birds must be taken with a shotgun. Eurasian doves are not classified as migratory and can be taken with an air gun inmost
States

It's already released.. I think they are back on pre-order.. check out serpent arms..View attachment 404326
Oh yeah I've seen that. Man, I'm personally just not a fan of that style build for a shotgun. I like a more traditional shotgun style.

Why did they make their shells the way they are with the several small holes for air instead of one big one? Did it prove more effective or something?

The last time I looked at the Rattler shells for it they were really expensive, even the empty ones but it doesn't take much imagination to make your own shot shells. I use plastic centrifuge tubes from amazon to make mine. I also use foam ear plugs and black powder wads. They have a screw on cap so I can carry some in my pocket. In that speeds are slower than regular shot shells I think it is best to go up 1-2 sizes in shot to get more penetration. Like use a 5-4 shot rather than a 6 or mix 6 & 4 50/50. There are videos of them taking ducks and turkeys out to 30 yards. 30 yards is about all you will get from a air shotgun with the best loads unless you can crank up the power. 20 yards is more realistic. Tungsten shot can be a huge help but again is way to expensive. It is a lot of fun to experiment with making your own loads for the shotguns and even loading them like muzzleloading shotguns. You are not resticted that way as far as the amount of shot you put in and you can weigh loads to match the weight of slugs you would normally shoot. I even have a punch for making cardboard wads. I got my wingshot 2 mainly to have as a survival gun, shoots bullets, arrows, shot, glass beads, pebbels or anything else I can put down the barrel with wads and a ram rod. At close range it can get the job done. An actual 20ga or 28ga would be great for using the wads and slugs they sell for reloading.

Last edited:
Reactions: LndscpeGrdnr
The last time I looked at the Rattler shells for it they were really expensive, even the empty ones but it doesn't take much imagination to make your own shot shells. I use plastic centrifuge tubes from amazon to make mine. I also use foam ear plugs and black powder wads. They have a screw on cap so I can carry some in my pocket. In that speeds are slower than regular shot shells I think it is best to go up 1-2 sizes in shot to get more penetration. Like use a 5-4 shot rather than a 6 or mix 6 & 4 50/50. There are videos of them taking ducks and turkeys out to 30 yards. 30 yards is about all you will get from a air shotgun with the best loads unless you can crank up the power. 20 yards is more realistic. Tungsten shot can be a huge help but again is way to expensive. It is a lot of fun to experiment with making your own loads for the shotguns and even loading them like muzzleloading shotguns. You are not resticted that way as far as the amount of shot you put in and you can weigh loads to match the weight of slugs you would normally shoot. I even have a punch for making cardboard wads. I got mine mainly to have as a survival gun, shoots bullets, arrows, shot, glass beads, pebbels or anything else I can put down the barrel with wads and a ram rod. At close range it can get the job done. An actual 20ga or 28ga would be great for using the wads and slugs they sell for reloading.
If you’re more of a traditional gun look check out that .20 swa gun Terry Tate builds it’s a simple but very strong gun both with shot loads or slugs