• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air shotgun for doves

I’ve seen posts of folks loading shot into little gel caps or something similar and shooting those. I don’t know if any size gel cap would be a good match for a barrel, but I do know there are size specifications for gel caps.

It may be they were using some kind of a sabot to launch it or maybe the gel cap is the sabot. If I recall, some modification of the capsule was made to ensure that the shot scatters before reaching the target.

If you were able to match them to a barrel on an airgun you own, it would be an interesting thing to experiment with.

I have an exanix rex, 9mm bore. I wonder if this would be a good platform with 3-D printed sabots holding small lead shot.

150 fpe is not much for a shotgun lol but I wonder if an airgun more or less like this might be able get a smaller amount of shot up close to shotgun muzzle velocities (1000 fps+)? 70 grains at 1000 fps is a little over 150 fpe. I have idea what would happen in reality of course.

Looks like “size 2” capsules are good (?) for .25 bore. Volume is only about 1/3 ml though. The cap is .252 in and the capsule body is .240

None of the sizes listed would fit without a sabot for .357 but some might be a good fit for 30 cal barrels

IMG_2842.jpeg

IMG_2843.jpeg

IMG_2841.jpeg

Last edited:
I mean there's the .50 cal Wing Shot that can be tuned with the CAP system to double to triple the power, the 20 guage PBBA which there are videos of geese being folded in the air by them. Umarex made a 20 guage but when I emailed asking the availability date they didn't have an ETA. There's the SWA 20 guage but it has a more tactical build. Extreme Big Bores also make/made a 28 and 12 guage but I haven't found much on them and if they even still make them.

I'm wanting an air shotgun to shoot doves, and maybe ducks, but primarily doves. I know the wing shot can be upgraded with the CAP system. I'd want a wing shot, PBBA 20 or Primal 20 but it has no release date. There are plenty of YouTube videos showing people doing it successfully. Does anyone here shoot doves with an airgun?
I have a swa .20 which is same gun as the pbba Terry Tate built both name just changed great gun has a 3 shot clip and you can take choke out and put rifle choke in and shoot slugs same gun can shoot birds and then deer or pigs I plan on using mine for turkey go on lethal air .net Chad Simon sells them well built gun

Reactions: LndscpeGrdnr
I have the PBBA pro 20.
After looking at the other offerings of air “shotguns” the PBBA appeared the clear leader of the pack if you want a serious hunting shotgun.
They are set up from Terry to shoot I believe a 1 1/8 ounce load. That is what I am shooting out of mine. With a 3400 psi fill I get 3 effective shots. It will also shoot a 7/8 ounce slug and I believe Terry told me it produced a bit over 400 fpe doing that. It uses an aluminum cartridge shaped just like a shotgun shell. They are a bit spendy but I see no way to wear them out so they can be used over and over and over……
This past week I shot two mallards with mine. One of the drakes was at 35 yards, maybe a tad further. It was dead on impact. Steel 4 shot with an improved cylinder choke tube. Oh yeah it takes screw in choke tubes.
There is YouTuber named Sparky. He has a lot of videos hunting ducks and geese with his pro 20 along with information on loading the cartridges using cup type wads and other useful information.
As you can tell I am pretty impressed with the Pro 20. One of my favorite PCP’s.

I have been messing around with my Wingshot some and I feel like it could do the job at close range using 1/2 oz of shot but I can not try it out on doves because it is not legal in my state to use an airgun for doves. But there are vidoes on utube of people doing it in other locations. Like anything the more power you have the longer the range.

If you can sneak up real close to one, this might work

I bought my gun from a forum member used. I think they are in the $1,700 - $1,800 range new.

Here is the website. Terry is a great person to deal with. I have had occasion to speak with him a several times. Always helpful.
@Chukar60 I’ve seen that site. It hasn’t been updated in about a year. I’ve also seen it listed on a few other sites with availability from one of them. I’ve seen their pricing and on two of the three and from what I can recall it looks lower than what’s listed on the manufacturer’s site which looks strange to me and communicates to me that they likely no longer carry this gun.

I have the PBBA pro 20.
After looking at the other offerings of air “shotguns” the PBBA appeared the clear leader of the pack if you want a serious hunting shotgun.
They are set up from Terry to shoot I believe a 1 1/8 ounce load. That is what I am shooting out of mine. With a 3400 psi fill I get 3 effective shots. It will also shoot a 7/8 ounce slug and I believe Terry told me it produced a bit over 400 fpe doing that. It uses an aluminum cartridge shaped just like a shotgun shell. They are a bit spendy but I see no way to wear them out so they can be used over and over and over……
This past week I shot two mallards with mine. One of the drakes was at 35 yards, maybe a tad further. It was dead on impact. Steel 4 shot with an improved cylinder choke tube. Oh yeah it takes screw in choke tubes.
There is YouTuber named Sparky. He has a lot of videos hunting ducks and geese with his pro 20 along with information on loading the cartridges using cup type wads and other useful information.
As you can tell I am pretty impressed with the Pro 20. One of my favorite PCP’s.
Wow, great information! Very impressive! I wish I could find a used one available.

Lethal air that another poster mentioned carries them but they are $300 more through them. The SWA, which I understand is the same platform, has the 2 and 3 round magazines but I'd want it on another stock instead of that tactical setup. It also doesn't use shells like the PBBA. I don't know if that makes a difference.

@Chukar60 I’ve seen that site. It hasn’t been updated in about a year. I’ve also seen it listed on a few other sites with availability from one of them. I’ve seen their pricing and on two of the three and from what I can recall it looks lower than what’s listed on the manufacturer’s site which looks strange to me and communicates to me that they likely no longer carry this gun.
The phone number is current. When I was talking to Terry I got the impression guns are being built to order. I have also found texting him works well.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
Wow, great information! Very impressive! I wish I could find a used one available.

Lethal air that another poster mentioned carries them but they are $300 more through them. The SWA, which I understand is the same platform, has the 2 and 3 round magazines but I'd want it on another stock instead of that tactical setup. It also doesn't use shells like the PBBA. I don't know if that makes a difference.
I am an avid bird hunter. The Pro 20 I have has the laminated stock. Does it fit like my over and under when mounted? No. But it is quite functional and the adjustable cheek riser allows me to change that dimension so that patterns are hitting where I am looking.
The cartridge system is the best I have seen. Super easy to load, It can be used hundreds of times from what i can see. I don’t know how you would ever wear one out. I have 25 of them and can load them all in less than half an hour.
you can use cardboard wads or the synthetic cup wads with a wafer over wad if you want to use those.
My next project is Bismuth shot for waterfowl.
I am still learning the gun and am more enthusiastic than knowledgeable.
I would really encourage you to go to YouTube and put “Sparky PBBA Pro 20” in the search. You will pull up a lot of his videos. This guy has the gun down pat and is sharing very valuable information along with some fun hunts to watch.

Reactions: LndscpeGrdnr
I am an avid bird hunter. The Pro 20 I have has the laminated stock. Does it fit like my over and under when mounted? No. But it is quite functional and the adjustable cheek riser allows me to change that dimension so that patterns are hitting where I am looking.
The cartridge system is the best I have seen. Super easy to load, It can be used hundreds of times from what i can see. I don’t know how you would ever wear one out. I have 25 of them and can load them all in less than half an hour.
you can use cardboard wads or the synthetic cup wads with a wafer over wad if you want to use those.
My next project is Bismuth shot for waterfowl.
I am still learning the gun and am more enthusiastic than knowledgeable.
I would really encourage you to go to YouTube and put “Sparky PBBA Pro 20” in the search. You will pull up a lot of his videos. This guy has the gun down pat and is sharing very valuable information along with some fun hunts to watch.
Oh yeah I've seen his videos. He's folding geese stone dead in the air! He mentioned in the comments to one video he might do an airgun only hunt next year in Iowa and was inviting viewers if they wanted to come.

Does that hinge where the barrel tips forward get in the way of seeing the end of the barrel or the bead?

Last edited:
Oh yeah I've seen his videos. He's folding geese stone dead in the air! He mentioned in the comments to one video he might do an airgun only hunt next year in Iowa and was inviting viewers if they wanted to come.

Does that hinge where the barrel tips forward get in the way of seeing the end of the barrel or the bead?
No not at all. My gun has the bead at the end of the barrel and another blade that sits on top of the hinge band. I actually see neither when shooting the gun. Let me correct that, I see them but they are not in focus. My focus is on the bird

No not at all. My gun has the bead at the end of the barrel and another blade that sits on top of the hinge band. I actually see neither when shooting the gun. Let me correct that, I see them but they are not in focus. My focus is on the bird
Yeah I shoot instinctively and don't look at the bead either, but patterning or turkey hunting I would.