• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air safety standardizations?

Here is an expert analysis of what let go in the PCP that "shot" the valve thought the guy's leg in that video:

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=97121.msg907672#msg907672

First of all, I'm glad that the guy wasn't killed, or injured more seriously than he was.... That could have been a fatal wound if it was over just a little bit.... WOW !!!

Now, let's analyze some of the things in the video.... There appear to have been (at least) TWO separate failures here....

1. They disassembled the back of the gun, removing the rear plug and the hammer.... The threaded end of the HiPac was still in the front of the tube.... Therefore, the Disco valve MUST have come out the back of the tube.... Why?.... See #2....

2. The tube does NOT have any side holes in it for the side screws in the Disco Valve.... Therefore, we can assume that only a single screw was used in the bottom.... They said that the gun let go when they were taking off the stock.... The stock screw sits in the slot in the Disco valve just behind the O-rings.... My guess is that the stock screw was taking part of the load, and when they undid it, all the load went on the bottom valve screw.... and BOOM, out the back of the gun it went, and through his leg....

3. I'm not a fan of HiPacs, but HOW in heaven's name do you use one with a Disco valve?.... They are designed to work with a stock 22XX valve, and seal against the valve, so that the tube is not under any pressure.... Did these guys cobble up some kind of seal between the HiPac and the Disco valve?.... or did they just use the HiPac to pressurize the tube (something it was never designed to do), and seal the Disco valve into the tube with O-rings?.... If they had a seal of some kind between the front of the Disco valve and the HiPac, and the tube wasn't under pressure.... then when the valve moved back a fraction, BANG the tube was pressurized, and that stressed the HiPac in ways it was never designed for....

4. Despite #3, how in heaven's name did the HiPac fracture at the threads, leaving the threads in the tube, and the HiPac imbedded in the ceiling?.... Is this a completely separate failure from the valve shooting out the back?....

Too many questions, and not enough answers.... However, I would say that whoever built that gun, using a Disco valve with apparently only one screw, must bear some of the blame.... If they had the valve sealed to the HiPac, the way it was intended to be, then did they have O-rings on the valve, so that it sealed to the tube?.... If they didn't, and the HiPac was only pressurizing the valve and not the tube.... then how did it develop enough pressure to shear the valve screw and fire the valve into his leg?....

Bob

This is like partially filling a room with propane and striking a match. The injury from this PCP has nothing to do with "industry standards for safety". It has to do with people keen on "making improvements" not having any clue about the physics involved. Nor the limitations of parts and materials, when not used as the designers intended.

The only thing that video demonstrates is how much energy is stored in 60 CC of air at 2000 PSI. But then, we already knew that a fully charged PROD can shoot pellets with a combined energy of about 400 FPE.

Call me naive but I always assumed no one could be in the military unless they had been on a paintball field and familiar with air........

If any one is naive, it is me, due to my not having the knowledge that the modern pcp airgun existed at this point in my life. However, is it so difficult a prospect to believe that myself or others have not been exposed to, or ever shot an air or paintball gun before? I have several friends that have never heard of pcp airgun's nor the power they're capable of. And when I showed them and let them shoot some of what I have, their amazement was priceless!

May I ask if you ever served in the military? If so, when did you serve, what branch and did your training entail using paintball guns in basic or advanced training? If you hadn't served, I am interested in learning about where you derived your assumptions from, and if there was a point to your question?

Many decades ago when I went through all my different trainings starting with Basic, AIT (Advanced Individual Training), ROTC, Airborne Jump school, etc., we "always" trained with real firearm weapons. Air propelled guns or the like were not something we ever used. When we would train or practice war time scenarios with our weapons, we used the MILES (Multiple Integrated Laser Engagement Systems). Each weapon was equipped with a laser transmitter and each soldier would wear a vest that had several laser receivers that would engage if shot. So no, I had not been exposed to any air or paintball guns prior to serving in the military. 

While I had heard about them in the periphery ends of my life, it was never something directly on my radar. As I much too involved in cycle racing and triathlons back then. As well as my side hobby of shooting the various firearms I owned. I even got into reloading my own ammo to save on the expense of buying manufactured ammo. Air guns, co2 paintball markers and the like was not something my friends and me ever dabbled in. As you likely read, I literally discovered air propelled systems less than a year ago, by accident.

Now that I addressed your query. Since the topic of my post was simply to try and understand if, what and how the air gunning industry goes about manufacturing and testing the safety of said air based equipment for public consumption. Could I have you interject any experience or knowledge you have on this issue? And respectfully, wouldn't proffering what information and knowledge you can lend to my query, be less tangentially divergent to my safety standard topic? Instead of whether or not I had paintball experience before or during my military service? I truly want to say your question was without an agenda and benign. But after I started this topic, I have been met with quite a bit of hostility, false accusations and a host of idiomatic clichés, here and in the other forums. By my simply wondering and asking about how the industry insures all their manufactured equipment has been rigorously tested and safe across the board. I have no ulterior motive. I am just curious about learning more about this industry I have come to enjoy, plain and simple. For who wouldn't want to know that the 4.5k psi tank or so, they have their cheek, hand or body around is not going to experience some catastrophic failure that could cause serious injury or death? Please see this video as follows: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1hrms0i2LU

(Go to the 2min 20 second mark to skip forward). 

Thanks for taking the time to read through some or all of my posts and hope your be able to share any relevant knowledge you may possess.

I apologize if I offended you that was not my intention. Your questions remind me of someone who would fall down and can’t understand it without a thorough explanation of gravity.......

I agree. Air guns have to added to the NFA regulations. We can not allow people to exorcise any rights to being stupid or careless. People like this is why we are in the process of full collapse. I think the insurance industry and HHS should get together and establish rules and guide lines so we can be safe. Remember safety is always a way to be sued if not following true guide lines. Caveat Emptor