Air rifles left upright

IYes.
I was told by Hector to store my gas rams muzzle down to keep the strut/piston lubed.
I assume your upright storage may be the problem. Perhaps alternate position by month. I store all my collection vertically in old fashion locked student lockers.
👀I still learn something new EVERY day here!🤗🤩
Thank you for the information 🎩🤙

IYes.
I was told by Hector to store my gas rams muzzle down to keep the strut/piston lubed.
I assume your upright storage may be the problem. Perhaps alternate position by month. I store all my collection vertically in old fashion locked student lockers.
I store horizontal. Any danger to gas rams?
They don’t sit long. Crow

My R9 is misbehaving. Kinda feels like the piston may be slamming. And the accuracy has fallen off. I've always kept her in my upright cabinet.And I haven't shot the beeeech in awhile. Could the lubricant have settled to bottom?
There should be no liguid lube in your R9. Many late model R9s/HW95s are overlubed at the factory. That combined with piston seals that are usually scored on initial instalation burns out the original piston seals.

A chronograph will help Diagnose the rifle.

IYes.
I assume your upright storage may be the problem. Perhaps alternate position by month. I store all my collection vertically in old fashion locked student
IYes.
The R9 is not a gas ram.

Reactions: DesertSilver
As mentioned, the R9 is spring powered, not gas ram powered and the lubes shouldn't settle, so storing it upright is not a problem. Gas rammed guns only need to be stored muzzle down if you're not going to be shooting them for awhile. If they get shot fairly regularly, the silicone inside the gas ram that lubes the internal orings doesn't have time to settle.
How long have you had it and ballpark for how many shots you've taken? Accuracy problems can come from any number of things: loose stock screws, barrel might well need cleaning, dirt/grease building up around the locking wedge not allowing it to close properly. You didn't mention a scope and mounts and those could play into it too depending what you're using.
Those are the easy ones to check and what most do before tearing into the rifle.
One of the above may well sort out your accuracy problem for you and save tearing into a rifle that may well not need to be.

Reactions: DesertSilver
There should be no liguid lube in your R9. Many late model R9s/HW95s are overlubed at the factory. That combined with piston seals that are usually scored on initial instalation burns out the original piston seals.

A chronograph will help Diagnose the rifle.
What Mycapt65 said. Seal from factory over oiled/greased HW95L.

p4th2fpm.jpg

New seal.

Npg4lcLm.jpg

Factory seals are kinda sad for some reason mine just cracked looking . If your slaming you inspect the face and look for somthing like transfer port mark. Ive sern some that was so bad it looked like someone took a hole punch to it and ate a nice cut out line around the seal face..

One factory cracking and one thats new but suspect slam with port hole mark starting .
r9 seal.jpg
By the time this was pulled the spring was broken ... This seal was real loose but no transfer port marks just cracking and no burning .

slamming .jpg
Maybe 250 shots and kinda felt i need to check it .. yup , transfer port leaving it's mark.. funny this seal was not loose fitting so ???? Head scratcher. ( All from a r9) .

Reactions: Deerstalker
One more tail to tell is the stock..

That wood is kinda soft and i noticed the spots like screw holes and points the receiver set on or bed will "crush" and cause some shifting .. untill them spots harden firm or not crushing things can move or shift . You see some guys do stuff to harden the screw holes to help stop screws comming loose , but i noticed this with the receiver hard points as well.. now i shoot mine alot and i snatch it apart alot and took notice of this and today ive pretty much crushed hardened everything and dont even need loctite + the recoil has bedded the receiver and hardened that wood so i dont get " soft wood" movment . Now the receiver bedded a little off straight so its got shims in as well to aline the reciver in the stock.. phew.... Too much splaining..lol

Ol'hw/r's. A guy kinda got to season in. The first few months of new it had its good , bad, and ugly times. I guess i figured out some of these little things that just make you scratch your head on the bench.. today i can just about take the gun apart / pull out the receiver ( not changing things internal) and put it togather and shoot near the poi as bofore it too it apart . Near right back where i left it.. ( maybe dumb luck?🤔)

Reactions: HeyU
how old is the rifle time will do the seals no good either
I can't remember off the top of my head. 3 years now? There's a flicker of a memory of smelling that detonation smell. I get that sometimes with a pellet or 2 when I change to a new tin of pellets. I wash and treat my pellets so I hoped that was all it was. maybe?lol