Air Rifles as alternative to gun and ammo shortages

Airguns are toys and not weapons. You can use airguns to train, but they are not defensive weapons and are not weapons at all. Their power limitations alone bar them from categories beyond training. Air rifles are great toys and small rodent dispatchers. If you are seeking cheap target shooting or ways to dispatch starlings, airguns are here for you. Anything else you will need to look back to powder burning rifles and ammo. 

22lr is still readily available and if you train with it, I think something like a Smith & Wesson 43c is a viable pocket carry gun. It won't blow somebody's head off but it's loud and painful if not lethal when shot at close range. Which is what you want from a small CCW... basically time to get away and put distance between yourself and the threat. Besides in today's climate blowing a 45 through some vibrant personage might get you a long term vacation alongside insurec... patriots. 

Realistically I'm not going to carry a 45 24-7-365 but I can carry an 11oz J-frame with 8-shots without any burden. 

I can't imagine any scenario using an air gun for self-defense that doesn't seem to be a last ditch effort. If you're far enough away to shoot at distance you're probably better off increasing distance rather than pissing the bad guy off or revealing your position. If they are close enough to be an imminent threat then a baseball bat is a heck of a lot more reliable with quick follow up. 

Avoidance is going to be very important to any defense. Showing that you're not a murderous gun nut but simply a responsible citizen looking to avoid violent confrontations is going to be how you avoid the bogus charges these awful prosecutors are going to try to hang on anyone who defends themself.

👍
This is such good advice it is worth quoting here again. I've got a Buckmark with a 4" barrel to carry and am looking for a smaller platform. I keep a 10/22 in a closet with a 25 round magazine and a spare beside it... my Mossy 500 is by the bed. My airguns are to make food and a good spring rifle in the 14 to 20 foot pound range will do that 24 x 7 x 365, quietly and efficiently out to "far enough" yards.

Yes.

Toys don't kill you when you look down the wrong end.

Big boy toys but nevertheless toys. Weapons? Heck no.

No.

Hi guys, first post for me here. I am a noob when it comes to air guns. I watch a lot of YouTube and stumbled across a video of the crossman sbr full auto bb gun.

Well I had to have it. I love it, in less than a month of shooting a few days a week in the back yard. I have almost gone through my 6000ct crossman bb supply. 

It's great fun. I would have a hard time justifying the cost of shooting an AR that much.

For me it's great fun practicing drills and killing coke cans. 

Shooting is a perishable skill. I think any type of shooting can be good practice and it carries over to other types firearms. 

I really hope they don't label air guns as weapons.... I am afraid of future legislation that would put limitations on air guns. 

I am not sure what your definition of what a weapon is but watch a video on any of the large caliber pcp air rifles. The power is impressive, I'll leave it at that. 

I think I've started another addiction, I mean hobby. Lol.