Air Rifles as alternative to gun and ammo shortages

Hello.

I've recently got back into air rifles with a Maximus pcp 22 cal. I love this rifle, it's more accurate than I could have imagined. And, it's got me thinking and was wondering what others thought about this topic. My son and I have a variety of firearms; AR-15's, 9mm handguns, 12 gage shotguns, and some other assorted handgun calibers from 22lr to 357 magnum. All are nice museum pieces at this point in time because even though we have ammo, it's getting more difficult to actually decide to go shoot. At this point, ammo is non existent, or it's 5 times the price it was a couple years ago. And even rifles and handguns are all 'out of stock'. Same with reloading supplies. And, let's face it, the future for gun ownership is looking rather bleak right now.

With that said, it seems like air rifles and pellet ammo are still available. I wonder for how long? Seems to me that I can't be the only person thinking that if you love the sport of shooting, a good option is to get into air rifles. I'm embarrassed to say that I had no idea that air rifles are so accurate, so advanced in design, and so powerful. I'm not a hunter, but to be able to target shoot at 50 yards with an air rifle is pretty damn good. And to make it even better, it's quiet. So quiet, we shoot in our rural neighborhood, backyard.

So I'm wondering what you guys think. Like I said, I've got the Maximus which is a great starter rifle, and of course, I've got the bug already. I only paid $140 for the thing brand new a few weeks ago, and would like to step up pretty soon to something more like an Avenger, Marauder, or Gauntlet. The rifles in this category seem to be either out of stock or close to it. Do you guys think that as we move forward this year, more and more people will discover the great alternative of air rifles as the go-to sport because it's both inexpensive and available. They've got me running so scared with the shortage of firearm ammo that I'm thinking I should stock up now on any rifle or additional pellet ammo I might want down the road.

Thanks, looking forward to your comments.

22lr is still readily available and if you train with it, I think something like a Smith & Wesson 43c is a viable pocket carry gun. It won't blow somebody's head off but it's loud and painful if not lethal when shot at close range. Which is what you want from a small CCW... basically time to get away and put distance between yourself and the threat. Besides in today's climate blowing a 45 through some vibrant personage might get you a long term vacation alongside insurec... patriots. 

Realistically I'm not going to carry a 45 24-7-365 but I can carry an 11oz J-frame with 8-shots without any burden. 

I can't imagine any scenario using an air gun for self-defense that doesn't seem to be a last ditch effort. If you're far enough away to shoot at distance you're probably better off increasing distance rather than pissing the bad guy off or revealing your position. If they are close enough to be an imminent threat then a baseball bat is a heck of a lot more reliable with quick follow up. 

Avoidance is going to be very important to any defense. Showing that you're not a murderous gun nut but simply a responsible citizen looking to avoid violent confrontations is going to be how you avoid the bogus charges these awful prosecutors are going to try to hang on anyone who defends themself.

The best thing I read all day. Thank you.

You are a wise man. Thanks for putting in text some MOST important information to live by.

Thinking you or someone close to you is in law enforcement or legal field! I have heard the same sentiments from my law enforcement friends. 

I have many people get into airguns, because they like how much cheaper it can be to shoot, therefore leading to more shooting... myself included.

I started shooting airguns a couple years ago before shortages, because a 22lr YouTuber was messing around with one. It got me looking and researching, and I couldn’t be happier. It isn’t nearly as cheap equipment wise as I thought I could get away with, but that has been personal preference. 

Now, I shoot so much more because I feel like I can afford to, at 1/10th or better the ammo costs. I shoot because it is fun, and I like being able to shoot much, much more and almost as accurately as some powder burners I’ve had. 

I say give a try because it is fun and can be cheaper, but not because you don’t think you can’t get any other ammo. Supply and demand, and supply is catching back up. 

This is the reason I'm here and in to more modern air rifles.

I never gave them much notice other than the break action that I've been shooting for years, well two of them, and have to say they do what I wanted with them in keeping vermin out of the homestead.

I didn't know air rifles had progressed to where they are, and the price of buying in was so high, I would never have seen the point.

I'm loving the 25 cal Avenger (thanks all), and learning the Texan, and hopefully they will give me a lot of service.

I hope the majority of powder burner guys don’t discover airguns. Look what they’ve done to their sport/hobby. That’s why I left. All the unnecessary hoarding. Every time something happened either politically or tragically, they start hoarding. That mentality is the last thing we need with airguns. As you can see, even the OP wants to start hoarding pellets. My gun buddies have more of everything than they will ever need in a lifetime and still keep trying to buy more. It’s sad. I am very tight lipped around those guys when it comes to my airguns. My powder burners now are no longer for enjoyment, they are for hunting only. It’s a bummer that I can’t go enjoy days at the range like I used to so as you can see, I have a pretty big chip on my shoulder about how those guys act. They will be a virus to the airgun community.

I think air guns are a fun novelty for us non-felons here in the US. If and when we have to defend what we hold dear, I'll be grabbing some powder burners.

Ha ha! Someone should start a thread asking how many of us are here because we are felons and can’t buy firearms. I wonder how many there really are....

I'm a individual that has enjoyed shooting my entire life and as I have aged so has my taste for nicer things , meaning more expensive guns and ammo. I'm not a competitive shooter but I am an individual that shoots a ton, everything for handguns to precision rifles to high end speciality caliber AR's. A good day at the range is not hard to go through 300-500 rounds and as prices increased over the last few years it has taken a lot of fun out of the hobby. On top of that, in my area it is also getting a lot harder to find a range to shoot, on a Saturday, it's fairly normal to wait over 2 hrs for a indoor range and days you can't even get on a outdoor range. For these reasons I dove head 1st back into airguns and not looking back. I'm having a ton of fun, shooting every day and improving my shooting skills more than ever. Not only can you shoot right in your residential backyard, you can even shoot in your basement or garage in the winter months. I have setup a really nice 15, 20, 30, 40 & 50 yard field target range out back. Now debating if I should start selling some of my pb's but would never will part with most. The ability to just get out and shoot makes all the difference for.

I am new to airguns...In fact, today was my first time to shoot my newly acquired Wolverine R. I can already say WITH certainty, AGing is waaay more fun than I have had in a long time at the range. Fortunately, I am a member of a club with 30 plus acres of outdoor shooting venues.

I have a somewhat adequate supply of PB ammo, and components to make even more. I used to say that the reason I shoot is so I can build more reloads. I love the reloading hobby. Now, with being said, I will not pay today’s prices for components (If you can get them). So, I am treating my PB ammo and components as though that is all there is. And it may well be.

Enter AirGunning. What a pleasant breath of fresh air. I had an absolute hoot today. In fact my wife has expressed some interest in going with me soon..That right there is a bonus. Also, the ability to maybe shoot in the backyard without the chore of packing up my gear for the range is really appealing. I will be around AGing for a long while, I hope.

AirGunNation forum has been very educational. And man o man do I have a LOT to learn about AGing. I hope to be here for a lonnnng while. 

RK

My experience as both an ardent airgunner and a firearms enthusiast, is that airguns, for the most part, do not incite much excitement in the vast majority of shooters who have cut their teeth on firearms.

Time and again I have tried to enlist my shooting friends into the fraternity of airguns and have been met with not much more than polite interest and yawns. It’s not for everyone.

In fact, some of my best airgun deals have come about through the classified sections on various firearms forums. 

It is an inalienable fact that most firearms enthusiasts view airguns as novelties or toys, and thus, never the twain shall meet.

Bear in mind the Maximus is a 2000psi gun so you will get spoiled by its low start fill pressure especially if you are hand pumping so may be best to look at 200BAR (2900psi) max fill guns unless you have a 4500psi tank and a reliable source of air to fill it. It's not fun at all hand pumping past 2500psi it may kill the joy of shooting (non Benjamin Maximus-Discoverys or Old non regulated 1500psi MAC1 USFTs) PCPs.

There's a noticeable difference from pumping a Maximus to 2000psi vs a Marauder to 3000psi that may make a person want to sell it if strictly hand pumping. If pumping more than 3000psi rating or pumping a 3000psi bottle gun you may not enjoy the sport much after that. Good news is that you probably won't be buying pellets as often that's 4sure.

Then there's the sub $2600 (non Yong Heng) compressor hope and pray that it lasts that's another conversation.

Just Be mindful what guns are hand pump friendly and you will be fine.