• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A Air rifle suggestions?

I went to my uncle's house last week for vacation and brought my Avenge-X with me for something we could to together, he lives in a place with a lot of open land but no where to really go to have fun. We shot it so much that we had to go out to get more ammo (we likely shot around 400 pellets threw the week). Side note: Cheap Crossman ammo at Walmart worked really well in my gun.
He showed a great interest in getting one of his own, not so much after seeing the price tho. He kept saying something along the lines that it be a good thing to have if all hell breaks loose but more likely he just wants one to kill time. For reference: he does not hunt, only plinks targets.
I suggested he get a break action or a pump instead, but I really didn't know which to direct him toward. So, that is what I am asking here.

Here is a list of things I think he would want:
Price under $200 (lower the better)
Something that he doesn't have to baby. I honestly don't think he will take great care of it, it will likely stay in his garage and be used whenever he gets bored.
Powerful (he would likely want a .22 cal). He seemed most impressed by my guns power. He had an old BB gun that he brought out and it was like a child's toy in comparison.
Quite. Even though there is plenty of open land behind his house, he does have people living on each side of him.
30-50 yard range. This is about how far we were shooting and he seemed fine with that.
Mag or multi shot. I honestly don't know if there are any pump/break action rifles that take mags, I am really out of the loop for modern air rifles. But for him it would be a plus if possible. Not a deal breaker.

I directed him toward a Gamo Swarm Maxxim but really only because Gamo is a popular brand and it is in his budget. Any help would be appreciated.

In the price range I would say a Hatsan break barrel of some kind, I have had two Hatsan and am happy with them! but sounds like It can be a lottery on getting a good one. They have a .25 cal for around a hundred and I don't think most of the cheaper ones come in that. I have a Hatsan 130qe and shoot it all the time but isn't for everyone! If you are looking for cheap power and don't mind tinkering to smooth out the rough Hatsan is good just buy from someone that will exchange it if you happen to get a lemon. My advice is to steer away from muilti shot break barrel as the workings jam regular but I also have not had one! Never had a gamo either but am not impressed with them and most I read was bad some has been good, but not a lot

Reactions: phoenix_cow
Thanks for the advice @Oddhawk. I looked around some more about the guns and many people do seem to have problems with multi shots. Like I said this isn't a very important factor so I'll likely steer him away from those.
.25 cal won't likely work for him. He isn't exactly great with using the internet so his ammo would likely have to be from a brick and mortar store, .25 cal isn't exactly easy to come by in that way.
When you say tinkering how much do you mean? Myself, I love tinkering around with my air rifle but I'm unsure how much he would be willing to mess with it.

I'm looking at the Hatsan mod 95 Vortex QE for him. Seems like it would be a perfect fit. Anyone with experience with this?

ok.. just thinking about it,if you don't plan on scoping it, I'd recommend a Diana 34.. but I don't remember the price.. but should be around your price range if you catch it on sale..like today and tomorrow pyramid air has a 20% off sale..I had one in 177.. not too heavy, brake barrel..
if you were going to scope it, I wouldn't go with a brake barrel.. side lever like a Diana 48 or their under lever..177 is flattered shooting but 22 is more forgiving in the wind.
so other than a occasional oil drop in the chamber and wipe down with a oil cloth.. shouldn't need anything but ready for whatever he wants to do..
should be fine in the garage providing it's dry so it doesn't rust..
I had both the 34&48.. you can pm me if you have any questions about them.. they just shoot and are trouble free..
that said I hope they are still made the same.. mine were probably around 30 years ago.. and I seem to remember that they were called rws Diana.. so I don't know if I remember wrong or if they are identical.
Mark

@markhooper The Diana 34/48 seems outside his price range (best prices I could find were $400+).
I was looking at the Diana Two-Fifty which fits nicely in his price range. I have seen some reviews on it, seems like it is a good rifle with a crap trigger.
I totally agree with you..I guess I'm a little bit partial to Beeman and Diana since I had them when I was younger..were very good quality back then..also I agree with the suggestion of the notos and hand pump but again it's out of the price range..
but I thought I saw one that is close. so I had to look it up.. if it is something he wants it's on sale for today and tomorrow with a additional 20% off so it just might be in the price range..I hadn't noticed that it's a reconditioned one but it should be good.. warranty is less than new.
it's a Diana 34.at pyramid air.. I'm going to try to attach a picture of the page. but it's 20% less than what the picture is currently.. they only have a couple in 177 right now.
Mark

Screenshot_20240521-141154.png

Screenshot_20240521-141141.png

@markhooper The Diana 34/48 seems outside his price range (best prices I could find were $400+).
I was looking at the Diana Two-Fifty which fits nicely in his price range. I have seen some reviews on it, seems like it is a good rifle with a crap trigger.
You can get RWS 34 close to or under $200 at Ebay and Gunbroker at times. (https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search/completed?Keywords=RWS 34&Timeframe=1&Sort=1&PageSize=48). Those cheap ones on Gunbroker were 177. Thinking it would be higher price for a 22 cal. I would give Mike Melick at Flying Dragons a call and see what he has within your budget.
Best Airgun
208 Walnut St. Burt, IA
Phone#– 515-924-3699
Email- [email protected]
He sells tuned Chinese Xisco air rifles which some are copies of Diana air rifles. He takes them apart and tunes them so quality is good so you avoid most of the QA/QC issues people have with these guns. I think he has a Xisco clone of a Diana/RWS 34 called the XS 25.though not sure if they look identical. (https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=93896.0) With the tune, may be out of your price range. I cannot tell the difference between my Flying Dragons tuned Xisco B28 in looks and performance from my more expensive RWS/Diana 350. Per that Gateway to Airguns attached thread, the Ruger Air Hawk and Night Hawk are also Diana 34 clones if going the cheap route.

Last edited:
I
Thanks for the advice @Oddhawk. I looked around some more about the guns and many people do seem to have problems with multi shots. Like I said this isn't a very important factor so I'll likely steer him away from those.
.25 cal won't likely work for him. He isn't exactly great with using the internet so his ammo would likely have to be from a brick and mortar store, .25 cal isn't exactly easy to come by in that way.
When you say tinkering how much do you mean? Myself, I love tinkering around with my air rifle but I'm unsure how much he would be willing to mess with it.

I'm looking at the Hatsan mod 95 Vortex QE for him. Seems like it would be a perfect fit. Anyone with experience with this?
Yeah.25 is for everyone because of having to order it! Lol the ones I have had were decent I just shot out of the box till I had to tinker, smoothing burrs, cleaning up In my experience! I would do something with a coil spring instead of a gas ram if it's going to sit, the seals dry out in the gas ram and is recommended to store those muzzle down to keep oil on them. I think a 95 would be a good one if you get a good one! I am by no means a expert and going with more common calibers also opens more options. I also have a Benjamin prowler in 22 that I really like! The trigger is lawyered but is a nice rifle for what I paid,

@markhooper Not sure why but those were not showing up for me earlier when I looked, but they are now. Definitely something to show him.
only reason I knew was I was watching the sale for Diana, wasn't interested in a brake barrel but tempted to get a Diana 48 or 460 in refurbished.. I've had a 48 in 22 before and it was really good but a bit heavier than the 34.. looks like the 460 is lighter on cocking lbs and slightly lighter on the overall weight
.does anyone have experience with the 460? good or bad?
Mark

As suggested above, talk to Mike at Flying Dragon Air Rifles. The B26 is a very good copy of the HW95/Beeman R9 and if he wants a little more power, the B28 is a clone of the Diana 350. Both can be had in .22 and Mike will tune them any way you want him to.
There's also the B25 which is the D34 clone and the same rifle as the XS25. I had one in .22 that was a very good shooter and now owned by fellow member @LtDan after I sent him a quite large surprise box in the mail...lol.

Flying dragon would be my first stop to check for an affordable, high performance air rifle. Yep that’s chinese stuff but Mike Melick is a true professional who knows how to get the most out of them.

Other than that, you can start him off cheap on a Crosman Optimus or Vantage. The Vantage has a nitro piston so he may like it better, newcomers are typically turned off by spring noise. They are rebranded chinese gamo clones but they are also built of wood and steel, and will probably hang with or surpass any break barrel gun from Gamo.

In the price range I would say a Hatsan break barrel of some kind, I have had two Hatsan and am happy with them! but sounds like It can be a lottery on getting a good one. They have a .25 cal for around a hundred and I don't think most of the cheaper ones come in that. I have a Hatsan 130qe and shoot it all the time but isn't for everyone! If you are looking for cheap power and don't mind tinkering to smooth out the rough Hatsan is good just buy from someone that will exchange it if you happen to get a lemon. My advice is to steer away from muilti shot break barrel as the workings jam regular but I also have not had one! Never had a gamo either but am not impressed with them and most I read was bad some has been good, but not a lot
.25 pellets are $$ to shoot regularly , for this case i would stay with Heavy .22 , much easier to handle than .177
AND you can always get an Xmass present for him in .25

.25 pellets are $$ to shoot regularly , for this case i would stay with Heavy .22 , much easier to handle than .177
AND you can always get an Xmass present for him in .25
I had thought about that after I posted it, I was thinking though my brain again! Lol. I cast most of my projectiles and didn't think of cost or availability not being for everyone, heck! I don't shoot anything much if I have to buy for it.