• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air Rifle suddenly inaccurate.

I have a Crosman 1377 air pistol converted to an air rifle by adding a longer barrel, and I added a makeshift butt-stock. It was shooting fine for the week that I used it, it shot right where I aimed with the sights, One day I fired a few shots then put it down, then the next day I picked it up again to shoot, and suddenly it started shooting in the wrong direction. I couldn't explain why. Nothing with the rifle seemed wrong. I looked down the barre and it seemed fine. I test shot some rounds and noticed it was shooting 2 inches to the right and 4 inches below where I aimed. but the pattern was quite consistent, about 1 inch radius I used different pellet weights and shapes. test fired from 12 meters. To mention, my eyesight is not as sharp as it used to be, I have astigmatism, but I often squint when aiming to try to sharpen my eyesight, but I'm still a good marksman. I aim with the sights , making sure the front sight is right in the middle between the slit of the rear sight, and that the top of the front sight is level with the top of the rear sight. 

So I adjusted and re calibrated the sights a bit to the right and test fired 2 shots. This time the pellets hit dead-on, although an inch below where I aimed. Maybe I should test fire some more? But what mystifies me is why the air rifle suddenly changed direction overnight without explanation.

Everything has a reason. Possibly one of the sights was not torqued down properly and eventually vibrated loose one day. Perhaps the sight was bumped when being put away after shooting...etc, etc....the consistency of the new pattern supports a misadjusted sight and/or loose mounts.

This, of course, assumes you didn't use the barrel for an emergency jack handle at any time, nor drive nails with the butt stock!

We've all been there, or somewhere similar. Just keep adjusting till it hits, then torque it down tight! Sounds like a fine gun modded to your specific needs.

Hoot

check your mounting screws for the replacement barrel to make sure that they are tight. It's common for something to shift especially if you lean the gun against the barrel or if it falls over or you handle it by the longer barrel. Check the sites for looseness and re zero as necessary. Also you might want to try cleaning the barrel. If you think it is no longer shooting as fast as it was you may have a leak in the transfer Port between the barrel and valve which will throw off your zero.