• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

air rifle recommendations for NRL22

Hello fellow shooters! What are your recommendations for a decent air rifle for NRL22 for under $1000? I wish I had the money for a new FX Impact. But one of those cost more than several of my centerfire powder burners put together. 😲

I have a Benjamin Discovery, but that is only a single shot.

I was thinking of the following:

Hatsan Neutronstar (after looking at the video about the Novastar .25 at a NRL22 match)

Benjamin Kratos

Umarex Gauntlet

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Reactions: beerthief
I just shot my first NRL22 match last month in with a couple of other airgunners on my squad. One of my squad members is using a .30 Impact with 44gr JSBs and the other is using a .25 MKI Impact with JSB Kings. Both are Team K&L shooters, so their rifles are setup for NRL22 with the K&L treatment (lower and upper rails, adjustable stocks, very durablr and fitting for the league).

I had personally chosen to use a power tuned .22 Taipan Veteran with 40gr Griffin RBTs (BC 0.161-0.163), since I feel that it levels the playing field for power and ballistics shooting about the same as a 22 rimfire with an 18-20 inch barrel with Lapua type ammo.

My experience and observations thus far have been that the JSB Kings are VERY hard to spot for target impacts. The .30 Impact did pretty well, but I suspect that they will both consider switching to slugs once our weather changes for the worse here in the PNW!

As for my Vet, I shot like crap that day because I had little time to put the rifle together for the event (I had short notice and chose to join last minute). I'll be prepared for this month's shoot for sure though lol

Another observation during last month's shoot is that us airgunners have a lot more gear to manage than the rimfire guys! Make sure you manage your gear in a way that doesn't get in the way of others, and definitely make sure that you are operating in a SAFE manner at all times! (Muzzle control while refilling, et al).

for under 1000 is a tuff one. I’d stick with a side lever cocking action, and something with at least 10 round mags, in .25 if you’re going to shoot pellets, and .22 for slugs. Maybe try the Avenger tune it up hot and it will get ya going. I’d really try to get at least a dreamline classic if possible witch is just a bit more than 1000 

My advise is to pick your ammo first then find a rifle that shoots it well. I'm shooting .22 slugs. The ballistics coefficient is as much as 4x better than pellets and there are slug light enough to keep the trajectory relatively flat. Plus you'll get more shots per fill than with .25 or .30. For something like NRL where one target might be at 40 yds and another over 100 yds, a flatter trajectory will help a lot.

Lower cost rifles I'm using are the Benjamin Cayden and AEA HP Varmint.

Wel….

in the Netherlands i am setting up NRL and i am going to use my trusted Priest with the aftermarket sidelever!
scope is the Optisan EVX 24 x

6ED21262-047C-43DF-8F2F-5936394C802B.jpeg

CA2A5819-91DC-49B1-B3AD-8FFC2D6DB446.jpeg

Reactions: rsfrid
I just shot my first NRL22 match last month in with a couple of other airgunners on my squad. One of my squad members is using a .30 Impact with 44gr JSBs and the other is using a .25 MKI Impact with JSB Kings. Both are Team K&L shooters, so their rifles are setup for NRL22 with the K&L treatment (lower and upper rails, adjustable stocks, very durablr and fitting for the league).

I had personally chosen to use a power tuned .22 Taipan Veteran with 40gr Griffin RBTs (BC 0.161-0.163), since I feel that it levels the playing field for power and ballistics shooting about the same as a 22 rimfire with an 18-20 inch barrel with Lapua type ammo.

My experience and observations thus far have been that the JSB Kings are VERY hard to spot for target impacts. The .30 Impact did pretty well, but I suspect that they will both consider switching to slugs once our weather changes for the worse here in the PNW!

As for my Vet, I shot like crap that day because I had little time to put the rifle together for the event (I had short notice and chose to join last minute). I'll be prepared for this month's shoot for sure though lol

Another observation during last month's shoot is that us airgunners have a lot more gear to manage than the rimfire guys! Make sure you manage your gear in a way that doesn't get in the way of others, and definitely make sure that you are operating in a SAFE manner at all times! (Muzzle control while refilling, et al).
Where do you shoot? I shot my first match this weekend and did well with my Crown Mk II. The match I attended was in Bothell. What was the scores the air gunners were putting out?
Thank in advance

Where do you shoot? I shot my first match this weekend and did well with my Crown Mk II. The match I attended was in Bothell. What was the scores the air gunners were putting out?
Thank in advance
I defected from the west coast, but there's a regular match held down in Renton (go to NRL22.org to find clubs).

Hello fellow shooters! What are your recommendations for a decent air rifle for NRL22 for under $1000? I wish I had the money for a new FX Impact. But one of those cost more than several of my centerfire powder burners put together. 😲

I have a Benjamin Discovery, but that is only a single shot.

I was thinking of the following:

Hatsan Neutronstar (after looking at the video about the Novastar .25 at a NRL22 match)

Benjamin Kratos

Umarex Gauntlet

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
so sell one or two of your powder burners and buy the FX or what ever you want in an Air rifle . i have sold most of my PB's to buy air
I only now have PB's that i use , one bench rest and two pistols , one shotgun . .
i use air against PB's in NRL.22

so sell one or two of your powder burners and buy the FX or what ever you want in an Air rifle . i have sold most of my PB's to buy air
I only now have PB's that i use , one bench rest and two pistols , one shotgun . .
i use air against PB's in NRL.22
Ditto. I sold off my safe queens and guns that were nice to own during the covid hoax ammo rape. I put all the money into airguns and an Alkin and accessories. 90,000+ pellets and slugs on the shelf and shooting 500 pellets at a range session is cheaper than two meals at Micky Dee’s.

Reactions: beerthief
Ditto. I sold off my safe queens and guns that were nice to own during the covid hoax ammo rape. I put all the money into airguns and an Alkin and accessories. 90,000+ pellets and slugs on the shelf and shooting 500 pellets at a range session is cheaper than two meals at Micky Dee’s.
yes and healthier too

Reactions: scubajeeper