• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air Rifle Moose!

I finally got it done. I filled my once in a lifetime moose tag with my Hatsan Piledriver.457.
IMG_6807.jpeg
It was a tough hunt. My tag was in unit 63a in Idaho which is a short range weapon only hunt. It is legal to hunt with bow, muzzleloader, shotgun slug, pistol or rifle with pistol ammo, and air rifle. 85% of the unit is private property, irrigated crops. The public land is mostly accessible from the river so a boat is invaluable. We hunted for 9 days with a break last week to help out a friend’s family after he died from a stroke. The river has been dropping very fast in the last few days and is becoming treacherous to navigate in the jet boat. We got back to the hunting area on Sunday evening ( 8 hour drive from home) and headed out Monday morning. I had been seeing good sign on the island where my game camera is located so we started there. Just got the boat tied up and heard several shots from duck hunters. We baled on that island and went up the river a couple miles. We parked the boat and walked about 100 yards from the boat and started cow calling. Called for about 20 minutes when we heard a bull grunt. He was only about 60 yards but in thick brush. He hung up there and would come into the open. After a few minutes he decided he had enough and left. We snuck around down wind and called again and here he came! He came in to about 17 yards and I was able to get him to stop broadside. The Piledriver did the trick. I used 500 grain bullets that I cast myself. He went about 10 yards and stopped again broadside. I gave him a second shot. He just stood there for a bit then laid down. We watched him until he gave up the ghost. It took us from 9am until 5:30 to get him broken down and to the boat launch. It was just me and my wife until the last hour when we recruited a savior to give us a hand. Thanks Preston!!

I finally got it done. I filled my once in a lifetime moose tag with my Hatsan Piledriver.457.
View attachment 397136It was a tough hunt. My tag was in unit 63a in Idaho which is a short range weapon only hunt. It is legal to hunt with bow, muzzleloader, shotgun slug, pistol or rifle with pistol ammo, and air rifle. 85% of the unit is private property, irrigated crops. The public land is mostly accessible from the river so a boat is invaluable. We hunted for 9 days with a break last week to help out a friend’s family after he died from a stroke. The river has been dropping very fast in the last few days and is becoming treacherous to navigate in the jet boat. We got back to the hunting area on Sunday evening ( 8 hour drive from home) and headed out Monday morning. I had been seeing good sign on the island where my game camera is located so we started there. Just got the boat tied up and heard several shots from duck hunters. We baled on that island and went up the river a couple miles. We parked the boat and walked about 100 yards from the boat and started cow calling. Called for about 20 minutes when we heard a bull grunt. He was only about 60 yards but in thick brush. He hung up there and would come into the open. After a few minutes he decided he had enough and left. We snuck around down wind and called again and here he came! He came in to about 17 yards and I was able to get him to stop broadside. The Piledriver did the trick. I used 500 grain bullets that I cast myself. He went about 10 yards and stopped again broadside. I gave him a second shot. He just stood there for a bit then laid down. We watched him until he gave up the ghost. It took us from 9am until 5:30 to get him broken down and to the boat launch. It was just me and my wife until the last hour when we recruited a savior to give us a hand. Thanks Preston!!
I'm exhausted , have aching muscles , starving & dying of thirst , and that's just from reading your story !! Congrats !

Reactions: N2 Shooter