• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

air rifle laws and regs in your state.

Laws are often written to be contradictory. That way, they can be subjectively applied on a case by case basis.
Perhaps this happens, but it's not the product of good lawyering. Good lawyers spend a lot of time writing things to be as unambiguous as possible. Sometimes the definitions of words and terms is as long as the document itself, in an attempt to avoid ambiguity. I'm not a lawyer, but I worked a lot with lawyers in drafting commercial documents, and it's not easy to do well. But as with many things, it's easy to do poorly!

Well at least here in Texas you can use an air gun for hunting
here's the Regulation for Air Guns and air Arrow guns

Air Guns and Arrow Guns​

Alligator, game animals, furbearers, squirrels, and non-migratory game birds (except eastern turkey) may be hunted with air guns and arrow guns provided:

• alligators, bighorn sheep, javelina, mule deer, white-tailed deer, pronghorn, and turkey (except eastern turkey) may be taken only with pre-charged pneumatic arrow guns, or pre-charged pneumatic air guns.
  • pre-charged pneumatic air guns must fire a projectile of at least .30 caliber in diameter and at least 150 grains in weight with a minimum muzzle velocity of 800 feet per second or any combination of bullet weight and muzzle velocity that produces muzzle energy of at least 215 foot pounds of energy.
  • squirrels, pheasant, quail, and chachalaca may be hunted with air guns that fire a projectile of at least .177 caliber (4.5mm) in diameter producing a muzzle velocity of at least 600 feet per second.
  • arrows or bolts used with an arrow gun must conform to the same standards for projectiles for archery.
  • arrow guns may not be used to hunt deer or wild turkey during archery season

Air Guns and Arrow Guns​

Alligator, game animals, furbearers, squirrels, and non-migratory game birds (except eastern turkey) may be hunted with air guns and arrow guns provided:

• alligators, bighorn sheep, javelina, mule deer, white-tailed deer, pronghorn, and turkey (except eastern turkey) may be taken only with pre-charged pneumatic arrow guns, or pre-charged pneumatic air guns.
  • pre-charged pneumatic air guns must fire a projectile of at least .30 caliber in diameter and at least 150 grains in weight with a minimum muzzle velocity of 800 feet per second or any combination of bullet weight and muzzle velocity that produces muzzle energy of at least 215 foot pounds of energy.
  • squirrels, pheasant, quail, and chachalaca may be hunted with air guns that fire a projectile of at least .177 caliber (4.5mm) in diameter producing a muzzle velocity of at least 600 feet per second.
  • arrows or bolts used with an arrow gun must conform to the same standards for projectiles for archery.
Also don't forget furbearers have a minimum 30 cal pcp requirement but the 215 fpe does not apply to them.

Air Guns and Arrow Guns​

What the heck is chachalaca????? Is that like a pigmy chupacabra?

Those laws are just about as good as you could hope for. Nice, clear, and concise. Be nice if those were just a lay of the land law. It would also be nice if they would spell out varmits and intrusive animals such as starlings and ringneck doves, but that’s a pretty good start.

Those laws are just about as good as you could hope for. Nice, clear, and concise. Be nice if those were just a lay of the land law. It would also be nice if they would spell out varmits and intrusive animals such as starlings and ringneck doves, but that’s a pretty good start.
The Plain Chachalaca is a galliform bird from the genus Ortalis found in wooded habitats in the far southern United States, Mexico, and Central and South America. It is a long-tailed, tropical chicken that lives in the treetops and walks along tree branches to eat flowers, buds, fruits, and insects. They are social, can be very noisy, and often remain fairly common even near humans. The English name "chachalaca" is a transliteration of the "ear-splitting," raucous calls of flocks, heard most frequently during the morning hours of the long breeding season. It taste like Beaver.

Reactions: Exodus
They changed our laws to include fur takers, Bobcat, Coyote, Fox, Fishers etc. it’s a hoot In the late fall and winter here!
IMG_9273.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
We can hunt small game in Pennsylvania with .17 through .22 caliber airguns making my FX Impact in .25 caliber illegal. Typical government regulations.

But no hunting Whitetail or Turkey with airguns in PA. And honestly, who gives a crap about any game but that. If you're shooting small varmints you might as well skip the hunting license, use a slingshot and who cares, except your wife who complains about eating "roadkill" for dinner and you making her learn how to skin them.

Luckily deer and turkey walk right by my house all the time and it's an easy kill with a bow + arrow. But I'd much rather shoot 'em with an airgun. A little more precise, don't you think?

Most states to the south of us, it's pretty much unregulated. Or I should say, regulated the same as any other rifle. The Carolinas in particular seem very airgun friendly.

But no hunting Whitetail or Turkey with airguns in PA. And honestly, who gives a crap about any game but that.

That's OK. They come right next to my house within archery range anyway. But I'd still rather use an airgun.

Luckily for most states to the south of us, it's pretty much unregulated. Or I should say, regulated the same as any other rifle. The Carolinas in particular seem very airgun friendly.
I agree, but like everything else PA will either find another way to tax it or screw us out of it all together

I agree, but like everything else PA will either find another way to tax it or screw us out of it all together

Between the fishing regulations where every stream and puddle has different rules, and the CCW regulations where you can probably get screwed for having an airgun in the vehicle by a cranky cop...

Well I have found it to be a beautiful state with quite lovely people. The Amish farmers here are truly the salt of the earth and a blessing to the rest of us. But I will probably be moving on down to deeper Appalachia now that another move has been forced on our family. Better airgun hunting laws would sure be a big bonus too!

Reactions: cavedweller
Between the fishing regulations where every stream and puddle has different rules, and the CCW regulations where you can probably get screwed for having an airgun in the vehicle by a cranky cop...

Well I have found it to be a beautiful state with quite lovely people. The Amish farmers here are truly the salt of the earth and a blessing to the rest of us. But I will probably be moving on down to deeper Appalachia now that another move has been forced on our family. Better airgun hunting laws would sure be a big bonus too!
You aren’t kidding, you definitely need a lawyer present when buying a license or a tag, and it gets worse by the year.

I can’t blame you, WV has some pretty relaxed laws!

Reactions: silvershooter589
Norway rules:
-Only gunpowder weapons allowed for hunt, or pest control. (Airguns, bow/crossbow, blow pipe or slingers etc is not allowed for hunt in Norway)
-Anyone 18+ can buy a .177 airgun without any police approval. (No velocity limits pr. now, but this was a subject by the last change in the weapon law)
-For larger caliber than 4.5mm/.177 you`ll have to have a police permit.
-Weapon cabinet for storage is required for all burners, and for airguns with caliber larger than .177
You can only own 8 burners (rifles or shotguns) for hunting, but there is no number limitations when it comes to airguns.
No restrictions for the use of moderators/silencers.

Invasive species and non-furbearing pests have no regulation on what type of weapon used to take and no limit, so anything is ok to kill them.

Regulations are pretty simple in Maine. There are only two state airgun regulations. You have to be at least 16 to buy one, and convicted felons are not allowed to buy or possess an airgun.

In regards to hunting, you can hunt anything up to and including moose and bear with an airgun. Speaking to our local Game Warden, his advice is the obvious. Be sure your airgun has the necessary foot-pounds of energy to ensure a quick ethical kill just as you would if you hunt with a firearm.

Reactions: cavedweller

Air Guns and Arrow Guns​

Heading out to Texas this year to turkey hunt I have a swa .20 gauge air shot gun built by Terry Tate any feedback on that gun