Air rifle for Grandson

Will be used for 15-30 yard target shooting in a neighborhood back yard, so noise is a consideration. Would like to stay under $500, $250 for scope and $250 for rifle.

Not going to recommend a PCP because of the huge operating expense.

How many shots do you get from the little co2 cylinder? Are bigger cylinders readily available? How may shots? My thinking is the co2 wouldn't eat scopes like a springer, it would be like a PCP for recoil. What co2 rifle do you recommend for quality, accuracy? Best bang for the buck!

I know Springers can get very expensive. So I will ask the same questions. Best bang for the buck.

Take a look a crosman 2240 with some type of stock attached.

Screenshot_20240124_132809_Samsung Internet.jpg

Reactions: maxtrouble
XS60C CO2 rifle
Small.
20240124_142002~2.jpg
Very accurate with some power. Its a beautiful wood stocked rifle too, no cocking just load and shoot. No recoil. Get the full power tune ask Mike to do it when ordered $150 shipped. Flying Dragon Airguns. His website is being redone but you can call him. A excellent rifle for what your looking for.

This rifle with a good scope for way under $500 it will last a lifetime if taken care of.

Last edited:
How old is the grandson? The HW30S.It's small, easy to cock rifle called the Weirauch HW30S .177cal) ( $260.oo ) from Krales,,. Hawke scope (Vantage 2-7 X 32) $125.oo. from Pyramid Air. While your at Pyramid Air pick up a set of scope rings, (BKL 1" Rings ($26.00), and grab 4 tins of pellets. For my HW30S I bought (H&N Field Target Trophy .177cal,,, 8.64 grain... Head Size .4.50/4.51/4.52 and the 4th tin is free so u might as well grab a tin of H&N Barracuda Match 10.65gr. And then get some targets like the Air Venturi crazy eight reset taget, and that should do him for awhile. He can get creative if he wants more targets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raysfan
If you want to save some money the Cometa 220 is a nice choice. Its similar to the R7 power wise so its easy to cock, quiet, and won't eat scopes. You can toss a cheap Hammers scope from Amazon on there and you'll be less than $300 into a great little gun without having to worry about CO2 costs. That being said, the R7 is definitely a nicer all around gun. Whether it is almost $200 nicer or not really depends on you and your grandson.

An AR2078 or QB78 will give 60 good shots from a pair of co2 cartidges. That's if the temp is above 60-degrees-f. They're single shots, so a kid learns to appreciate the effort that goes into making each shot count.

But they need a little work before being put into use. Lots of sharp edges and machining burrs are normal with the current Beeman crop.

I'd avoid a springer because they have to be held differently than standard air-arms do. A beginning kid has enough on his plate without having to learn the finer points of the 'artillery hold'.

Cheers,

J~

light weight SSP and $139 with LW barrel , used to train future Olympic shooters . Scroll to bottom of page . Daisy 853 a smaller rifle perfect for kids .
very accurate with the lothar walther barrel (you will like it also ) P.S. several guys on AGN shoot these Daisy 853

A 2240 carbine from the Crosman Custom Shop is another good idea. its a fun website if you haven’t been there before. You can custom order from the many options available. Get a steel breach, a nice Walther barrel and other options. You can also choose .177 or .22. You can even get your grandson’s name engraved on the frame. I have ordered a 2240 as a pistol from the Custom Shop and just recently had them make a 1377 carbine for me.
Then check out a company called Buckrail where you can order nice accessories and even a moderator to make it extra quiet for your backyard. They have great prices too.
Kenny

Reactions: SteveV
I would stay away from CO2 rifles, the capsules are not cheap, fluctuate when power gets low, they don't perform well in cold. Pumps get old, when my two boys were growing up, the pumping factor made them loose interest quickly. Both started with R7 and even competed with them in FT competition and did very well !! After the 4-5 years of use, they moved up to full size rifles and sold there R7 for more than I bought them for.

Look at the Seneca Aspen Multi-Pump PCP Pellet Air Rifle. It's not C02 but allot better for around $350. It comes in .177, .22, and .25. It would give him unlimited shooting. Also, you can reduce the cost on the scope and still get decent quality for backyard shooting under $150. This keeps you within budget. Plenty of YouTube videos show this rifle capabilities and hitting less than 1" groups at 50 yards. After so many pumps, you shoot away and don't pump again until you go through a couple magazines or 30-40 shots or more on one fill. Better than pumping after every single shot.

Last edited:
Will be used for 15-30 yard target shooting in a neighborhood back yard, so noise is a consideration. Would like to stay under $500, $250 for scope and $250 for rifle.

Not going to recommend a PCP because of the huge operating expense.

How many shots do you get from the little co2 cylinder? Are bigger cylinders readily available? How may shots? My thinking is the co2 wouldn't eat scopes like a springer, it would be like a PCP for recoil. What co2 rifle do you recommend for quality, accuracy? Best bang for the buck!

I know Springers can get very expensive. So I will ask the same questions. Best bang for the buck.
Benjamin pump or any good pump gun

Reactions: SHOMER
A used RWS 34, HW 30 or HW 50 would work. A used HW may get you in your price range. I like the RWS 34 as most bang for the buck,. Good accuracy, good quality and power enough for small game hunting or pest control.

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/spring-piston/rws-model-34/ -$255

Flying Dragons use to have a RWS 34 Chinese clone from Xisco that was cheaper and good quality. Not sure if they still do as previous poster said website is down for reconstruction. Suppose you could call him. I would pay to get it supertuned by Flying Dragons which ups the price. Highest UTG scope you can afford as far as scoping any airgun. I like the UTG 3-12 Bugbuster.

As far as a pumper, I would get or borrow a cheap Crossman 760 or better yet the Daisy 880 from Walmart and see if he likes it before going for a quality pumper. The pumping does get old but is fun for me as it reminds me of my childhood as I have the same exact guns I had or wanted as a child. If I was just starting out in airguns, I would have gone solely with springers.