Air rifle cat/dog deterrent question

As I do live out in the middle of nowhere and on a farm with chickens, cattle and as well as other livestock. I've had dog/cat issues. I've knocked on doors and asked neighbors (not that I have any close) about their pets. (If it was their pets) about the damages their pets cause and asked to keep an eye on them.. the usual response is "that's why I live in the country so I dont have to chain them up" some offer to pay for damages and keep an eye on their pets.. the ones that are repeat offenders and I've actually seen killing my chickens get the rimfire treatment. Some just wonder through and get a pass as they are just being dogs sniffing around..Cats are rather a huge problem. Well use to be...same treatment. Airgun serves a better purpose than to sting or potentially cause a dog/cat permanent damage... use your powder burners. 

Reactions: Ezana4CE
My daughter in upstate Montana had this problem and she tried the pellet sting to the rearend. It would shoo them away, but the next day they would return. At 7 1/2 months pregnant on a very hot July night, she heard the crys of her rabbits, chickens, and goats. Momma and her .410 dispatched 3 feral dogs and she's been able to sleep through the night since. At least until the baby was born. 

I don't know your situation exactly, but a good "highly territorial" dog should suffice unless the cats coming onto your property are "big cats" like cougars. 

Our dog loves chasing everything away from our property: squirrel, raccoon, eagle, cat, dog. She draws the line at big people. For them, she just barks. But if it weighs less than her, she'll attack. 

The last dog attack we had cost over $1,000. There is very little legal recourse for damages other than suing and proving it was their dog. The law is on the side of the defendant. 

A .25 airgun works well, as does buckshot.

If you don't want to kill them, use a wadcutter. But be warned, dogs generally get smarter from education, and they know what a screen door sounds like.

Hi, I am looking for an air rifle that is extremely accurate but not very strong. I live on a farm and we have had several cats and dogs come on our property and kill our chickens and rabbits. I am hoping to find a really accurate rifle that I can hit them from about 40 yards out without killing them. I saw a guy that said the vintage crosman 760 pumpmasters are the way to go as they were made much better than the current ones. I know I may have to lurk on eBay for a while or pay top dollar but that's fine. I was going to get a $250 gamo but I learned that would likely kill a cat which I would prefer to not do. I will have this rifle for a long time so I don't mind going all out trying to find the best for the job. I know being accurate at that distance without being too powerful may be tough but thought I'd check with you guys. Thanks!!

I grew up on a 6200 acre farm. We were also surrounded by a National Forest on two sides. We had 700 plus cattle, sheep, goats, horses, chickens and it was common to have to deal with something killing them. I now live on a 16 acre place and just lost 7 of my chickens to dogs.

The world has changed, people have changed, in todays world that dog killing your chickens or sheep have more rights than you do. You could very well end up spending quite a sum defending yourself in court.

I do not believe in ever wounding any animal. I would not use any air rifle either if I wanted to get rid of some dog killing my animals. Nope, I will pick up my .22 Marlin Winchester Magnum Rimfire and make a clean headshot and be done with it. I will then bury the dog and keep my mouth shut. Do not even go try to talk to the owner if you do know who owns the dog, they will more than likely be arrogant and in general totally unhelpful and now you have tipped your hand that you are the one having a problem. 

Nope do not wound, do not use an air rifle, use a rifle with the power to make a sure quick clean kill and then become mute. 

I am one who loves animals and I generally plant a little extra sweet corn for the squirrels. I do not like to kill, however nothing pisses me off more than some dog killing my stock. It is the fault of ownership as the owners simply let the dogs run loose. Yep they have laws around here to keep them confined, however that is totally worthless as people just ignore it.

Remember the world has changed, be careful. 

Cheers

Kit

A radio set on a talk show station left playing in an outbuilding will keep them away pretty good, they hate the human voices. 
I am able to scare cats away with noise, I put a piece of steel next to the area they always spray on the side of my shop. Then whenever it see a cat in the area I shoot the piece of metal with a pellet and it scares it away. Sounds like you might have to be even more forceful since they are there for food. Good luck!

Hi, I am looking for an air rifle that is extremely accurate but not very strong. I live on a farm and we have had several cats and dogs come on our property and kill our chickens and rabbits. I am hoping to find a really accurate rifle that I can hit them from about 40 yards out without killing them. I saw a guy that said the vintage crosman 760 pumpmasters are the way to go as they were made much better than the current ones. I know I may have to lurk on eBay for a while or pay top dollar but that's fine. I was going to get a $250 gamo but I learned that would likely kill a cat which I would prefer to not do. I will have this rifle for a long time so I don't mind going all out trying to find the best for the job. I know being accurate at that distance without being too powerful may be tough but thought I'd check with you guys. Thanks!!

Lol a tad inhumane to have intent to shoot them but not kill 😂.

I’d suggest investing into trapping equipment (cages etc) and bait them with cat/dog foods. And relocating them awhile away so they won’t be a pain in the ass for you, only because you mentioned not killing them

This is NOT a joke! Get a DONKEY. May sound funny but it is real. We use them here in Fl on most farms. Your attacks are most likely at night while you sleep and a firearm or air rifle will be useless as you are sleeping. We have feral cats, coydogs and yotes here in large numbers. Donkeys woop dat butt!!! Ask a farmer before you just start shooting.

I have to agree. Years ago, I had a small farm with horses, chickens, and a lot of barn cats. The bluff behind our property was riddled with coyote dens, and it was a rare morning when we weren’t missing some livestock or pet. The ex bought a donkey, and the losses dropped to nil. No more nights listening to the coyotes howl, but I did have to adapt to the donkey braying.