Air Marksman VS Joe B SCBA

Hello,
My compressor just kicked the bucket and i’ve been throwing around the idea of getting an SCBA tank.
After reading through a bunch of threads it seems like Joe B’s tanks get a lot of great reviews.
Utah Air and some other retailers sell the Air Marksman tanks.
Are Joe B tanks worth the price difference? I’d be looking at ~$850 shipped for the “9l” AM or ~$1100 for the Great White with all the bells and whistles. Not a whole lot of difference in the grand scheme of things especially considering the GW is made in the USA.
I think I already know which one I want but thought i’d see if anyone had some insight lol.

Reactions: Tmjvb
You can find SCBA tanks with years still left on them & full DOT & all other required certifications for less than half that 900 & some $ price tag. (Try ebay or a fire equipment distributor ) Personally I never understood paying nearly a grand for a tank but that's me, YMMV.
So you pay $300 for a tank that is 10 years old. Then what? Just buy another in 5 years?

I went with the bare GW tank from JB: https://www.topgun-airguns.com/product/great-white-bottle-only/ ($638.99) Good for 30 years with proper testing.

Added a Saber Tactical valve: https://sabertacticalinc.com/products/tank-valve-st0031 ($200)

Added a boot: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SKJ99WI/ ($15.99)

A mesh protector: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AY5P96Q/ ($8.99)

And a bag: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H59GB2V/ ($59.00)

$922.97 less sales tax from Amazon.
Did you need to get a fill adapter to get it filled? I want to get away from the compressor and have a SCBA company that can fill it near me.

All from ebay $100 max.

20220524_084054.jpg

Reactions: elwoodblues
My paintball store (only place that can fill to 310/4500) can fill via the male Foster fitting on the valve. You'll have to purchase whatever fittings your SCBA company can support.
I called the shop by my house and they can fill through the foster fitting. I ordered the standalone great white. How do you like that saber tactical valve? What hose do you use? I have a few that came with my cheap compressors but should probably upgrade.

The magic # is 15. Just subtract from that for remaining life. These bottles work best filling yourself.

So $283 for a bottle that needs a hydrostatic test as soon as it arrives, and only has 10 years left on it. Not terrible, compared to a bottle that is $600 and can be used right away, with 15 years remaining. It all comes down to what risks one is willing to take.

Here is a bottle i was just looking at. Its also on Ebay. Its a 45 min tank that is dot certified and has the 30 year life. I did the math and comes out to about $20 per year not including the hydro testing if you want to get the testing done.

Here is a bottle i was just looking at. Its also on Ebay. Its a 45 min tank that is dot certified and has the 30 year life. I did the math and comes out to about $20 per year not including the hydro testing if you want to get the testing done.
Impossible to "have the 30 year life" today.

The tank was made in 2016, so it has a 15-year life at present. In 7 more years, it will require MAE testing (and subsequently every 5 years until 25, assuming it passes the 15-year testing). Said testing to the 30-year mark will be over $600, plus the cost of shipping both ways. Add at least $25 in 2 years for the second hydrostatic test, and you're talking over $750 to take it to 30 years, on top of today's price of $450. Call it $1200 total.

I would really check into these before buying. I spoke to digital wave, the co that does the 15 year extension of life. It’s a test that costs I believe a couple hundred dollars itself plus shipping to and from the company. Now they explained to me that once the extension is done they have to be retested every five years like a 15 year tank. Only problem is the test isn’t a 40 dollar hydro test it’s the couple hundred dollar test again every five years. Now I don’t know if those tanks on eBay were built brand new with a 30 year life and all you have to do is hydro them?? Or does the couple hundred dollar test have to be done once the 15 year mark is passed?? I don’t know but I would find out for sure first. I would probably talk it over with my fill source first to see how they would look at it.
Op if you look around you can find deals. I’ve seen recently 2 tanks relatively new go for 400. You can buy a 9L DOT acecare China tank for I think like 550. No way I’d pay a grand for one or even 800.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlie99
So you pay $300 for a tank that is 10 years old. Then what? Just buy another in 5 years?
May not work for you but works for me. One can also get a tank (or 2) AND a compressor for less than $900! If that's not the route YOU would choose I understand. Just stating MY personal preference.

Reactions: elwoodblues