• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air lost from bleeding line?

The Edgun Eazy Fill is what you seek.

It’s not that significant. Think of it in terms of this question in regards to those easy fill valves. How long will it take to save 100 dollars worth of air bleed off ? That is just the break even point. Now the convenience side of things being worth it? That is a question only you can answer. I say a giant hell no. Lol. Bleed off loss isn’t that great and it isn’t hard to take care when filling your gun with a regular tank setup so as to not fill too fast or too much.

I have one of these on my small bottle and am happy with it. I have only used it for the past 2 months but no issues so far. Between fills, I close the bottle valve but leave the whip pressurized. If a foster fitting leaks, you don't lose all the air in the bottle, only the air in the whip.

Reactions: Chris1973
@Elgreco The air that’s lost would be the volume of air in the line between valves. The longer the fill whip, the larger the volume of air lost when bleeding the line. If you have your own compressor the air lost from bleeding a fill whip is pretty negligible (not significant) IMO. If shooting benchrest style, it may be better to tether your guns if losing that little bit of air is a serious concern.

Let’s put this in perspective. Consider the size of one of your regulated air gun’s plenums. Let’s say it’s 40cc. Weigh that against the volume of your fill whip. To calculate a rough estimate of the volume of the fill whip I think the following formula would get you close: find the area A = πr2(square) then multiply that by the length of the hose. I believe that provides the fill whip’s volume. Compare the product to the capacity of your regulator’s plenum. That should provide an idea of how significant the amount of air that is bled off is. I’m no math expert, but I think this is good enough for a general idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: Humdinger
To all that write that only volume of air lost is from the microbore hose, this is not true - there is air space around the shut off valve and in the foster fittings that in many cases add up to more volume than in the hose . . . but that said the argument that there is no "economic reason" to use an Easy fill valve is spot on.

I have one and I do like it, but it does have an operational weakness to be aware of - if you have any gun that does not have a gauge that shows fill pressure (as with many guns in which we install aftermarket regulators) and your fill source is at a higher pressure than the desired fill point of the gun (like with most CF tanks), then you will be unable to know how much air you are putting into your gun. This happens because the gauge on the tank ends up reading tank pressure when the Easy fill valve is closed, and something higher than your gun's reservoir pressure in the brief time it is open and flowing air. So it does not work well in those situations - you probably won't want to use it on those guns.

Where it works best is to fill guns out in the field while hunting or pesting, preferably with a regulated tank output so you don't overfill the gun. It significantly reduces the sound level of venting after filling, and that is the main advantage in the field, as if you have a well moderated gun, venting is way louder than shooting. And it kind of works best with fill probes rather than foster fittings - not that it does not work with the fosters - as it is so nice to slide the probe in, give it a burst of air, let the valve go and hear a small vent sound, and then pull it out and be done . . . no fuss and simple!

But it absolutely is not going to be justified by the air savings . . . most likely by the added "stealth."

I can't help but wonder if there is a significant amount of air thay is lost when I am done filling my pcp from a tank and I bleed the line before disconnecting. I remember someone was selling a fill line with some type of valve towards the end so you could leave the line attached to the tank and lose as little air as possible?
Microbore hoses lose an insignificant amount of air when disconnected. The amount of air is equivalent to the air lost for one shot on a .177 caliber.