FX Air leaks in cold weather?

Is it normal for an airgun to leak if you put it in your car overnight and it's like 40-55 degrees? My M3 goes from 300 bar to 250 if it's inside my car in the cold overnight.

Pressure change due to temperature change can be calculated as...

New PSI=OriginalFillPressureInPSI/( (OriginalTempFahrenheit-32)*5/9+273.15)*((NewTempFahrenheit-32)*5/9+273.15)

So if you were at 80F originally and it drops down to 40F, and your starting pressure was 4350 (300 bar) you would then have roughly 4028 PSI or 277 bar. In other words, its fairly normal.

Sorry I don't want to convert my formula to BAR and/or Celsius :p

-Matt

One thing, though...when you bring it back into a warm room, would the PSI go back to 300? Or does it stay at 250 until you pump it up? Right now, if it goes down to 250 (from 300), it remains that way even in a warm room until I add more air. It seems the 50 bar just completely varnishes.

I'd suspect a (possibly temporary cold induced) leak then as that formula works both ways...provided this only happens in the cold and the pressure doesn't return as the temperature does.

-Matt

I had a rifle that would leak only when it got under 40 degrees or so. It ended up being a metal shaving in the fill ports one way valve.
Yep! I've got 2 PCPs that do that. Did you fill it at 80f then put it in the car? That could account for most of the pressure drop. When you fill it the air heats up even more than the ambient temperature.

Reactions: JCNiest5
It’s probably normal but could be a cold leak. I had a hatsan that actually would leak only when it was cold. The easiest way to tell is leave it in the cold for a longer period of time and see if the pressure continues to drop towards zero.
Mine would happen every single time if it's left in the cold overnight.

Reactions: Trucker3573
How did you manage to fix it? Just clean it up? If so, how to clean it?

Remove metal shaving from the one way / or replace, although...

You need to identify the area at which the leak is occurring. You can remove variables through the process of elimination.

1) Balloon or similar over the barrel
2) Balloon or similar over the foster fitting / fill adapter (this is where @RobR needed attention on his gun)
3) Get crafty and tape a zip-lock bag around the area of the pressure gauge(s)
4) Get crafty and tape a zip-lock bag around the valve adjustment knob up front

Unfortunately the M3 has A LOT of o-rings and locations it could possibly leak from, and you may struggle to ever find it. Best of luck.

-Matt