Air hose explosion

Yeah I decided to keep my compressor in my outdoor garage and always have eye protection on when handling the tanks. I generally set up the fill, start it and then stand a good distance away until the shutoff kicks over and it completes. I use a DIN-300 adapter and fill through that port on the tank valve.

Things under spring tension or pressure in general are no joke. It's easy to become complacent when things work the way they should, one loses the concept of how much potential energy is lurking.

I run Yong Hengs and I watch everything real close while they are running. I am constantly feeling the connections for leaks, either pressure blow-by or that they are cold (from leaking), and I am within arms reach of the off switch listening for changes in pitch or anything else. I have caught problems quite a few times before losing all my air or burning out my pump. I keep tools handy for tightening fittings on the pump too. Most problems that I have had could be seen, heard or felt before they got bad and the surprise pressure disk blowing cost me very little air because I was right there to shut the valve. I am glad that you weren't hurt and sharing these stories are helpful for keeping people aware.

Airong a tank yesterday. I always back charge thru the tank " manifold".
BANG, right beside my fore arm. Luckily the rupture was at the top of hose where steel anti kink spring is installed. Could have been some serious wounds from something like this!
yep thats why hose should be hydro tested / replaced as well - in the Navy we divers learned to tie safety lines to the hose and clip them to a non movable thing.

Glad you weren’t seriously injured.
Having spent a fair amount of time working in and around high pressure hoses and lines in both industrial and scuba industries it’s always good to watch for the outer most portion of hoses and re-enforced lines. By design, the outer most jacket is supposed to start to bubble when the inner portion begins leaking. If you see that occurring stop immediately and depressurize and replace it.
Treat hose very carefully. I keep my tank to gun hose in my rifles case so as to protect it from damage. It doesn’t hurt to do a close inspection of it from time to time. On hoses that might rub against something while running, either prevent that or use some sort of restraint or clamp.
The one hose I don’t know much about as far as construction is microbores. I have heard of those failing occasionally. I would like to cut one of those apart to see how they’re constructed.
Randy

I run Yong Hengs and I watch everything real close while they are running. I am constantly feeling the connections for leaks, either pressure blow-by or that they are cold (from leaking), and I am within arms reach of the off switch listening for changes in pitch or anything else. I have caught problems quite a few times before losing all my air or burning out my pump. I keep tools handy for tightening fittings on the pump too. Most problems that I have had could be seen, heard or felt before they got bad and the surprise pressure disk blowing cost me very little air because I was right there to shut the valve. I am glad that you weren't hurt and sharing these stories are helpful for keeping people aware.

I am the same way, I am thinking about replacing my water separator with an alpha filter from airtanksplus, I check the connections and look over all the hoses constantly. Other thing I did was install Wika gauges on everything, the chinese ones are not accurate at all.

I've blown up a few hoses as well. In my case, it was because I did not realize the fittings had one-way valves installed in them. Put the hose on backwards and bam! Interestingly, one failed around 320 bar, and the other failed at over 400 bar. The 320 bar failure was around where the hose coupled to the adapter. The 400 bar failure was in the middle of the hose.

I've blown up a few hoses as well. In my case, it was because I did not realize the fittings had one-way valves installed in them. Put the hose on backwards and bam! Interestingly, one failed around 320 bar, and the other failed at over 400 bar. The 320 bar failure was around where the hose coupled to the adapter. The 400 bar failure was in the middle of the hose.
Oh Boy...:oops: I guess I may be getting a bit timid after reading this thread. I recently bought a YH and a Tuxing oil/water filter. Haven't used them yet since my tank is still around 3,700 PSI. I'm not sure I want to get into filling tanks after reading this stuff. The hose rupturing at 320 bar is 4,700 PSI and 400 bar is 5,880 psi is a bit alarming. I'm surprised that these hoses don't have more of a safety margin. IIRC CF tanks are hydro tested at 7,500 PSI, I believe that pressure would be applied via the hose? Correct me if I'm wrong.

i had many hydrulic hoses bust they run 15000 psi and yes it can be scary , i try to buy the best quality I can afford no china cheap hoses for me , my worst issue ever was a 500 cc tank and adapter failure for a airforce wer tank and kit . i heard a small leak after filling it , I put the tank and gage near my ear it sounded like a hiss near gage , when my finger touched gage it exploded , the gage went threw celing missing my head and ear nu 1/4 inch the gage waa embedded in a 2x8 , the gage blew apart and was like a rocket it hit my foot and broke 2 toes and a few bones in foot , the concussion was like a blast from 50 bmg and I am thankful I didnt get killed , i remember it had 350 bar in it , i just finished filling it ., 300 bar is no joke
LOU

Oh Boy...:oops: I guess I may be getting a bit timid after reading this thread. I recently bought a YH and a Tuxing oil/water filter. Haven't used them yet since my tank is still around 3,700 PSI. I'm not sure I want to get into filling tanks after reading this stuff. The hose rupturing at 320 bar is 4,700 PSI and 400 bar is 5,880 psi is a bit alarming. I'm surprised that these hoses don't have more of a safety margin. IIRC CF tanks are hydro tested at 7,500 PSI, I believe that pressure would be applied via the hose? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I forget which hose exploded at 320bar, it may very well be one that came with an ebay or amazon discounted item. It was interesting that it happened at the junction of the quick-connect and hose, i.e. it wasn't either the hose or the quick-connect that was responsible, presumably it was a bad mating of the two.

For the 320bar explosion, I was in the garage when it happened. Sounded like someone firing a pistol close to your head. The 400 bar explosion I was thankfully in the house, and the compressor was in the garage.