• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air Handgun Recommendation

This is the only handgun I use to humanely dispatch any four legged pest.

IMG_1545.png

I cannot say I've tried a bunch of air pistols, but the 1701P really is a pretty great target pistol. Handpump friendly. I get 45-50 shots per fill from mine (right about 20-25 strokes on my pump). If I were looking for hunting power in a pistol, I think I'd definitely have a serious eye on that Huben.

Reactions: Bandito
I am looking for help in deciding on an air gun for indoor handgun practice. I am a long time handgun shooter. I take my shooting seriously, having owned numerous fine shooting handguns over the years including a S&W M41. I currently shoot my Freedom Arms Model 97 revolver, which I dearly love. I also shoot my Diana 5G springer, which I find to be a fine pistol with the caveats that it is a PITA to cock and I find the recoil to be a bit annoying. It is, however, accurate enough for my needs and has a decent trigger and sights. I don't find myself shooting more than about 15 rounds before I become annoyed with shooting it due to its cocking effort. Here are some of my requirements and wish list:
* I do not wish to be saddled with a scuba type tank. A hand pump is not an objection if necessary.
* I would like it to be comparable in accuracy to my 5G.
* Good adjustable open sights are required. Being able to add a red dot such as a Fastfire III in the future would be great. My eyes will not last forever.
* I do not shoot in weather extremes.
* I do not compete.
* Maintainability/availability would be great
I really don't have objections to paying decent money for a good pistol if necessary. As I said, I take shooting seriously. Model 41s and 97s do not come cheap, but if there is an outstanding bargain that meets my needs, so much the better. I hope I am being realistic in my wants. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
There is a CO2 pistol made to resemble the S&W M 42, It was marketed by S&W as the M 78, at least in .22 cal. I have two. the earlier model has an adjustable trigger, later does not, both are quite good. Excellent sights, accuracy, not as good as some of the true match pistols, or even my Diana Airbug. What I like about the Airbug is the 9 shot magazine. Magazines are available that hold more shots, but are tall enough as to prevent use of the iron sights. I have not had it very long and not done an actual shot count, but am thinking that I got 40+ shots out of a single CO2 cartridge., I have some magazines on order from CARM in Croatia, which are reported to be better and more reliable than the factory Diana magazines, will have to wait and see, I ordered several of the smaller capacity, and one larger to see if it would work with my iron sights. If you remove the rear sight on the Airbug there is plenty of room for a red dot, and just in front of the loading port about a 1" section of 11mm dovetail, where a micro red dot might go.

Over 40 years ago I would shoot 200 rounds or more indoors per evening with a Webley Tempest and later on a Beeman 800 (FWB 65s wern't in the budget, sure wish I had spent some of my HiFi funds on one back then.) Understand your 5G frustration. My wife won't shoot the Beeman unless I cock it for her. She will shoot about 15 rounds with the Tempest and then requests the IZH 46M which she's happy to shoot until she's out of time. Petite but she's no wimp, I've seen her go through over 500 rounds of 45 auto in a day. I'm in the same boat. The IZH is the most enjoyable pistol to shoot in our collection. Easy to cock and load while you relax and think about your next shot. Suberbely accurate it's ideal for indoor training which obiviously I'm no stranger to. The funny thing is I didn't want to buy it. It was the last one Mac1 had and apparently there was some new ban on imports at the time. The case had a broken latch and the wood on the cocking lever didn't match the grip, just not the way my perfectionist mind rolled. Tim and LD kept telling me I would regret it if I didn't buy it. This was 27 years ago last month, Tim and LD were right. I would highly recommend an IZH for indoor accuracy training.

The Huben's a fantastic pistol. Since the wily coyotes all know us and hide when I'm out and about with the dog it has replaced my favorite Leishy 2 for long walks. As others have pointed out, detuned it would also make a fine choice with the option for semi-auto. I still prefer the IZH for Christ464's application and I believe that there are solutions available for a red dot.

Over 40 years ago I would shoot 200 rounds or more indoors per evening with a Webley Tempest and later on a Beeman 800 (FWB 65s wern't in the budget, sure wish I had spent some of my HiFi funds on one back then.) Understand your 5G frustration. My wife won't shoot the Beeman unless I cock it for her. She will shoot about 15 rounds with the Tempest and then requests the IZH 46M which she's happy to shoot until she's out of time. Petite but she's no wimp, I've seen her go through over 500 rounds of 45 auto in a day. I'm in the same boat. The IZH is the most enjoyable pistol to shoot in our collection. Easy to cock and load while you relax and think about your next shot. Suberbely accurate it's ideal for indoor training which obiviously I'm no stranger to. The funny thing is I didn't want to buy it. It was the last one Mac1 had and apparently there was some new ban on imports at the time. The case had a broken latch and the wood on the cocking lever didn't match the grip, just not the way my perfectionist mind rolled. Tim and LD kept telling me I would regret it if I didn't buy it. This was 27 years ago last month, Tim and LD were right. I would highly recommend an IZH for indoor accuracy training.

The Huben's a fantastic pistol. Since the wily coyotes all know us and hide when I'm out and about with the dog it has replaced my favorite Leishy 2 for long walks. As others have pointed out, detuned it would also make a fine choice with the option for semi-auto. I still prefer the IZH for Christ464's application and I believe that there are solutions available for a red dot.
wow Webley Tempest, that is about the only other air pistol I have kept just because it is one of my first, and I doubt it is worth anything selling it. Thanks to the GK1 I am down to just the GK1 and the Webley.

I am also a long time fire arm pistol shooter mostly 9mm and .357 pistols but now they are rarely shot now having purchased the Huben GK1 in .25. You do not need to purchase those weak CO2 cartridges, the power is just so huge it puts all other pistols to shame. Combine that with semi-auto, 17 rounds in a magazine, accuracy way beyond other air pistols, reliability, no more handgun maintenance with my Barretta or Colt and ammo is just cheap as dirt that I am rarely shooting my 9mm or Colt anymore.

The cost of an carbon fiber fill tank and air compressor is very affordable now so why use a handpump or go many steps down to a CO2 air pistol? Using a handpump or CO2 you will not shoot that much as it takes too long to pump and you need to buy cartridges. I have often shot both indoors and outdoors but now with the GK1 shooting 17 rounds typically between 8 to 17 seconds then refilling the mag under a minute and refilling the air plenum every other mag in seconds, I end up shooting hundreds of rounds with so much more fun. Using my old air pistols you would never be able to shoot that many rounds in that time, the fun factor is way better with the GK1...