Air guns and veterans.

Sure do. Still enjoy shooting firearms to some extent, but mostly do so to stay sharp at usage scenarios for which airguns are not well suited. But other than the occasional outing with a suppressed Tikka in .22LR, airguns are what I choose for shooting fun. Just don't care much for the flash 'n bang any more. 

Within the confines of my 50-ish meter backyard "range", & for pesting/small game, no real disadvantage to air vs powder.

Therapeutic is the right word. I'll give you some info that I have gleaned from some of the vets I have shot with. And I'll try to do this without getting too in-depth and in the weeds.

Some vets really can't handle being around too many people at the same time. They are always in a state of hyper-vigilance and too much movement from people they don't know unnerves them. 

Being able to shoot in their own backyard is a huge plus. It puts them in a state where they can shut out a lot of the things going on around and with them and just focus on pulling the trigger and hitting the target.

One of the biggest benefits is the lack of noise and smell. A lot of vets can't handle to sound of gunfire and/or the smell of gunpowder. It takes them back to places they wish they could forget.

There are a multitude of other reasons, but yes, the word is Therapeutic.

Thanks you for this post. If any of you know any vets who may need this type of therapy, befriend them immediately. You may never know what type of blessing this is to them. I apologize if this went in a direction not meant by the OP, but I feel strongly about this.

And to @Maineiac, I'm so glad I don't have to see those damned stickers anymore. They were at every base I went to! :) :) :)

Therapeutic is the right word. I'll give you some info that I have gleaned from some of the vets I have shot with. And I'll try to do this without getting too in-depth and in the weeds.

Some vets really can't handle being around too many people at the same time. They are always in a state of hyper-vigilance and too much movement from people they don't know unnerves them. 

Being able to shoot in their own backyard is a huge plus. It puts them in a state where they can shut out a lot of the things going on around and with them and just focus on pulling the trigger and hitting the target.

One of the biggest benefits is the lack of noise and smell. A lot of vets can't handle to sound of gunfire and/or the smell of gunpowder. It takes them back to places they wish they could forget.

There are a multitude of other reasons, but yes, the word is Therapeutic.

Thanks you for this post. If any of you know any vets who may need this type of therapy, befriend them immediately. You may never know what type of blessing this is to them. I apologize if this went in a direction not meant by the OP, but I feel strongly about this.

And to @Maineiac, I'm so glad I don't have to see those damned stickers anymore. They were at every base I went to! :) :) :)

You nailed it!! 

It ain't no "Ma Deuce" but it's still fun...:)

Sure, the 50 is fun... But the thing I enjoyed the most was my time with the mortar platoon... Night fire-mission were the best! Disposing the left over incremental charge afterward was also kind of fun...

The .50 was just a warm up

So2Knf01.1649956902.jpg