Air Gunners

Are air gunners more informed on ballistics and scopes?
I've been to out local shooting range many times talking to other shooters about bullet drop and noticed most have no clue what their projectile does after it leaves the barrel.
I'm on the hunt for a small scope to fit on my Dream Tact. I do have a small Discovery scope but the scope rings block the mag.
I thought about buying a cantilever rings but I first thought about looking if our local Sportsman's Warehouse had a magnified short range AR scope. Something with holdover points.
While I was there, a sales-dude asked if I had any questions. I was looking at Vortex's prismatic scope and asked if the 5x scope had parallax error at close range.
The guy looked at me and said, "You only need to adjust your parallax if you don't have perfect eye sight, you have astigmatism, or if you shoot with one eye close."
I tried not to laugh but I asked him where he heard that, and was told the sporting goods manager told him that's what parallax was for.
In a polite way, I told him the reason you adjust parallax is to focus two lens inside the scope to your target you are trying to hit. You can notice parallax error if you move your eye up and down and see if the reticle moves. If you take out the parallax error at a certain distance, the reticle shouldn't move. He looked at me and said I was totally wrong and walked off.

Last edited:
I'd say yes because we have to be if we want to hit anything at a distance. I've got handloads that can hit bulls at 100, then pull up on a coke can at 300 and blow it up just by holding at the top of the can. That ain't happening with an air rifle.

I hunted with firearms for years and didn't have a clue about parallax until I got into airguns.

Last edited:
Seems the knowledge base or learning curve involved with airguns is much more intricate & exacting than with PB's. The "tolerances" we deal with seem to be much more minute, therefore, requiring much more exacting settings & knowledge in how to attain those settings & results. Bottom line, we gotta know more stuff to get what we're looking for! This is NOT a "set it & forget it" activity, for the most part.

Seems the knowledge base or learning curve involved with airguns is much more intricate & exacting than with PB's. The "tolerances" we deal with seem to be much more minute, therefore, requiring much more exacting settings & knowledge in how to attain those settings & results. Bottom line, we gotta know more stuff to get what we're looking for! This is NOT a "set it & forget it" activity, for the most part.
I cannot get that into my lady's head😅🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️ I'm always tinkering around; she can't figure out why I KEEP tinkering. I keep TRYING to explain. Now I have a better explanation 🤪🤙

I wouldn’t bother engaging the person if they showed they didn’t know what they’re talking about. One of the things I’ve come to enjoy about shooting Airguns is the constant need to read the wind. The amazing amounts of drop out to 100 yards, let alone windage hold offs. And making some of those shots.🙀🙀🙀 Never gets old…

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
I wouldn’t bother engaging the person if they showed they didn’t know what they’re talking about. One of the things I’ve come to enjoy about shooting Airguns is the constant need to read the wind. The amazing amounts of drop out to 100 yards, let alone windage hold offs. And making some of those shots.🙀🙀🙀 Never gets old…
I was smacking spinners at 50 yards with 30 grain slugs today and decided to take them out to 100. The first few went in the dirt under the target.

Firearms are much more forgiving and capable.

My .204 ruger for example will fire a 32 grain bullet at 4225 fps and has a maximum point blank range of 277 yards +/- 1.5". 760 bucks and you can outshoot any high dollar airgun.

There is no requirement for sperience or brains to work in a gun dept.
Didn’t use to be that way though. 40 years ago they were generally staffed with competent people and old shooters.
Air gun shops that i have experience with are staffed with generally qualified people. I think we as shooters have a need for more detailed information and new shooters need a source of good info if they want them back in the store.

@wysahdow Sounds about right for big-box sporting goods stores. I have encountered people like that at Academy when asking questions about scopes. It’s like asking for help in Lowe’s or Walmart. It’s really a crap shoot a lot of the time in my experience. As for the bit about PB shooters not knowing much about bullet drop. If you are only typically shoot within your pointblank range, why be concerned with that? Some folks just like to hear the *bang,* see some steel swing, or put holes in human-shaped paper targets. Then there are guys that go just before deer season to sight in their rigs and sharpen up their shooting a little. Many are gonna go sit in a stand somewhere and shoot out to a relatively known distance in proximity to a feeder. At least where I live it’s like that. What I’m saying is also relative to the type of range you’re at too. Different ranges can draw different types of crowds.

Last edited:
I cannot get that into my lady's head😅🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️ I'm always tinkering around; she can't figure out why I KEEP tinkering. I keep TRYING to explain. Now I have a better explanation 🤪🤙
I hear you pal! The 1st couple years into this I think my wife thought I was cooking meth in the garage! 🤪 Now, she mostly sees the smile on me after a day in the field when all equipment is functioning perfectly. She DID want to know WHY I was so preoccupied this past week until my Boss got fixed. How do I explain that relationship between man & airgun? It's way more than a "hobby" to me, more of a PASSION.

• Love
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Are air gunners more informed on ballistics and scopes?
I've been to out local shooting range many times talking to other shooters about bullet drop and noticed most have no clue what their projectile does after it leaves the barrel.
I'm on the hunt for a small scope to fit on my Dream Tact. I do have a small Discovery scope but the scope rings block the mag.
I thought about buying a cantilever rings but I first thought about looking if our local Sportsman's Warehouse had a magnified short range AR scope. Something with holdover points.
While I was there, a sales-dude asked if I had any questions. I was looking at Vortex's prismatic scope and asked if the 5x scope had parallax error at close range.
The guy looked at me and said, "You only need to adjust your parallax if you don't have perfect eye sight, you have astigmatism, or if you shoot with one eye close."
I tried not to laugh but I asked him where he heard that, and was told the sporting goods manager told him that's what parallax was for.
In a polite way, I told him the reason you adjust parallax is to focus two lens inside the scope to your target you are trying to hit. You can notice parallax error if you move your eye up and down and see if the reticle moves. If you take out the parallax error at a certain distance, the reticle shouldn't move. He looked at me and said I was totally wrong and walked off.