Air-gun that shoots salt to discourage woodpeckers destroying my house

Is there an air-powered pistol or rifle that can shoot a load of fine table salt or coarse salt about 25 feet fairly accurately? The Bug-A-Salt doesn't have the range or power needed.

I need to discourage some woodpeckers without damaging my house with a pellet or a paint-ball. The last two summers the house has been attacked by carpenter bees. Twenty years with no carpenter bees and then suddenly they show up. Then woodpeckers arrive looking for the bee larvae inside the wood. These woodpeckers are causing thousands of dollars of damage to the cedar siding and trim. The wood was treated with penetrating oil, so it cannot be painted to prevent the bees from chewing on it, as the paint wouldn't adhere to the surface.

What a great excuse to buy a nice quality air-soft rifle! Good quality ones are capable of pretty impressive accuracy and would be a very good less-than-lethal deterrent for all kinds of pests. 
Another alternative that’s admittedly non airgun related are these motion activated sprinklers. I have two of them and they work fantastically to keep critters from unwanted areas. 
08B55000-BA47-4648-839C-27FA536CA48B.1653672542.jpeg

(About $30 cheaper on amazon)

Penetrating oil stain? If it's cured and sanded first paint will stick. Everything should be caulked .

Don't use oil paints if you can avoid it. They fade and turn chalky. Also peeling and checking is a big issue with .oil paint. Doesn't last. That's 19th and 20th century paint. Use acrylic paint and primer for the best adhesion and color and sheen retention. ALWAYS SAND FIRST! Even if only lightly. Proper power washing can be effective as well. I said proper power washing! Most people do it wrong.

I painted houses for 25years although I don't do exterior work anymore. 

Carpenter bees alone are very destructive.

I think the short answer is no. But, a few pellet holes are a lot easier to repair than the bird damage, I'd just kill'em. But, their buddies will be back. I've watched a neighbor replace the same area of cedar siding three times, but the birds come back. Things like silver ribbon, owl decoys, rubber snakes, all work to various degrees, but they are not consistently effective. Unfortunately, the only thing I know that is, would be different siding. I've gotten away from wood in every place I can, but if it's your primary wall covering, obviously very expensive. If you find the answer, please post it, you're not alone with this problem.

Reactions: Trucker3573
Depending on your area and the species of woodpecker you may or may not be able to kill it.

These birds are creatures of habit and will continue coming back to the same trees unless you can break that cycle. Find all the holes that they are using/making and use some simple tin foil and cover the area.

There are a ton of different ideas that you can use, give them all a try and see what works in your area.

Been there..and feel for you. I too had cedar siding the woodpeckers loved... no carpenter bee problem. Those freaking birds bore holes rip out insulation and build nest. I finally had vinyl siding that looked like cedar installed.. but I cant say it happened but I hear a 177 co2 rifle shooting wadcutters worked out very well for a bird or two that's causing thousands in home damages...

I have Big pilated woodpeckers along with other types around my house and they never mess with anything except for some tree stumps which is fine with me. But if I were to have that problem I would probably take one of my old cheap daisy BB guns and try pouring a small amount of Course salt down the barrel and see how it worked.Maybe shoot a piece of paper at that distance and see what it does.I do have carpenter bees that put holes in my porch only. I’m thinking about just taking some wood putty and filling the holes up.

I had an awful time with carpenter bees and woodpeckers. I would spray brake cleaner in the bees holes to kill the bees and larve, let it dry for a short time, then plug the hole with a 3/8" wood dowel and glue, trim the dowel flush then paint. I was sceptical about carpenter bee traps but they do work very well. I think the existing holes attract woodpeckers, because after patching and painting the holes that basically solved the problem for me. Good luck, I know it can be very frustrating to deal with that.

Depends on your situation I would recommend the simple SSS rule, shoot, shovel and shutup. Great reason to get a 3 FPE 1701P with a small moderator, heck a lot cheaper and more fun too!

Fortunately I haven’t had to do that yet, friend of mine had to borrow my 1701……a hole in stucco 30 feet up in the air won’t be cheap to repair. Neighbor of mine had one of the exposed wood beams covered with 50+ acorns stuffed into holes the damn bird drilled. 

Reactions: Vana2