• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air gun silencer

Someone has ever tried a firearm silencer in an airgun I wonder if it will work.

image gusamerica.com
1567618775_14097851295d6ff6d75ddb76.96629411_How-Silencers-Work-2-1024x683.jpg

So I have designed and built, legally, both airgun and firearm moderators and suppressors. The firearm designs technically can function on an airgun with the correct adapters, however they don't generally work terribly well compared to their airgun counterparts. Why? 

Well a couple reasons. The most obvious is that expectations are radically different for the firearms industry than the airgun industry, so airgun moderators are comparatively larger relative to caliber/power and are intended to make the airgun much quieter. A rimfire suppressor is typically a pretty small device, and meant simply to make your rimfire no longer painful to shoot without earpro, not so quiet nobody would ever figure out what you're doing, as the action of the rimfire itself is typically fairly loud. (even the firing pin strike is hardly quiet) Then there are elements of materials and design. Bullets are relatively resistant to cross-flow in a suppressor, and expectations for accuracy are typically lower than with airguns. As a result they use architectures which will cause POI shift and pellet destabilization in some cases. Airgun moderators, using just cold air rather than burning powder, can use materials such as felt and foam which wouldn't stand up to use on a firearm. This allows further sound damping than you'll find in firearms suppressors. 

So, in short, you could do it hypothetically but you'd probably not like the results. I hope that helps. :)

So I have designed and built, legally, both airgun and firearm moderators and suppressors. The firearm designs technically can function on an airgun with the correct adapters, however they don't generally work terribly well compared to their airgun counterparts. Why? 

Well a couple reasons. The most obvious is that expectations are radically different for the firearms industry than the airgun industry, so airgun moderators are comparatively larger relative to caliber/power and are intended to make the airgun much quieter. A rimfire suppressor is typically a pretty small device, and meant simply to make your rimfire no longer painful to shoot without earpro, not so quiet nobody would ever figure out what you're doing, as the action of the rimfire itself is typically fairly loud. (even the firing pin strike is hardly quiet) Then there are elements of materials and design. Bullets are relatively resistant to cross-flow in a suppressor, and expectations for accuracy are typically lower than with airguns. As a result they use architectures which will cause POI shift and pellet destabilization in some cases. Airgun moderators, using just cold air rather than burning powder, can use materials such as felt and foam which wouldn't stand up to use on a firearm. This allows further sound damping than you'll find in firearms suppressors. 

So, in short, you could do it hypothetically but you'd probably not like the results. I hope that helps. :)

Thanks, saved me typing something very similar 👍 

Good info, and one other reason to buy a real "Airgun" device instead of adapting a firearm "silencer". Good airgun suppressors are $150 to maybe $200. Because firearm suppressors must stand up to much more abuse, the standards are much higher, and so is the price. While the firearm suppressor may not be regulated in Mexico, the price of the firearm suppressor is probably 2 or 3 times higher than an airgun suppressor.

Just a thought!

As STO (who is somewhat of a modest moderator expert) mentioned, 'crossflow' is important in Airgun moderators but much less critical in firearms moderators.

This is when gas bounces and swirls off the baffles and inside of the moderators and hits the side of the pellet, pushing it off course. In a firearm, the bullet is generally so much faster it's moved past before the gas hits and deflects it.

He mentioned hot gas vs cold gas and there is a lot of pressure difference too. The cold low pressure gas from an airgun takes somewhat different methods to control the sound and firearms 'silencers' just perform poorly because they were not engineered for it. Seen it tried and heard it for myself too.

Good info, and one other reason to buy a real "Airgun" device instead of adapting a firearm "silencer". Good airgun suppressors are $150 to maybe $200. Because firearm suppressors must stand up to much more abuse, the standards are much higher, and so is the price. While the firearm suppressor may not be regulated in Mexico, the price of the firearm suppressor is probably 2 or 3 times higher than an airgun suppressor.

Just a thought!

Firearm suppressors can actually be made incredibly cheaply. If they could be made in China and imported like everything else they'd probably cost on average 20-100$ on Amazon depending on how big of one you wanted. Some designs could be less than 5$ each and be simply "disposable" and come in packs; why bother cleaning them when you could just chuck them when they'd filled with carbon and lead? The reason they're so expensive in the United States is regulation. I don't mean to go on some libertarian tirade here, but the wait time and 200$ tax stamp means everyone wants to buy a suppressor with the expectation it'll last "forever" and are feature rich. People also become very suspicious of designs which aren't super expensive, fearing there is something wrong with it. It is the Martha Stewart pie phenomenon. (where she sold more pies because she priced them higher but otherwise changed nothing) And, finally, suppressors in the United States are actually an incredibly small market. With real economies of scale, prices could plummet, but if you look at the total number of Alphabet org Form4s processed in a year you realize that, at least in the US, there really aren't very many of these being made, your market cap as a company is quite small. And that results in inefficiency both in terms of manufacturing/tooling, and in terms of personnel/dev. costs being spread on each individual suppressor. 

So yes, in short, firearm suppressors don't need to be expensive at all, they are in the United States because it is a highly regulated market. I believe if you poke your head over to New Zealand, where they at least used to be pretty unregulated, designs were more interesting/innovative and prices were much lower. And NZ is a TINY place, imagine how small your market cap would be were you to make and sell suppressors there? ;) 

A bit of a digression, but I hope an interesting one at least. 

I thought it was illegal for a civilian (non-cartel member) to own a firearm in Mexico? Can they get a special license?

Hoot

Article 10. The inhabitants of the United Mexican States have the right to possess weapons at home, for their security and legitimate defense, with the exception of those prohibited by Federal Law and those reserved for the exclusive use of the permanent Armed Forces and Reserve bodies

Of course you can have weapons only that certain calibers are illegal if you can have weapons in your home and also weapons to practice some sport such as hunting or target shooting you just have to do the corresponding paperwork

IVe got a Form 1 can in .22 LR and an adapter

with my less than accurate/scientific measuring apps, it measures 1 - 3 db louder than a custom can and a TKO 6.5 inch unit

However, my ear hears it as "quieter", which im attributing to changes in tonal characteristics, not a true reduction. it makes more of a sneezing sound than a muzzle pop.like the two AG units produce

My testing site is close to two long narrow buildings and the refleted sound is greatly differnt too, from the other two AG specific units. 

never tested for accuracy......

FWIW, the Form 1 can on my 10/22 is dead quiet except for bolt slap (with subs). YMMV