Air Gun Regulations

Just have this gut feeling regulation of air guns is going to become an agenda at some point - accually there no doubt in my mind at all.

Just as an example of where my thoughts are

Texas has opened up SOME the regulations that I completely agree with - hunting game with suppressors, allowing Air Gun enthusiasts to work with the game department to allow Air Gun Hunting, Etc.

But on the backside of this there is a big push inside and outside the state to "make it a different color" using such deregulation to gain support from people that are ignorant of the facts. And yes many other factors.

I'm not trying to get into any political agenda here......I'm just wondering if anyone else has the feeling the Air Gun world in for a legal battle or am I just paranoid for no reason.

Several states have already included air rifles in their firearm regulations. Remember, states and local governments can define firearms as they want, they aren't limited to the Alphabet org definitions and exemptions. They can call a slingshot a firearm if they wish. Yes, the emphasis on HP air rifles will totally change the landscape.

Probably wise to stay informed, and if the opportunity presents itself, work with those proposing rules to understand the nature of airguns. Yes, they aren't toys, but are in my mind no worse than sling shots.

Where I live, the ordinances dance a bit around the issue. I can launch a projectile on my property. It cannot cross any public space or leave my property. In other words, as long as it doesn't cross a sidewalk, cross a property line, or present a danger to someone, I can use a sling shot, throw rocks or shoot an air rifle. I'd like to keep it that way, so should (but don't always) keep up on proposed changes to local rules.

Ring doorbells have a feature where people report things in their neighborhood. I'm on one list where a mouse farts and someone thinks it's gun shots. These people are probably beyond hope, but others might be more sensible. Work with the sensible people and maybe we can keep the privileges we currently have for a very long time. Just be civil and understand that some people just aren't worth wasting time on. Others will see both sides.

Ive suspected a state level caliber restriction for a long while. Lead ammo ban is different topic but keep an eye on the EU. Classification as a dangerous or lethal weapon is a state to state determination for now, but even they change their minds. My thought is they are attempting legitimization and public acclimatization through hunting laws and increasing exposure, leading to state level caliber regulation or bright orange donnyfl’s. Easy to confuse the masses and legislators about energy levels, look at the crazy .177 1000fps proposal recently in MN (? maybe a diff state but recent topic here) But also easily fought if we stay on top of it when communicating with our representatives. Get involved and stay involved. 

a quick news search and two links is telling. But again, state to state. With all they have to worry about with the plummeting support for gun control, fixing nics, 80% definition debacle, serialized parts, etc it will be a long while before the national definition would be rewritten, if at all. Just my opinion.

F3924482-C069-43AF-9C17-0A90EB853569.1643136089.jpeg

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/ct-supreme-court-says-a-pellet-gun-is-not-a-lethal-weapon-reversing-prison-sentence-for-man-police-say-owned-it/ar-AASO5YL

https://www.courthousenews.com/n-y-may-allow-air-rifles-for-big-game-hunting/

Edit: montana was the state. 

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/might-be-good-news-for-montana/#post-1157382

So much for not getting political. Best intentions, but it opened the door and the first reply jumped right in etc.:)

My apologies for adding to it. I'll try to keep it apolitical.

I agree with you though. I think the tech is evolving so fast that the law makers that like to focus on this sort of thing are just woefully far behind. If they understood about Blitzs, Hubens and LCS, if they understood about 72 cal big bores, if they understood that these not being forearms creates a loophole for the use "lead dust collectors" etc. it would already be happening. It's just a matter of time.

In this case, the NRA will not be our friend either. US lawmakers know they have a huge uphill battle passing real legislation that affects their real intended target, so they always target the low hanging fruit, the things that won't = a years long battle with the NRA. That = airguns as easy target. When they realize what the tech has offered us, there really won't be anything to stop them. Our minority is such that we'll just get rolled over. All it will take is ONE journalist with a buzzword like "ghost gun" to start the ball rolling.

I can see it now;

"these "A.A.R.'s (air powered assault rifles) are in your neighborhood, in the hands of children! "

There will be regulations and politics will be involved. All you you have to do is look back on any type of regulation involving things that expel projectiles to see who was behind the regulatory efforts.

I simply don’t understand why airgun forums stay away from politics as we should always be kept abreast of what is going on and who to contact in the event that these issues come up.

I remember a time where I made a plea on the old yellow forum for people to contact their representatives because of some silly law being considered in California. Imagine my shock when I found that the post had been deleted. Anyone involved in the shooting sports who chooses to be apolitical does so at their own peril.

At the very least, any person who does any kind of shooting should belong to the NRA or any other of the many organizations promoting marksmanship, safety, etc.

Not….ever….gonna….happen.

Man I wish I had that confidence.

The thing is there are less and less of the younger generation that have the same beliefs and views we have, so as we get older and out numbers we have less of a voice.

One thing that is so dear to my heart it to introduce the younger generation to the outdoors - shooting, hunting, fishing, archery.

I recently turned down a great hunting lease ,that had a very reasonable price, in Central Texas full of exotics (axis, fallow, blackbucks) because the guy told me - no kids allowed on the property - at all, not a camp or anywhere.

I just had to explain to the guy if he wasn't supportive of our younger generation why was he even hunting or owning a firearm - needless to say that ended the conversation.

There will be regulations and politics will be involved. All you you have to do is look back on any type of regulation involving things that expel projectiles to see who was behind the regulatory efforts.

I simply don’t understand why airgun forums stay away from politics as we should always be kept abreast of what is going on and who to contact in the event that these issues come up.

I remember a time where I made a plea on the old yellow forum for people to contact their representatives because of some silly law being considered in California. Imagine my shock when I found that the post had been deleted. Anyone involved in the shooting sports who chooses to be apolitical does so at their own peril.

At the very least, any person who does any kind of shooting should belong to the NRA or any other of the many organizations promoting marksmanship, safety, etc.

Don't you know you can't use this site to spread common sense and reason? It's much easier to bury your head in the sand and wait for the danger to pass.

Bang!

FYI, on certain Canadian airgun forums there are members who are in the room when regulators are crafting laws. That's how you do it.

It's important to have open, public discussion about policies. Especially by the members who will be affected by the legislation. 

Be a part of civic society, or you get run over by it. Democracy isn't free.

Dealers won't ship air guns to certain states due to state laws and regulation.

Was it Illinois you can't even own an air gun bigger than 177 caliber?

Is it true it is illegal to shoot an air gun with in your own yard in California?

Is there a state that has a law where the BB or pellet can not exceed a certain feet per second? Must be shooting less than 700 fps?

I think slugs may one day unfortunately add on to the regulations.

I watched crazy irresponsible YouTube videos air gun folks shooting slugs in neighborhoods with houses in close proximity and with in the city no safe back drop.

One day a far away by stander could get badly hurt hit by slug then see what happens.

Do they ban slugs or air guns then?

New regulations and laws happen when there are incidents quickly spread over the news media.

Are UPS and home land security still confiscating air gun silencers during shipment?

I simply don’t understand why airgun forums stay away from politics

Because people are involved, and people tend to get excited when their beliefs and opinions are challenged.... and things get very ugly very quickly. Human nature...

we should always be kept abreast of what is going on and who to contact 

Agreed, but see above^^^^ IMO the ONLY way to make those announcements is one-way posting. Messages are put up by admins of the forum(s), and no replies allowed (see above^^^)

Hummmmmm seems I ruffled some feathers - I'm loving it.

If thoughts, concerns and ideas are not regularly discussed then might as well flush the whole thing down the toilet.

I really wasn't sure where this post would go but I hope everyone is reading it.

As I have mentioned in some other posts I have spent most of my career overseas from Norway, Finland to S. Africa and more than half of it in Asia.

There are rights and knowledge we have in North American we just take for granted and I'm not talking about the big ones...little things you would never even think of that turn out to be a big deal.

I am amazed at all the changes that have taken place when I retuned back home - I feel somewhat guilty about not trying to stay abreast and informed.