• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AIR GUN QUALITY. FX. DAYSTATE OR AIR ARMS

HEY GUYS IF YOU COUPLE PIC A GUN THAT YOU WOULD THINK YOU WOULD HAVE THE LEAST AMOUNT OF TROUBLE WITH IE. THE GUN BREAKING.
WHAT GUN WOULD YOU THINK WOULD GIVE YOU 5 TO 10 YEARS OF TROUBLE SERVICE.
AIRARMS S510. THE FX ROYAL 400/500 OR THE DAYSATE WOLVERIENE.
​the gun with the best build quality.

​WHAT GUN DO YOU FEEL WOULD BE BE ABSOLUTLY TROUBLE FREE AND HAS THE BEST REPUTATION FOR QUALITY. IE: NOT BREAKING.

​SAY IF YOU WERE STUCK IN THE WOODS FOR 5 TO THEN YEARS AND COULD NOT GET ANY HELP TO FIX IT.

I would say Daystate if you want long lasting trouble free reliability. I have an FX Wildcat and I've had enough little things on the gun to bother me. Some of the problems were my fault, but the inaccurate pressure gauges as well as the magazine indexer scouring the magazines is enough to frustrate me. I also have read on the forum a lot of people seem to experience little leaks and small stuff with their FX rifles. Daystate's never seem to have manufacturer issues. They work great, shoot accurately, and have a fair bit of technology in them. When I went to AOA they let me shoot the FX and Daystate guns. I had my eyes on the Wildcat already, but I would have converted to Daystate if the prices were a little bit lower. Sometimes though you might have to pay extra for not dealing with problems. British engineering cannot be beat.

A springer. Even if its broken, it wil still work. I have a Diana 50 from 1978 that still works fine, and i only exchanged spring and leather myself. I would choose a Diane 52 in your case. Good gun, good power.
But if you are handy with pcp, and you get some supplies, that may work too provided the orings remain of quality during storage (i would advise to ask Ernest). If you insist on pcp, than I would advise a raw or theoben without regulator ( one less thing to go wrong): they are build like a tank ! And if you get a theoben mk2 in .22 with carbon botlle, they are not very heavy.

Hi Aa
I would say fx bobcat,or an older daystate,i worked my bobcat very hard for ab 2 years ,no probs at all.
I now own an fx impact which is a great shooting gun, but as you say you may have a problem.more often with an occasional seal ,im resealing mine throughout with some high quality seals and we shall see how it goes,its my first venture into 30 cal airgun territory,if the impact doesnt work out for me i would have no hesitation in ordering a fx bobcat in 30 cal...mine was an absolutely fantastic gun in 22 cal,loves h+n barracuda match (my favouritw hunting pellet) and the gun is still working hard now as i gave it to my son a year ago,some of these fancy menelli stocks on the daystates (i had an air wolf) are designed to look nice but they're way to low for scope use
Rgds steve
MY EDIT..PATHETIC

I've owned an AA 510 and a Daystate Regal XL. Both were trouble free. I sold my AA to a friend and he's shot the bejeebers out of it with no trouble except he had to replace the index part which cost $10. I don't think you will find any rifle that will last 15 years with zero problems unless it sits in the closet the whole time. You cannot go wrong with either product.

Have had an FX Boss, Royale 200 and Royale 500. No problems with any of them. Excellent accuracy and insane shot count. Much is going to depend on who answers this questions though. We all have our opinions based on a single rifle, which does not represent all rifles in that brand. All three are excellent brands though. Enjoy whatever you end up getting! 

I've actually owned all three of those specific models that you are talking about. And actually I've had two of each, two s-510's, two Royale's and two Wolverines. Of those three specific models, I would choose the Royale line for reliability. FX seems to have set out to make a very simple, solid, reliable build with the Royale line and by all accounts they seem to have succeeded nicely. After thousands of rounds through mine I haven't had any troubles with them that I didn't cause myself by tinkering with them unnecessarily. 

One of my AA s-510's had an issue with the barrel band messing up the accuracy.

Both of my Wolverines had pretty bad issues. One wouldn't fire at all right out of the box and while they were both very difficult to cock, the second one was leaving pellet shavings all over the breech block and had horrible accuracy issues. Having been turned off by the brand, I sent them both back to the distributor and after doing some research online I discovered that Daystate had been sold a few years back to another company and some, myself included, believe the quality control mave have suffered some.

If you are talking about other guns from those same manufacturers that is a different conversation since more complicated guns like the impact, etc. seem to suffer from more problems. They are all good companies but they all make certain models that are going to be more prone to problems because of the heightened intricacies that are involved with the more complex models. Hence my choice for the Royale out of the three you specified. It is a very solid time tested gun and while the AA S-510 is also very time tested, the Royale in my opinion will out perform it. Especially in regards to longer range accuracy since the Royale is regulated and has much better shot to shot consistency. Matt Dubber talks about this extensively in a couple of his videos and explains it is the reason he doesn't shoot Air Arms any more.

"Scirroco"Might have something to do with money?????
Rgds steve

That answer doesn't explain why over the last year of videos he's featured several models by various manufacturers, including other models from Air Arms. I checked through his video playlist of the last 12 months. He highlights three models from FX, a Daystate Wolverine, an Air Arms tx200, an Air Arms TDR, a Colibri, and a Cricket. The only recent video he has of the Air Arms S-510 is pieced together with footage that he shot a long time ago. He just doesn't seem to shoot the S-510 anymore, or at least if he is, he isn't filming it. I think this says a lot since his Channel is named "AirArmshuntingSA" Don't take my word for it. The following is a direct copy and past of his post on the subject in a thread from right here on AGN.

Matt's post on the subject...............

Ok, let’s hear it from the source :) I thought I didn’t need a regulated rifle… Until I shot with one and saw the difference. When I filmed the review of the .177 S510 a few years back I had just switched from springers, so naturally I was happy just to get 30-40 usable shots from the gun.Then as things progressed, I had opportunities to shoot (and own) Daystates, Kalibrguns, FXs, Weihrauchs, Steyrs, etc and my eyes were opened to the “way things could be”.When I bought my Wolverine B, I realised the value of having a higher shot count. But of course, this was due to the larger cylinder and not a regulator.The Wildcat changed everything. Tiny gun with a small, light cylinder… But an impressive shot count due to efficient valve and reg. So I regulated my S510 to try get the best out of it (with good results). However I hate the idea of installing aftermarket regs that void your warranty and can give issues. Just get a rifle that has a factory installed regulator!I sat with Air Arms in a meeting and told them that a regulator was pretty much non-negotiable. I think they listened to an extent, because the Galahad is supposed to be regulated, but with only 40 shots per fill from the Galahad, it’s clear that the gun is still nowhere near as efficient as the Wildcat.What if there could be a larger cylinder AND a regulator? Enter the Impact – An absolute beast of a rifle. If you turn the reg down to 110 bar you can get 170 shots per fill at 33 foot pounds! Needless to say, it’s my new favourite.I still love the S510, but its difficult to reccommend a gun that is long and heavy but, although very accurate, doesn’t have the technology that Daystates and FXs have. Wait for the Streamline. I saw the first model at IWA, and I can promise you that it is going to make the S510, Huntsman, Marauder etc look like antiques (in terms of performance, not looks)

Matt