• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air gun hunting in Massachusetts

And here are the regulations for hunting coyotes in MA from the Mass.gov website.

NEW – The use of air/pellet guns are prohibited for the purposes of taking/ harvesting deer, bear, turkey, crow, and migratory game birds. Air/pellet guns are also prohibited for the purposes of taking/harvesting ANY species on WMAs stocked with pheasant or quail DURING the pheasant/quail season. (For a list of pheasant and quail stocked WMAs, please see 321 CMR 3.01(1)(n)). Air/pellet guns may be used for all other species during their respective legal open seasons.

Page 22 third bullet down on the left.

Last edited:
Reactions: N2 Shooter
Sorry but that is not correct information. I have a hunting license in MA without a FFL. There are guidelines on what can be taken with an air rifle but you do not need an FFL for a hunting license.

Huh, I just looked it up again. I thought the "Field Day" (which is hands on instruction at certain ranges/clubs) requirement would mean you need an FFL to complete it. I suppose not, as I just checked the registration requirements at one of these clubs.

Important distinction, you will not need an FFL to complete the field day, *however*, if you are for some reason prohibited from handling firearms, it would technically be illegal to complete the hunter course even if you only intended to hunt with airguns, bows, etc. Unless I'm wrong and the Field Day doesn't require actually handling firearms.

So it may be that you have to be *eligible* for an FFL in Mass, which sadly can result in shutting people out of alternative types of hunting.

You are incorrect as I have a friend which did complete the hunter safety course without the need of an FFL or being eligible as he is only a bow hunter. If there is doubt the OP can contact his local office and find out for sure.
MA is just a tough state to hunt in and as you can see they just included air rifles, this year, as not being able to hunt deer, bear and of the sorts…

Does anyone hunt in Mass? I’m trying to start going out for coyote it’s the biggest thing we can hunt here. Would love to know if anyone knows where I can go or how the laws work. It’s hard to find anything about it.
I am looking to hunt rats pigeons if I can find someone who will allow me too shoot on there land.