Air Gun Accuracy

Thank you for the kind words Bltefft!

I don't deserve the praise as I did completely mis three targets, and it was only at 25.5 meters.

I have 52 meters up my driveway, but it's always windy and my neighbor is super sensitive to noise, so when he is away and it's not gusting I will see what this combination of shotist and gun can do, I am confident that the gun is capable of 87 shots in the 22mm ring.

Everyone's expectations of accuracy is different. I want my rifle to shoot 1/2 inch groups no matter the distance because I hunt most of the time. That to me is more than acceptable. Most kill zones on small game are about an inch. With that said I only hunt at a distance of no more than 50 yards. I think the gun can go out farther but I can't hold it steady enough to go much past that. If I were into competitions I would demand better than that. 

dleadslinger
"Willie14228"

Easy on the feet neighbor!!
I drive through Houston and would have done better, than them, with a blindfold and my feet!!!
I have had the same question many times. Are my goals unrealistic? In another forum I follow, some guys and gals are showing great groups at 100 yrds. Granted they have alot of practice and kits that cost way more than mine. 
I started this hobby adventure because of videos on youtube showing spectacular shooting at long range. I just didn't realize how much effort goes into shooting like that.
I have since lowered my standard to something more realistic, and will continue to strive to achieve them. When and if I do, my standard will change and I will strive for better, whatever that group size is!

LOL Houston drivers I agree 100%

I am actually going to a lower caliber so I can start competing for fun.
Let me put it this way, when I started archery I didn't shoot 3d with other beginner class shooters I did so with some very understanding and extremely helpful pro-shooters that was willing to let me TAG along and laugh with me as I learned the do and don'ts of consistency =accuracy =precision
I am speaking a little out of my range here and I don't want anyone to think I am holding my banner high because I'm Not!
Consistency is the first step of accuracy even changing your hold or cheek weld can change your POI so learning to be consistent has to be a primary factor in accuracy. Consistency has more to do with the shooter than the gun
It is only after you have become consistent that you can work on accuracy it is at THIS point that shooter and equipment can be melded into one through fine tuning of both the equipment and shooter
Once this is achieved then precision through repetition and training can be achieved.
Okay my brain has blown all major fuses and is shutting back down to hibernation mode now.
Me shooting beside pro shooters kept pushing me to achieve higher precision, while my wife simply injoyed learning to shoot and being with the group as a whole. I believe that much of this is a matter of self challenge. Equipment of course is going to play a fairly large role
(Mustang vs Pinto) but it all has to start with the person behind the gun willing to put the time and effort in... And this needs to be said even if that time is spent behind the "Pinto" because it will carry over to the mustang when they become ready to achieve more precision.

Thank everyone so far with there thoughts, as expected some of you have exaggerated expectation on the minimum STANDARD a quality airgun should shoot out the box. Not everyone here are expert shooters whom dedicate hours of practice to there hobby daily. Oh and just because your gun can shoot less than an MOA at a certain distance doesn't mean that is what the vast majority should expect when picking up an airgun for the first time. So when one says that there gun is experiencing Accuracy issues because they can't group better than 1 inch at 75 yards so it is faulty is unrealistic because it COULD just be the shooter. Now if your gun is grouping at 4 inches at 75 yards then it is more probable that it is the gun. At 25 yards: 22 mm equals 3MOA, 12mm equals 2 MOA, 6.3mm equal 1MOA, it would be pretty hard to shoot LESS than an MOA with a 25 Cal gun at 25 yards. So when I was thinking about expectations i wasn't thinking of olympic shooters here, i was just thinking of the average Joe blow whom is doing this for fun, some pesting, and some hunting. It was also on the average, if i shoot a group of ten shots at 1 MOA, then 6 more group at 3 MOA then with that gun i'm a 3 MOA shooter.

As stated a lot of things go into accuracy, and on any given day we may be better or worse than our best. So expectation of new guns or guns in general should be made with by taking the shooter out of the equation as much as possible, bi pods, bench, pillow whatever, environment will alway play a part some, pellet imperfections, weight differences, barrel leading, air pressure fluctuations, etc all play a part. But we should have a minimum base line for the products that we buy, So i say again, my personal belief is that some of us expect too much as a base line. Most people here whom have been doing this for a while will obviously shoot better than the minimum with most guns at certain distances to be expected, but getting to know a new gun maybe adjust your expectations a little.

TANK congrats on getting things worked out I look forward to that day as well brother. i will be in touch later to see if you got any insight to the witch craft they performed or maybe get the name of the person you where dealing with at AOA. Thanks.

S510 75 yards: bull eye is .5 inches, inner ring is 1 inch and outer ring is 2 inches (if it was an MOA target the second ring WOULD of been 1.5 inches not 2). At 75 yards 1 MOA is .75 inches and 2 MOA is 1.5 inches. So for me all 10 shots touched the inner ring so it is a 2 MOA group even thought the group measures .8 inches from center to center of furthest pellets

Cricket @ 75 yards: bull .5, inner ring 1, outer ring 2 inches. At 75 yards 1 MOA .75, 2 MOA 1.5, 3 MOA 2.25 inches. So my group is 3 MOA, even though my group measures 1.16 inches center to center without the pulled shot, the whole group is shifted to the right and falls within in the 2 inch circle so for me its a 3 MOA group for accuracy. Just wanted to share some examples.

Enjoyed your post Ginuwine.
I'm just happy if I can cover 5 or 10 shot groups with a dime at 50 yds.
Here's 5 ten shot groups at 50yds with .177 JSB 13.4 Monsters at roughly 818 FPS with my Thomas FT
I don't worry about CTC, or MOA..... figure it's less than .5" CTC when I can cover the group with a dime.
I'll settle for 10 shots under a quarter, but strive for 10 under the dime.
It's those two crazy ass flyers.......... 2 crazy shots out of 50 that drive me bonkers!
Peace and Pellet grease
Fuss

"Ginuwine1969"Thank everyone so far with there thoughts, as expected some of you have exaggerated expectation on the minimum STANDARD a quality airgun should shoot out the box. Not everyone here are expert shooters whom dedicate hours of practice to there hobby daily. Oh and just because your gun can shoot less than an MOA at a certain distance doesn't mean that is what the vast majority should expect when picking up an airgun for the first time. So when one says that there gun is experiencing Accuracy issues because they can't group better than 1 inch at 75 yards so it is faulty is unrealistic because it COULD just be the shooter. Now if your gun is grouping at 4 inches at 75 yards then it is more probable that it is the gun. At 25 yards: 22 mm equals 3MOA, 12mm equals 2 MOA, 6.3mm equal 1MOA, it would be pretty hard to shoot LESS than an MOA with a 25 Cal gun at 25 yards. So when I was thinking about expectations i wasn't thinking of olympic shooters here, i was just thinking of the average Joe blow whom is doing this for fun, some pesting, and some hunting. It was also on the average, if i shoot a group of ten shots at 1 MOA, then 6 more group at 3 MOA then with that gun i'm a 3 MOA shooter.

As stated a lot of things go into accuracy, and on any given day we may be better or worse than our best. So expectation of new guns or guns in general should be made with by taking the shooter out of the equation as much as possible, bi pods, bench, pillow whatever, environment will alway play a part some, pellet imperfections, weight differences, barrel leading, air pressure fluctuations, etc all play a part. But we should have a minimum base line for the products that we buy, So i say again, my personal belief is that some of us expect too much as a base line. Most people here whom have been doing this for a while will obviously shoot better than the minimum with most guns at certain distances to be expected, but getting to know a new gun maybe adjust your expectations a little.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ME..

I can see where your coming from on the expect less and not be disappointed but I believe this is not the awnser. 1 moa or less out to 50 in good conditions should be what a quality gun will shoot. If it doesn't it may have issues, not tuned right, wrong pellet etc etc. Most guns can shoot out of the box. The shooter can't though.

3moa is just obsene. I can do better than that with a Crosman 2240 and shoulder stock. That's like saying I can't find any 100lb girls so lets open that up to 300 lbs. Yeah, you will find some but are you happy?

Most problems are the shooter. It does not take long to learn a gun. You do not need to be Olympic quality to shoot well. Watch some videos and learn proper technique. There are mainly 3 reasons to buy a pellet gun. Target, hunting, plinking. If target shooting you need to practice to get good. No other way around it. If hunting you should be even better as you cant pick your conditions. If you bought a $2000 gun for plinking then accuracy doesn't matter.

It seems like your trying to get justification for a poor shooting gun. Do not settle. Figure out if its the gun or the shooter. I always see people bitching that fx says 1/2 inch...They have the action bolted in a test fixture and test the barrel. I am tempted to bolt my gun down somehow to see how much better it gets.

My gun is shooting really well but I still have not stopped trying to better what it does. There is almost always more accuracy somewhere to find.

Now some people do get lemons and it happens in any industry. If so have someone else try the gun, bolt it down, etc etc. If the majority of guns are shooting at a certain level of accuracy people need to practice to get to that level. There is no point lowering your expectations. Precision shooting is about always learning. You never stop or settle.

I think we have to set some basic things straight. Group size is measured in CTC indeed (like Erik said), therefore 6.35mm pellets can make a group size of 6mm (because it's caliber independent). The easiest way to measure this is by measuring the outside edges of your group and subtracting the caliber.
Also the size of the groups is independent of the placement on the paper, you can shoot a 1 inch group at a 100 yards which is placed 4 inches below the target but that doesn't make you a 4MOA shooter, it's just a matter of matching POI with POA.

The reason i'm saying that sub MOA should be a standard at 50 meters (or yards) is because the start of the topic is about the accuracy of the air gun (like the title says). Shooter accuracy is something different, if your gun can shoot sub-MOA it doesn't mean the shooter is also capable of doing the same.

I think Shelby covers almost all with his story. Most problems come from the shooter, mainly inconsistent/improper hold. I think that in most modern day airguns pellets are a also a huge limiting factor in the accuracy, they have too much imperfections which add up to inaccuracy. Therefore lots of shooters select head sizes/weight/lubing etc

"Goodtogo"So if your rifle is 1 moa that would give every shot in 1/4 inch at 25 yards? Wow that means you will score 250 on your targets each time? Sounds like a Thomas or a Raw?

http://www.airgunnation.com/topic/wrabf-erabsf-usarb-25-metertarget-post/
Goodtogo
I love the way you are looking at this!
Right on, and it's taken me over a year to shoot a 250 with my Thomas and only done it once! LOL
I say be very happy with a 2 MOA airgun and leave the 1 MOA to the pros!!!!!

Peace and scoring plug grease
Fuss

Broekzwans: Think you are a little confused my airgun brother, it's all subjective how you have to hold your gun, how you have to measure, what accuracy really means, what is a good or unacceptable group. Nothing is black or white, if you are shooting and it is working for you then no one can tell you, you are doing it wrong. If i want to measure edge to edge then guess what, that's how i do it. If i believe accuracy is hitting what you aim at (bull eyes) and my group is centered on that, then again it's perfectly acceptable. If someone choices to aim at a bull eye and consistently hits 1 inch to the right and half inch low and forms a half inch group and is happy, then who am i to tell him that his group is great but his accuracy sucks. I do know how to measure CTC and i used to do it in the past. The titled does say Air Gun Accuracy, but the point of the discussion, and its just that, was expectation of accuracy from our guns, in reference to them being defective. What is a reasonable MOA for an average shooter to expect after purchasing an new gun. It came from a lot of us turning our guns back in to AOA for repair because of accuracy issues. So when asked how bad it was lets say 1/2 at 50 yards, lets say 1 inch at 50 yards, lets say 2 inches at 50 yards, what about 4 inches. When is it the shooter and when is it just plain ole the gun is defective. There are many post on what accuracy is to many different people and i'm not here to debate that. Just wanted to get an idea of a base line should an expensive gun (2000.00)have a better MOA at 75 yards than a cheaper gun(500.00)? There has got to be a starting point and I believe that some have that bar a little high (my opinion). If you think your gun must shot less than MOA at 50 yards then i feel you are delusional. As mentioned if you can great but that is not a base line. I do believe if you can group at 3 MOA at 50 yards from any gun over 500 bucks you should send it in for repair. A lot of people thing 3 MOA damn that's a lot, is it? 3 MOA at 50 YARDS is inch and a half or 3.8 centimeters or 38 millimeters. They are all SLIGHTLY larger than a quarter 2.5 centimeters. That is a group that a lot of people would be happy with in there NEW gun. Know once you get to know it and all its characteristics you may get the groups down to 1 or less MOA. Hope that is straight enough for ya.

Shelby: I agree with most of what you are saying, most guns do out shoot the shooter no doubt. The more we know proper technic and apply them our shooting can only get better. But again I think you observation of what 3 MOA really looks like at 50 yards can you even see a quarter at 50 yards on the ground with out a scope? I can hit a quarter 10 out of 10 at 25 yards, i can hit a quarter 9 out of 10 at 50 yards, i can hit a quarter 6 out of 10 at 75 yards and i'm about 50 / 50 at 100 and I"m damn happy about that, but i'm not going to say if your gun can do that then it must be defective and a quarter is a hair shy of 2 MOA at 50 yards. I believe a dime is a hair or 2 bigger than 1 MOA at 50 yards. Perspective and expectation. 1 MOA is great i think it is just to much to expect before calling a gun a lemon.

"Goodtogo"So if your rifle is 1 moa that would give every shot in 1/4 inch at 25 yards? Wow that means you will score 250 on your targets each time? Sounds like a Thomas or a Raw?

http://www.airgunnation.com/topic/wrabf-erabsf-usarb-25-metertarget-post/

Me...
Wish I knew how to quote properly.
When I say I can shoot better than moa I am talking about shooting groups. I do not move my gun when I shoot groups. You are talking about something completely different. Shooting a card you move the gun for every shot.

You can wordsmith “accuracy” until the cows come home given all the factors that come into play, but here is mine. 

A good air rifle (one I could afford to buy) should shoot, from the bench, 2 MOA or better and a premium air rifle (out of my price range) should shoot 1 MOA or better at the range and target selected by the shooter. 

This is a sliding scale since it is range dependent, but our club shoots air rifles at ranges from 10 meters to 75 yards.

Intended target is important too. We shoot a 50 yard target where the ten ring measures 1.65 inches. Shooting is in prone, sitting and offhand. Here a definition of good is different then benchrest at the same distance.

Ginuwine1969.....

There is no way I can see a quarter on the ground without a scope. The fact is, I have a scope.....I run a 8-32-56 Sightron on my Impact so seeing anything is not a problem.

Now I do not know how you measure your groups but I use ctc. I start with measuring the O.D. then minus the caliber. This is kind of the gold standard for measuring groups where I come from. Now if we look at the targets I posted earlier my first group was .533 so minus .250 and we have a .283 group (almost 1/2moa) the last group turned into .369 ctc (well under moa). A dime will easily cover those groups.

The middle group, like I said, I loaded the bipod to show how much of a effect hold plays into accuracy. That group turns into a .634 ctc. Not moa but close. A quarter will just cover that group and that group is not far off moa. That middle group that already looks like crap would almost have to triple in size to make a 3moa group.

Again, I do not know how you measure but this is how I was taught to do it. Clearly we have different views of moa.

Maybe I should add 2 moa straight out of the box with no testing. 1 moa after pellet selection and testing.

Blue: question if you have a Cz barrel and stick it in a 200 dollar gun or 2000 dollar gun, why should your expectation of that barrel be any different? I got it the more money, more quality, more bells and whistles, but at the end of the day its still the same barrel. Yes, yes, yes, i know we are more than the sum of all our parts: regulator, harmonics, trigger pull, etc. if barrel, FPS, pellet, and hold are all the same then both should perform relatively the same. I'm sure Fx isn't going to come out and say the Streamline is a cheap FX rifle that wont shoot as well as the Crown, they are just going to say one has more bells and whistles and better quality wood. Oh an 1,65 inches at 50 yards is over 3 MOA.

Shelby: The seeing the quarter at 50 yard was not about your eyes, but about the impressive task of hitting something so small at such a distance. You are a great shooter, dont know why you keep talking about you, Just a standard expectation of a new gun off the shelf that a shooter was getting to know and judging if it was good or defective.

How i measure groups is irrelavant unless we shooting in some competitive manor. Gold standard.....that's funny compared to what? Silver and Bronze standards? I know what i choice to do is non-standard just a personal choice, again has nothing to do with nothing. But we are here talking about standards in expectation, so we are making progress. Thank you for sharing.