N/A air gauge accuracy

Mubhaur, does the "Sekhmet" fit the RAW w/o the need to cut the stock?
Even if yes, that's $100 for the pressure gauge .....

Do you think the other gauge (feedback) data helps in your process?

I put the 25mm on mine but it’s the BR stock.

IMG_1348.jpeg

After reading a post on GTA where the member had swapped out the tiny 23 mm gauge on his Vulcan 3 for a Wika 28 mm unit , I was impressed. I pm'd him and he shared his method. It involved slightly enlarging the stock for the new gauge . After seeing the results , I was in. Glad I did it and it's a big help for old eyes. The new gauge seems to be on par with the 2 1/2" gauge on my JoeB tank. Money well spent.

before : I had already enlarged the cut out for the new gauge.

KIMG4222.JPG

after

KIMG4226.JPG

I buy the cheap digitals from Amazon, that aren't so cheap anymore, but they work. I just need to know the pressure. Interesting note, my #2 on my Maverick started reading 100 bar over what was suppose to be set, so I figured that the gauge needed a reset, pulled the battery, pressed the button a few times, reinserted the battery and ...nope same thing. It shot fine at the right speed so I didn't sweat it, just ordered another gauge. Took the gun out for it's ground squirrel feeding and...WTH pellets fell out of the muzzle, Got home popped the #1 reg apart and...ok needs new o-rings all the way though, the plastic piston was actually concave on the end replaced it with a brass one, of course one of FX's mistakes, too long but it works well enough until the replacements come. Took #2 apart changed the adjuster o-rings, they just fell apart. Re-pressurized and.....the gauge reads correctly. Wonder of Wonders.

This 23mm Wika reg gauge on my Wildcat is the worst I have ever seen. Not necessarily in terms of accuracy, but for readability. Tiny little gauge and for some unknown reason the designers of it chose to only use about 20% or less of the face as the portion to provide readings, so the entire range of readings is smashed into one little sliver. And the needle is very thick. So is the reg reading at 125, 130, 140, 145??? Impossible to really tell. As close to useless as it can get, IMO.

IMG_6697.JPG

You guys are pretty trustworthy ! I guess I am too.

With normal "BAR", reading gauges, it's a VERY coarse read. That is, YOU CAN'T TELL, how close one gauge is to another !
Unless you have a big 3"+ dia. gauge with single digit hash marks or digital gauges, you are just guessing about the % difference, gauge to gauge.

The 2-1/2" gauge on my fill tank is "supposed to be" within 3% according to the guys at Top Gun Arms. But again, being that 1 bar equals 14.5 psi...those little psi values will add up pretty fast, when you CAN'T see 1 bar on 99% of the analog gauges that we get on our guns !

All this reminds me that a couple of years ago, I was going to build a test manifold, using a certified pressure gauge as the telltale. I never did.

Mike
Anything over 3% is not worth having for these high pressures. The regulator gauges should not exceed 1%. Just my 2 cents.

I have a glycerin filled gauge on my SCBA that came from Joe B. I feel it’s fairly accurate and it’s what I go by when filling my guns.
Yeah, all the testing I do on my PCP regulators is done with either the Best Fittings or glycerin filled gauges I have.
These gauges have agreed with my Xisico pump so I know ........... it's accurate.

50/250 = 20% off

That's a lot.
You know Spartan,
When I wrote that post something intuitively seemed wrong ....... but for some reason I stopped thinking about it ........ I'm a Finance Guy :p.
Yes, the gauges on RAW's are crap, but they're consistently (high) crappy ......... so you pretty much know where you're at.

This 23mm Wika reg gauge on my Wildcat is the worst I have ever seen. Not necessarily in terms of accuracy, but for readability. Tiny little gauge and for some unknown reason the designers of it chose to only use about 20% or less of the face as the portion to provide readings, so the entire range of readings is smashed into one little sliver. And the needle is very thick. So is the reg reading at 125, 130, 140, 145??? Impossible to really tell. As close to useless as it can get, IMO.

View attachment 443949
This gauge is emblematic of almost all gauges found on airguns from $2K or less ........ likely more expensive ones too:cautious:.
Yes, you can tell if the airgun is empty or roughly 1/2 full, 3/4 full etc. everything else is a guess ............
These gauges are good estimators ......... nothing else.
-> Obviously the airgun industry doesn't think it's that important!

All Tanks have a different reading. I fill tanks at our airgun day at our local range. We have a Bauer Junior and fill to 300 bar on our gauge. Never has a tank matched our gauge exactly and this is the 2nd hose and gauge we've had on the Bauer. Most are within 100 to 200 bar but some exceed that most often on the below side.
That's interesting. The decommissioned SCBA tanks that I use have what look like very expensive valve/gauge assemblies on them. I would expect inaccuracy out of the tiny and inexpensive gauges found on many guns and paintball tanks, but not on firefighting equipment.

I've found the small analogue gauges to be more accurate toward the middle of their sweep. I usually swap the supplied gauges with 5000 PSI units on my 3000 PSI guns. That way, my target fill pressure isn't at the top of the gauge sweep, and hopefully more accurate. In any case, the gauges on my guns generally agree with the one on my pump.