• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air dryer for Yong Heng compressor

If you got the wrong one I would complain! Otherwise you need a water separator! The Tuxing seem to be the most reliable At $135 or so... it adds a bunch to the Yong Heng. I just got the one that comes with the water separator and I am waiting for the Tuxing stand alone filter to arrive, just the one with the 3or4 filter media. You can change the media to fit your needs. I think it was $90 to my door. I'm hoping that I do not need the additional water separator beyond what mine came with. Mostly it depends on what you are filling and your humidity. The dual tube Tuxing (water + filter) is the "cats meow" but doubles the cost of the compressor.

I guess you can buy parts for the Yong Heng, maybe you can find the water separator and additional tubes if you can't work something out with the folks you ordered from.

20210214_114539.1614113027.jpg

10 mm outside ; 7mm inside .

The funny thing about moisture and pressure is to think of it as a sponge.

The more you squeeze it, the more moisture will come out and drain off.

That's why diving compressors has a PMV (Pressure Mainting Valve) that ensures no air gets from the compressor to the tank/gun before a steady pressure of a minimum of 150bar~2200psi ish (actual pressure may wary!). Thus fed air is in a steady state where water pressure is always at 100% and can be drained of before air is entering the tank/gun.

You can mostly do that at the high level YH compressors (cyclone moisture traps) but the more inline moisture you can get the better off you are.

The smaller inline filters hold no more than some @30ccm~1.8cui of desiccant and that is saturated before you know it!

Larger volume filters need larger diameter tubing and thus material cost skyrockets.

So there's no free meal here either ;-)

If you got the wrong one I would complain! Otherwise you need a water separator! The Tuxing seem to be the most reliable At $135 or so... it adds a bunch to the Yong Heng. I just got the one that comes with the water separator and I am waiting for the Tuxing stand alone filter to arrive, just the one with the 3or4 filter media. You can change the media to fit your needs. I think it was $90 to my door. I'm hoping that I do not need the additional water separator beyond what mine came with. Mostly it depends on what you are filling and your humidity. The dual tube Tuxing (water + filter) is the "cats meow" but doubles the cost of the compressor.

I guess you can buy parts for the Yong Heng, maybe you can find the water separator and additional tubes if you can't work something out with the folks you ordered from.

Unfortunately I bought it through a 3rd party who did not know to inspect it when they picked it up from a craigslist seller. It was new and unused as advertised but not the model that was advertised. So I would need to get a water separator for it or buy the correct one with a water separator and save this one for parts.

Maybe someone on the forum has a blown compressor they would sell the water separator from?... hmm

I have a Tuxing gold filter on mine and after two tank top offs the desiccant is saturated and requires removal and drying in an oven. I recently installed a desiccant filter to the intake side and it has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced moisture output from the pump. I get zero moisture now from my moisture blow off valve. 

I saw a thread on Hard Air and basically built something similar.

https://hardairmagazine.com/ham-columns/why-not-pre-dry-high-pressure-air-when-filling-your-pcp/

Another equally effective and ultimately less costly moisture removal device would be to add a dive compressor quality moisture separator to your Yong Heng output instead of a gold filter. The gold filter is a sponge. The water separator has the ability to remove 99% of the moisture and dump it without needing to recharge desiccant beads. It uses air movement to basically act like a centrifuge to remove the moisture. All high end compressors use them to do 99% of moisture removal. The Yong Heng compressors have a tiny version but it's not nearly as effective as an aftermarket unit like this one. https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Water-Oil-Separator-Filtration-Compressor/dp/B077SX5G9V/ref=sr_1_24?dchild=1&keywords=PCP+water+oil+cyclone+separator&qid=1614635629&sr=8-24

I have a Tuxing gold filter on mine and after two tank top offs the desiccant is saturated and requires removal and drying in an oven. I recently installed a desiccant filter to the intake side and it has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced moisture output from the pump. I get zero moisture now from my moisture blow off valve. 

https://hardairmagazine.com/ham-columns/why-not-pre-dry-high-pressure-air-when-filling-your-pcp/

So do you keep the desiccant sealed off from outside air when the pump is not in use? How often do you dry out the intake side desiccant?

So do you keep the desiccant sealed off from outside air when the pump is not in use? How often do you dry out the intake side desiccant?

Yes, it’s a sealed canister on the high pressure output side isolating the desiccant from the atmosphere. I’ve only used this new intake side filter set up three times and so far the beads have not changed color yet.

E6EDC68E-4713-4634-A6B7-A196F50BCCA1.1614732625.jpeg
271A0609-0769-447F-A8DE-E43FE54E9737.1614732715.jpeg

Nice setup igolfat8. Thanks for the pics. It helps me visualize what I might want to do.

I'm probably going to build an all in one cart system to hold the compressor, the filters, the bucket of water, and a shelf above it all to rest the rifle on while it fills. Put it on locking casters and just roll it out of the way when not in use. It'll suck having one more thing taking up space in my garage, but oh well...

If anyone else has pics of their compressor setups, please feel free to share.