• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air compressor recommendations

Hi,

I just got my Wildcat MkIII Sniper after waiting forever(!) and now I've realized that the scuba shops in my area cannot fill beyond 3200psi. I live in Los Cabos, Mexico and all the scuba gear here is old DIN200 based. So, it looks like I need my own compressor. Obviously there is a ton of info on here but the consensus on which is the best one to get seems to change quickly. I've been looking at the Yong Heng for a while as well as the Tuxing 2 cylinder and Daav. I import stuff from China in my work, so I am not afraid to bring one in from there if I need to. I guess what I need to know is, which one is the best, and which version of it do I need. Seems like there are like 100 versions of the Yong Heng, auto shutoff, etc etc. so if that's the best value, which one is the best and from where?

All input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi K. Bastien, I just purchased a Yong Heng and I've had it about a month. I use it to fill my Hatsan Blitz. Before I ordered it through Orion Motor Tech which is facilitated via Amazon, I read every review I could find, from One Stars to Five Stars---all of them! After that I got a general sense of what the compressor is all about. After all my reading, I learned to take the Yong Heng naysayers with a grain of salt.

So far, I've found my Yong Heng to be a reliable compressor. I've filled my gun 10 times so far, no issue. I actually enjoy the process. It's a solid, well built machine. My gut feeling/impression is this; if you take care of it ( through care and maintenance, etc.) it will take care of you.

If you have any specific questions about the Yong Heng, feel free to reach out. Airgun Nation will notify me via email if you reply.

BTW, There are 4 versions of the Yong Heng Air Compressor; I own the Hardback Edition. Best of luck, friend, Fellow air gunner and artist, Jef

1597619117_14582177385f39bbadc3fa74.57829428.jpeg

The "Simple Edition" does not have a water separator and the "Auto Stop Edition" stops near 3000psi so you likely want the "Hardback" or "Set Pressure" units. These are decent compressors I have one that has been good for 2 years and another, I bought for back up because I over heated my original badly several times, that had a $12 part go bad in two months.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I should have mentioned I've got a 75ci Omega carbon fiber bottle I will be filling with it - I know what means it will run longer and wear more, but it sounds like people are using the Yong Heng to fill bottles without too much difficulty. The "set pressure" version seems like a good idea if it could actually turn itself off at a set temp without babysitting it, but whether it actually works seems unclear. Is the consensus that the "hard cover" version is the best?

The set pressure version works pretty well but it is not totally reliable and shouldn't be trusted to leave unattended. The coolant pump is also something that should be supervised so having an auto-stop feature is redundant IMO. The information about the auto-stop version above is incorrect. The cut-out switch on this model is set to trip at 300 BAR on the gauge. Mine stops just under that at about 4200 PSI. I have disconnected the switch and it now operates the same as the hardcover version. If I was buying another one and I had a choice, I would get the hardcover version.

The set pressure version works pretty well but it is not totally reliable and shouldn't be trusted to leave unattended.

I have never used that brand, but I would certainly hope there is a pop off valve as well. You're right, I cut off switch alone isn't trustworthy. My garage compressor (not my Daytech PCP compressor) has had the points stick more than once causing the pop off valve to blow.