Air Compressor (Nomad) Reliability

I am on my 2nd compressor, this one is a Nomad 3. I have a feeling that it is crapping the bed…and it only has a few hours on it

Today, it wouldn’t pump more than 180 BAR into my FX Impact. The load LED on the compressor wouldn’t rise above 15.
I shut it off and unplugged it and waited a few minutes and then tried it again and this time it worked as usual and was fine pumping 250 BAR into the gun

What do you think happened m?
Is what happened something that you guys have experienced before?

My 1st Nomad died after only a year or so

PS Is there a pump out there for under a $1,000 that can be counted on?

Pretty disappointed right now
Are you SURE the drain valve isn't leaking ? It doesn't take much @ high pressures.

Reactions: Ingwe
I've been using a GX3S-I since August of last year. I bought after my Nomad II died the second time in one year. About a month ago the GX wouldn't fill above 150 BAR. With the help of Target Forge videos and Bill himself, I was able to diagnose the problem and replace the worn part. The GX compressors seem to be fairly easy to repair and work on. Target Forge offers replacement parts. Combine that with a variety of YouTube repair videos and you may not the Unicorn Compressor, but it should offer fairly long-term reliability.
The key to longevity, seems to be, when filling, don't start the compressor with the bleed valve closed. Letting it cool down with the fans after use. I let the fans run for a time equal to the time it was pumping. And regular maintenance. Again, I follow the Target Forge Videos.
Besides, they are cheap enough to afford two: one for filling and the second being repaired ...

Reactions: BlackTitanium
I just got my Nomad II back from warranty last week. I doubt it had 8 or 9 hours total and it crapped out. Much like what the OP described except mine never came back to normal.
It pumped up mu M3 and Crown yesterday but was very loud, sounding like a knocking sound.
I don’t recall it being that loud when newer and it is the same noise it made just before it quit pumping.
I doubt you will find a reliable air cooled compressor.
I think we have a choice, YH or step up into a much larger unit like an Alkin or Coltri. You may look into an Omega. AOA swears they are having great success with those. They are more money than the Nomad but less than the Arkin or Coltri/Daystate.
Update, the returned Nomad II made it 4 fills and then died again. Two 480cc bottles and two 300cc bottles then pumped up the 300 to about 1500 psi and took a dump. And so ends my relationship with Air Venturi.
I will try to se if my money can be returned. Seriously doubt it will be. If not look forward to this one getting pummeled into pieces with a high powered PB.
I see AV has introduced the improved Nomad III. Three standing for how many hours you can expect it to run.
If you are looking to buy a compressor, I would advise to completely avoid the air cooled models.

I have wrote about my experience with the Nomad II before, here it is in a nutshell. Got mine in Jan 2019, it lasted 6 months. Air Venturi replaced it with a new one and it is still operating, probably only because I got a Hill EC-3000 in Dec 2020 and use the Nomad very, very little. In my opinion it is WAY overpriced, mainly because there is NO factory support or help in fixing it yourself. I doubt if anyone even knows how to contact the factory or, for that matter, who the factory is. Overpriced items can sometimes be justified IF they are well made and come with GREAT customer support. The Nomad has neither-NONE.

The overpriced Hill on the other hand seems to be well made and does offer pretty good factory support. There are several factory generated videos about maintaining/repairing the compressor and Hill answers e-mails regarding problems/parts failry quickly. Their parts/maintenance items are, however, OVER THE TOP overpriced. Only problem I have had with the Hill is it needed a couple check valves which they promptly furnished under the warranty.

Definitely avoid the Nomad.

It seems that what I am looking for IS a Unicorn...yet the companies that we buy from continue selling them

I do love your setup, but I do really want an air-cooling pump. I am never filling tanks so I only need it for my guns bottle.

I am researching the Hill EC-3000 now, and so far I haven't seen a bad review
I know this is an old post but did you end up with the Hill? If so how is it holding up? I just started using one last week (less than 2hrs on it still) but I like it so far. It isn't as fast as my Yong Heng but it is sooooo much quieter. For speed purposes I can't really compare apples to apples though. My YH was mostly used to fill 220cc cylinders to 230bar and my new guns both have 300bar 700cc carbon tanks.

For a Nomad size compressor I have been having good luck with the new Yong Heng 110/12V compressor with auto shut off. Go wo walmart.com and search for 300 bar compressors it is only $229 and free shipping. Darn they raised the price to $289 for the holidays still a great deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: rsfrid
I know this is an old post but did you end up with the Hill? If so how is it holding up? I just started using one last week (less than 2hrs on it still) but I like it so far. It isn't as fast as my Yong Heng but it is sooooo much quieter. For speed purposes I can't really compare apples to apples though. My YH was mostly used to fill 220cc cylinders to 230bar and my new guns both have 300bar 700cc carbon tanks.
Sorry for the delay! The Hill pump has been working GREAT and I am very happy with it as compared to the Nomd

Reactions: Sqwirl57
I am on my 2nd compressor, this one is a Nomad 3. I have a feeling that it is crapping the bed…and it only has a few hours on it

Today, it wouldn’t pump more than 180 BAR into my FX Impact. The load LED on the compressor wouldn’t rise above 15.
I shut it off and unplugged it and waited a few minutes and then tried it again and this time it worked as usual and was fine pumping 250 BAR into the gun

What do you think happened m?
Is what happened something that you guys have experienced before?

My 1st Nomad died after only a year or so

PS Is there a pump out there for under a $1,000 that can be counted on?

Pretty disappointed right now
And yet you keep buying them? Mine last 1 yr and 7 months, it was repaired less then a year which I paid to send it over and 2 months later I got it back, very disappointed.

I spent over 3 grand on cheap compressor, the stress and disappointment, I should’ve saved that money and get a Coltri or Alkin which will last longer. Lesson learn. My humble opinion.
I hear ya, while $3K is not cheap,and spending $4100 on the Alkin is very expensive it is likely that the Alkin will not give you any problems over the long haul.