Air Compressor (Nomad) Reliability

I am on my 2nd compressor, this one is a Nomad 3. I have a feeling that it is crapping the bed…and it only has a few hours on it

Today, it wouldn’t pump more than 180 BAR into my FX Impact. The load LED on the compressor wouldn’t rise above 15.
I shut it off and unplugged it and waited a few minutes and then tried it again and this time it worked as usual and was fine pumping 250 BAR into the gun

What do you think happened m?
Is what happened something that you guys have experienced before?

My 1st Nomad died after only a year or so

PS Is there a pump out there for under a $1,000 that can be counted on?

Pretty disappointed right now

I just got my Nomad II back from warranty last week. I doubt it had 8 or 9 hours total and it crapped out. Much like what the OP described except mine never came back to normal.
It pumped up mu M3 and Crown yesterday but was very loud, sounding like a knocking sound.
I don’t recall it being that loud when newer and it is the same noise it made just before it quit pumping.
I doubt you will find a reliable air cooled compressor.
I think we have a choice, YH or step up into a much larger unit like an Alkin or Coltri. You may look into an Omega. AOA swears they are having great success with those. They are more money than the Nomad but less than the Arkin or Coltri/Daystate.

Reactions: rsfrid and Ingwe
Ingwe,
You're searching for a Unicorn, an oil-less, waterless, "plug and go" HPA compressor with longevity and dependability. Heat kills compressors, the Yong Heng uses water, crankcase oil and a fan for cooling, the "plug and go" only use high speed fans. It's no mystery why the Yong Heng provides longer, more dependable service. Here's my two-year-old garage set-up, total cost, filters, hoses, adapters included, less than $500. Bucket, stool, water pump and hoses are set up and broken down each fill session, the remainder is permanent. Simple and easy to use, Yong Heng is a no-brainer. WM
IMG_20220322_203924.jpg

Ingwe,
Budget will dictate your choice, big dollar units ($1,500 on up) will handle your needs just fine. Unfortunately, for many that number is too high and the Yong Heng gets the nod. Searching "Hill EC-3000" in the archives, especially using member "Biohazardman" as part of the search should provide some eye-opening pictorial comparisons. Happy Searching, WM

If space is requiring a small cheap compressor and a dive shop/ scba tank isn’t an option I’d go cheap as possible. I would also accept it’s a consumable. Be prepared to pitch and buy again. Heck look at this way. Many people spend way more than 250-300 month on a car payment. You shouldn’t have to buy one every month right?

I highly recommend you FIRST check for air leaks in the most obvious places first, then go to the harder to get to areas. Begin with the oil purge valve under the compressor, then check the supply hose fitting. Some cheap fitting will leak if pressurized with the slightest slant or side pull. I had this issue myself and found it was the male to male foster. It could also be the o-rings in the fittings. After that, proceed with other recommendations.

Reactions: rthor and Ingwe