Air Arms TX200 MKIII

I am completely new to air guns other than I had a Crossman CO2 rifle as a kid.

I am new to this forum and just signed up.

I am an avid handgun collector and have shot those competition in the past, have my CCW etc.

I was considering the cheaper Gamo and Crosman rifles but every time I scrimp I am sorry later….

After a lot of research, I have decided I want to buy an Air Arms TX200 MKIII. It will be used for mostly target and some pest control problems I am having now. My wife is at her wits end right now.

Here is my issue- I am left handed but somewhat ambidextrous as well. I usually shoot left handed, golf right handed, use tools left handed and write left handed. You get the idea…..

All the Air Arms LH stock TX200’s seem to be on long back order for 3 months or so, but I can order a .177 RH walnut stock rifle now.

I see the locking mechanism for the cocking under lever as well as breech opening are on the right side on the RH version and the LH side on the LH version. I do see stocks can be ordered for around $400 from air arms and they list a TX200 LH walnut LH stock for TX200 rilfles. I am not concerned about the breech and lock on the RH side if I order and retrofit a LH stock. I am thinking I can use or modify the LH stock to work on a RH gun later…..some minor wood carving to clear the locking mechanism would be required unless this LH stock that can be ordered separate is already designed to be used on LH and RH breech rifles.

I could order a gun tomorrow RH and shoot right handed for now for my pest needs and place a special stock order for several months out. That way I would end up with both LH and RH options for my TX200.

Anyone with insight on this mod is appreciated. I would end up with two stocks this way…..

Craig

Last edited:
I Have a lefty TX200,it is great if you are left-handed,if you are right-handed and shoot left handed Not so good..
As for the stock,I love the stocks you can order from the English stock maker, you can get a righty or lefty, no ambi !
I think the place is called LTD,check it ,a hellva deal..and I have 2 of them..
Hate to say it ,but the reason I shoot my HW97 so much more than my TX=97 is a lot easier for me to load...will say I have large fat fingers.
I think if you have no problems loading a TX200 it is a better choice....never-the-less both are great.

I Have a lefty TX200,it is great if you are left-handed,if you are right-handed and shoot left handed Not so good..
As for the stock,I love the stocks you can order from the English stock maker, you can get a righty or lefty, no ambi !
I think the place is called LTD,check it ,a hellva deal..and I have 2 of them..
Hate to say it ,but the reason I shoot my HW97 so much more than my TX=97 is a lot easier for me to load...will say I have large fat fingers.
I think if you have no problems loading a TX200 it is a better choice....never-the-less both are great.
Thanks! I sure appreciate the fast response! I am guessing the LH stock I would order for future LH shooting would fit or be able to be modified for the RH barrel. I am calling air gun depot at 7AM tomorrow and see if they have an outlook on the LH gun- it shows overdue on back order. Everywhere else says 3 months. If that is the case I am ordering the RH gun tomorrow. I am used to loading other long guns with RH breech anyway…..but I cheek the stock on my left cheek. I could put up temporarily with that being messed up- not sure how bad the hand grip will feel on the stock. Worst case I could shoot RH for a few months!

Thank you!

Last edited:
Thank you! I see it has a left hand stock shown and has the cutouts for the right hand barrel too!

I also found the Weihrauch HW97 K you mention and it appears these are the two premier rifles. That one appears to be ambidextrous. I really like the Air Arms walnut grips and barrel finish.

Is the air arms a higher collectibility piece than the Weihrauch ? These both look like very fine guns.

Optics I was planning was the Hawke sidewinder 30 SF 4-16x50 IR pro II reticle.
They also show a version that says 10x half mil. Can you explain the difference? I am new to optics as I am mostly an iron sights handgun guy.

Thanks so much for your help!

Craig

AA and HW are both great air gun makers, forget the collectible thought. They have been making the same springers for decades.
That scope is a very good one, remember to get good scope mounts.
I have the black thumbhole HW 97, shoot it lefty and it fits good, that said I just got the lefty LTD stock for it.
If you shoot righty a couple of months and are a beginner you may never change back.
HW is German, AA is English and AA was really good bluing and walnut stocks.
Both of those are under-levers ,the problem with a righty TX200 is you are going to load it with your right hand..If that is a problem get the HW97 for now and a Lefty TX200 when you can......sorry I don't what to confuse you,LOL.

bbvette - I noticed that you are in the Tucson, AZ area so you are in reasonable driving distance to Airguns of Arizona in the Phoenix area. Recommend you visit their store and talk with them. They carry Weihrauch airguns and you can handle the various models and pick their brains about the pros and cons of springers. Not many of us live that close to a major airgun vendor.

Reactions: maxtrouble
I owned a custom LH stocked TX for years and I had an thumbhole HW 97 as well for many years as well. TX is the pretty smoother shooting rifle but the 97 I think is easier to operate and I preferred as LH shooter the ambi TH stock. I shot springers for 40 yrs until I sold them all and went to PCP last year and the TX is as good as it gets BUT honestly at $700+ for a TX it's hard to compete against entry level PCP's now like the JTS Airacuda or a benjamin cayden which I have. With the cheap PCP gun compressors now you can get into a rifle and a compressor for under $1K. I agree with fderry I would go to AOA before you buy and shot a TX or 97 and then try a "budget" PCP before you make a decision. Good luck!

"Both of those are under-levers ,the problem with a righty TX200 is you are going to load it with your right hand..If that is a problem get the HW97 for now and a Lefty TX200 when you can......sorry I don't what to confuse you,LOL."

I am lefty , bought the HW97k ambi and like it a lot , currently looking to buy TX200 lefty but not sure why ? the 97 is a great gun and tuned to lower power is even better .

AA and HW are both great air gun makers, forget the collectible thought. They have been making the same springers for decades.
That scope is a very good one, remember to get good scope mounts.
I have the black thumbhole HW 97, shoot it lefty and it fits good, that said I just got the lefty LTD stock for it.
If you shoot righty a couple of months and are a beginner you may never change back.
HW is German, AA is English and AA was really good bluing and walnut stocks.
Both of those are under-levers ,the problem with a righty TX200 is you are going to load it with your right hand..If that is a problem get the HW97 for now and a Lefty TX200 when you can......sorry I don't what to confuse you,LOL.
Thanks again!

Craig

I have a lefty TX200 MKIII and it is a very nice under lever rifle. I would order a left hander from the factory, it is a beautiful stock and worth the wait.

However, I would also advise you to visit Airguns of Arizona. They sell Weihrach air rifles of great quality. Buy once cry once. A nice under lever or break barrel is a short drive away.

274C7723-A802-40CE-B7FB-02D874386A2D.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a couple of RH TXs in after market LH stocks. If you learn to cock with your left hand and load with your right, your right hand is perfectLH located to thumb the ABT release. For me this works out much better than using a straight LH gun. Uj
I like that thinking too. To me, loading with my left hand sound backwards. It feels natural to me to load a rh breech. But I cheek a rifle on my left cheek. Thanks!

Craig

I have a lefty TX200 MKIII and it is a very nice under lever rifle. I would order a left hander from the factory, it is a beautiful stock and worth the wait.

However, I would also advise you to visit Airguns of Arizona. They sell Weihrach air rifles of great quality. Buy once cry once. A nice under lever or break barrel is a short drive away.

View attachment 282530
Nice gun! I checked and they have no stock right now- would drive up if they did…..

Thanks! Craig

Reactions: maxtrouble
Nice gun! I checked and they have no stock right now- would drive up if they did…..

Thanks! Craig
The HW97 is the TX200's direct counterpart. They both are very accurate. Heavy and not my first choice for field work but fun shooting off the bench. I suggest putting an order in with AoA for one.

Or, if you want a lightweight, powerful break barrel, I suggest the HW95. If I could keep only one air rifle, it would have to be the HW95. Perfection. I suggest checking out some videos on youtube. There are many channels that provide a wealth of information on the sport and available equipment.

It is a very slippery rabbit hole, but an incredibly fun hole to look for the bottom!

View attachment 282530
BBVETTE , YOu can go to AOA and handle both guns right there , i mean RH model TX200 , call first to make sure they have one

The HW97 is the TX200's direct counterpart. They both are very accurate. Heavy and not my first choice for field work but fun shooting off the bench. I suggest putting an order in with AoA for one.

Or, if you want a lightweight, powerful break barrel, I suggest the HW95. If I could keep only one air rifle, it would have to be the HW95. Perfection. I suggest checking out some videos on youtube. There are many channels that provide a wealth of information on the sport and available equipment.

It is a very slippery rabbit hole, but an incredibly fun hole to look for the bottom!
I sure appreciate everyone coming out of the woodwork to help! This will be 97% bench and 3% bird varmint control at 10-15 yards- having yard pest issues. Part of my issue transcends function and relates to appearance and I love the TX200 visual appearance more. I also prefer the under lever concept more than the break barrel design but that is probably my hobby machinist and engineer background!

Thanks!

Craig