Air Arms TX 200 Mk III Arrived Today

I got lucky. My FedEx driver had to work on Saturday due to black Friday so I got my gun today instead of having to wait Till Monday.

Everybody says this gun is impressive but until you see and hold one you don't get the full measure of its stature. This is a monster of an air rifle. It's bigger and heavier than my Browning 300 short magnum elk rifle. It is quite chunky to boot. I have large hands and the pistol grip feels quite large to me. Thick. Of course the blueing or black chroming or whatever this finish is ... is very nice. The walnut is nicely figured however the oil finish is a bit plain. I have a slight blemish at the right side pistol grip laser engraving. Kinda looks like the laser got loose and made what looks like scratches across the top of the grip. No biggy. The over all look of the gun is just a knock out. Those fish scales are hot. But ...You'd have to be The Rock or The Mountain from GOTs to want to walk around with this gun once scoped. Although we do a lot of pesting from an open jeep so it will get used other than just at the bench.

At the bench: Took a bit to get this outfit anywhere approaching put together. We won't talk about 'dialed in' yet. First I had to figure out that it has a significant barrel droop. About 6 or 7 inches at 25 yds I estimate. I will have to order the Leapers one piece droop compensating mount. I put my Hawke Airmax 30 4 x 16 x 50 on it with FX Nolimit adjustable mounts. These are not the right mounts for a springer I know. Probably won't hold up.

Either the gun is quite hold sensitive, the scope is coming apart inside, the gun's poi is variable until broken in .... or I've lost my mind. %^) Using Exact Jumbo Diabolo 16 gr ... after about 100 pellets it seemed to settle down. Or I did. Up to then I was twisting on those turrets every 5 shot group. The last three groups at 25 yds were under or at the size of a quarter and one of them maybe a nickel. I tried the light no interference type hold and that did not do. I got the best groups with a firm but not tight tuck to the shoulder and no forearm touching at all. Just resting on the sandbag. If I held the gun completely loose the group would open up to a couple inches. More experimentation is in order. 

The rifle is reasonably quiet. Not urban back yard quiet but certainly nowhere close to a 22 rimfire. Not really any twang. But it goes chank and not chunk when it speaks. No growl or rubbing noise when cocking. You can hear the spring but just barely. Like rubbing your hand across your jeans lightly. Compared to a pcp the recoil is of course quite noticeable but tame and greatly absorbed by the mass of the gun. The cocking effort is not bad at all for reasonably in shape people. I'm a large person but older and I could have done it all day. The mechanism seems very solid. The bear trap inspires confidence but still one should hang on to that arm with your off hand while inserting a pellet. Sitting makes the cocking easier. You just put the butt of the gun on the edge of the chair seat and then work the arm. I found the fore end too thick to comfortably work the bear trap with my left fingers so I took to releasing the catch with my right hand and flipping up the cocking arm with my left.

The trigger is quite nice. I won't be needing to fiddle with it. The blade is ugly and not suitable to the otherwise dapper rifle but this is a small point. The butt pad is nicely done. It's black and goes well with the dark walnut. Obviously carefully shaped to the stock. The only true negative I have on this gun is the lack of iron sights. If you are going to make a gun this nice you ought to give folks the option of having open sights if they so choose.

How is it possible that you have barrel droop on a fixed barrel, and that much to boot? I thought barrel droop was mainly on break barrel rifles, not underlever rifles with fixed barrels. I have a one piece scope mount with no droop compensation on mine. Also, give the 18g JSB's a try and see if you can get better accuracy as well. I didn't shoot mine for 24 hours until after I placed loctite on all the major screws holding the gun together.

Hey Dr, Well, 'Barrel 'droop' is a bit of a misnomer from what I can gather. It just means the barrel may be angled differently ( usually down ) than the receiver. It can happen to any gun. From inception. Powder burners included. I'm not SURE mine is angled as I am not sure my scope is not misaligned. I don't think it is though. At present my temporary FX No Limit mounts are compensating to the degree the rear mount is nearly 1/16 inch higher than the front mount. And this puts me within a couple clicks of zeroed.

Yes, I will be trying the heavies. I bought a tin of test pellets beside the 500 count tin of Jumbo Diabolo 16 gr pellets and will try the heavies and Monsters tomorrow.

I heard a rumor that lock tighting your screws could void your warranty so I am waiting to find out about that. As of now I am just sitting at the bench with all the necessary hex head screw tips and checking regularly. %^)

Always nice to hear from you.

MAKE sure the 3 stock screws are tight and keep a eye on them. I think different moisture levels from where they are shipped from and your home can make the stock move around at first. And I check the socket that the screw that goes thru the trigger guard screws into since it is threaded and can loosen up. For mine if those screws loosen my poi will drop. And mine has no noticeable barrel droop.

The only mount I found that didnt move/shift on my Tx200 was the leapers one piece mount with stop pin. I spent some money on mounts for mine....at the end of the day the cheap leapers mount never moved.....rock solid. Also.....if your not shooting ragged holes at 20 yards consider a vortek kit down the road. It made a very noticeable difference in accuracy for me. The stock spring can recoil outwards in any direction depending on how it happens to be turned for the shot. The vortek kit has a spring guide and holds the spring straight throughout the shot cycle. The spring cannot recoil outwards if that makes sense. Not all of em need it. Mine did. Mine was lights out accurate after the vortek. Oh....and blue loctite #242 those front stock screws.

I just got these H&N Terminator pellets in 0.22 today and gave them a try in my Air Arms TX200. Figured I'd see if I can get good accuracy at 30 yards from a hunting pellet. Boy was I surprised!

Here is a 5 shot group at 30 yards, which is the range I shoot this gun at. The gun was bag rested and lightly shouldered. 

The group in the upper right corner is my Daystate Regal XL group. Ignore that. 

This was an 8 or 9 shot group at the end of today's session. Figured it was a good place to stop. As you can see by the other pic I was all over the place for a while. I think the deal is this gun is hold sensitive in the extreme. But the artillery hold does nothing. I've found a firm plant to the shoulder and a semi firm grip on the pistol grip seems to do the trick.

b6fd2a8962.jpg

I can see the images if I click the link.

As far as the way I hold my TX200, I'll usually either place the fore-end of the wood stock on the V of the bipod or rest it on a shooting bag. Then I place the butt of the rifle lightly on my shoulder and I place my non-trigger hand (left) on the bottom of the butt of the stock and gently use that to move the POI as I'm looking through the scope. A light grip on the stock and she shoots true. Just my two cents as to how I've ended up getting good groups with mine. I know each springer is different, even the same model. Good luck and try as may pellets as you can. You're bound to find one that shoots one-hole groups.

"dr_beretta"I can see the images if I click the link.

As far as the way I hold my TX200, I'll usually either place the fore-end of the wood stock on the V of the bipod or rest it on a shooting bag. Then I place the butt of the rifle lightly on my shoulder and I place my non-trigger hand (left) on the bottom of the butt of the stock and gently use that to move the POI as I'm looking through the scope. A light grip on the stock and she shoots true. Just my two cents as to how I've ended up getting good groups with mine. I know each springer is different, even the same model. Good luck and try as may pellets as you can. You're bound to find one that shoots one-hole groups.
Thanks Dr. At least I can put up a link. %^) I tried a test tin of JSB Diabolos today and Big Bertha hated em all. The Monsters were laughable. She came back to understandable when I went back to her regular diet. That 8 shot group the size of a penny made me a very happy new gun owner. These springers can make you really insecure. %^)

And now I would like to talk about stock finish ....

You take these oiled stocks out in the sun and look close and you can see a lot of open grain and even some tiny checks that could grow. It's a bit worrying. I've watched Joe's and tominco's videos and will have to do what they have demonstrated. This is a nice piece of walnut but what I learned from Joe I need to do his multiple coat and fine sanding in between. Don't want a plastic looking finish but all these grain voids and tiny checks need to be filled and sealed.

They are great rigs, heavy is steady. THE easiest springer to tune and super smooth ( no tools needed for basic rebuild).

While any rifle could have barrel droop, and I am sure that's a;ll you have, the only TX200 I have seen with such ( all the fishscale pattern but I though all fixed as it was only one batch) had an incorrect loc-tite on the barrel nut and it loosened, could be worth checking.

I do believe the TX200 has one more FT comipitions than any other springer ever.

I used 600 steel wool and tru-oil(I think 8 coats with a day of drying in between). There are many ways to work a stock. And I stayed away from the checkering.

VHvGDwR.jpg

She beat me up pretty badly tonight. Was tryin to get a group worth posting. After five or six tries I was startin to remember how to shoot her ... finally had a good 7 shot group goin for 10 and dang! 8th pellet went wide by and inch. Almost dark. Quit. No group to post. %^(

My wrong scope mounts are moving, something else is off cause I ran the turrets again a bit. It's off to PA to order a Leaper's one piece mount and some AA pellets. I'll win this war or else !

When I remount the scope I'm going to take the turrets back to center and rezero. Seems like the scope is not right. Probably cranked too far one way or the other.