• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air Arms TDR FAC - Finally in High Power

Great review! Thanks... now I have another rifle on my wish list! 
What a wonderful setup, right down to the case! I'm glad you got yourself one and it's nice to hear someone talk about keeping a rifle "for the rest of their life". 
Personally, I think there's something special about all the rifles in the AA lineup. I've had my S-510 FAC win out over many higher priced rifles over the years. It's still one of my favorites overall. The TDR caught my eye a few times but, now that it's an FAC... Oh yeah! I like it! It's understandable about the accuracy and shot count considering what this rifle was made to be. I mean, it's not a rifle you're going to get in order to shoot 100yd+ groups with. But it certainly would make a nice compact hunting rifle up to ~50yds. I wonder if it would be possible to add a regulator to flatten out the shot string and give more useable shots along the string. 

You mentioned in the video .25 cal. but, I'm only finding .177 and .22. Is it available in .25?
Cheers!
Tom

"Tominco"Great review! Thanks... now I have another rifle on my wish list! 
What a wonderful setup, right down to the case! I'm glad you got yourself one and it's nice to hear someone talk about keeping a rifle "for the rest of their life". 
Personally, I think there's something special about all the rifles in the AA lineup. I've had my S-510 FAC win out over many higher priced rifles over the years. It's still one of my favorites overall. The TDR caught my eye a few times but, now that it's an FAC... Oh yeah! I like it! It's understandable about the accuracy and shot count considering what this rifle was made to be. I mean, it's not a rifle you're going to get in order to shoot 100yd+ groups with. But it certainly would make a nice compact hunting rifle up to ~50yds. I wonder if it would be possible to add a regulator to flatten out the shot string and give more useable shots along the string. 

You mentioned in the video .25 cal. but, I'm only finding .177 and .22. Is it available in .25?
Cheers!
Tom
Hi Tom

I don't think there's even a contest between the Impact and the TDR as far as performance goes - the Impact would win every time. I am considering doing a "battle of the take-downs" sometime... I've ordered an Impact but it will only arrive in South Africa in early feb (weeping face).

The TDR can't compete with the Impact in terms of shot count, accuracy and power. If I had a choice, I would just get the Impact. But for certain situations, and for those with a tighter budget, I definitely think there's a place in this world for the TDR.

A regulator would make a big difference. I will probably install one at some point. My S510 went from 20 consistent shots to 100 consistent shots when I fitted the reg and tweaked a bit!

An to answer your last question - No, I don't think its available in .25 - and even if it was, I wouldn't waste my time with it...the cylinder is just way too small for a .25

Matt

"Matt_Dubber"
Hi Tom

I don't think there's even a contest between the Impact and the TDR as far as performance goes - the Impact would win every time. I am considering doing a "battle of the take-downs" sometime... I've ordered an Impact but it will only arrive in South Africa in early feb (weeping face).

The TDR can't compete with the Impact in terms of shot count, accuracy and power. If I had a choice, I would just get the Impact. But for certain situations, and for those with a tighter budget, I definitely think there's a place in this world for the TDR.

A regulator would make a big difference. I will probably install one at some point. My S510 went from 20 consistent shots to 100 consistent shots when I fitted the reg and tweaked a bit!

An to answer your last question - No, I don't think its available in .25 - and even if it was, I wouldn't waste my time with it...the cylinder is just way too small for a .25

Matt
Oh, I wasn't trying to compare the two. But, I totally agree with you, they both fill similar yet different niches. The TDR beats the Impact on weight though! :) 5.73 vs 7lbs (20.32oz difference) That's pretty darn light! And, I really do like that case setup. 
Great... now I've got to get a reg for my s510 and TDR (when I get one)! LOL! Thats an incredible difference with your s510. (I just love that stock you've got on there as well!) 
Thanks for getting back to me. I figured it wouldn't be worth it in a .25 cal but just wanted to make sure. I've grown very fond of the .25 cal lately. 
Enjoy!
Tom

Matt
The restrictions on silencers for Fire Arms are different than those for Air Guns. To get a silencer for a Fire Arm you have to make an application with the Alphabet org, pay a fee of several hundred dollars, and wait for approval. In most states there are no such restrictions for Air guns. My Marauder came fully shrouded from the factory.

"Dan25"Matt
The restrictions on silencers for Fire Arms are different than those for Air Guns. To get a silencer for a Fire Arm you have to make an application with the Alphabet org, pay a fee of several hundred dollars, and wait for approval. In most states there are no such restrictions for Air guns. My Marauder came fully shrouded from the factory.
Yes, but a fixed shroud/silencer is different to a detachable one. Air Arms informed me that they cannot ship the TDRs to the US with the silencers - By law they have to be fixed to the barrel, like the FX Royale silencer. 

The shrouds on the S510, Marauder, Huntsman etc are all designed specifically for the American market. None of these shrouds are as effective as a conventional silencer unfortunately. 

I believe you can purchase aftermarket silencers for your Airguns over there, but they are labeled as "lead dust collectors" to make them sound inconspicuous:)

A critical restriction on those 400 barrels is the short length. To achieve 850fps in .22 there has to be a far larger dump of air than say a 24inch barrel, principally resulting in not only inefficient use of air but higher muzzle blast/noise. In my experience, a better "max" power/efficiency balance for those rifles with those short 400 barrels are best set for around 750fps with 15.9gn pellets; regulating if you can.

Matt
Yes you can purchase the conventional "Moderators" for air guns here. For firearms it is entirely different and highly restricted. I sometimes rag on the Brits for suffering 12 ft lb restrictions but I have to admit some of our laws are just as silly. If I run my motorcycle without enough muffler I will be ticked and fined. But I cannot put a muffler on my rifle...... I did notice recently BSA and Gamo are including a traditional silencer on what Gamo sells as the Coyote pcp. The first Coyotes came here with a threaded bbl. with a end cap. Maybe they glued the silencer on to satisfy customs? I think the type of moderator included on air guns imported to the US has a lot to do with the manufacturer wanting to avoid issues with customs holding up the shipment. Keep up the great work on your channel, love the vids.