• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air Arms S510 Stealth Carbine - anyone?

Does anyone here have the Air Arms S510 Stealth Carbine? It's on my short list of my next purchase, along with the Daystate Huntsman Revere.
My question is is the moderator that comes with it removable? I have a hard time thinking of how to clean the barrel properly if it's not. You certainly wouldn't want to drag that mess through the moderator and potentially foul it up. 
I intend to purchase from Pyramyd Air if that matters.

From what I recall reading, the moderator is 'glued' in place on those guns. And if there was a choice from the manufacturer, PA is normally one to choose the 'permanently mounted' option.

You should still be able to remove it, but it will require heat the first time, and then some solvents to clean off the threads before re-assembly for easier removal the next time. And this is minimally 'heat gun' heat, not hair dryer heat.

I've got a SuperLite carbine so I never had to worry about a glued on moderator. Fine shooting, lightish and handy, and mine is un-regulated for simplicity. And with a little DFL Tanto it is plenty quiet.

IMG_1981.1629652358.JPG

In my experience (with several different guns) it has varied. I wish it were so easy as red loctite. But seems like they also use some white or gray thread locker (some have said aerospace stuff), which it sometimes seems like they put on with a paintbrush! Those are the real challenges. But don't know whether this applies to the S510 Stealth or not.

Also understand that you will likely need more than just heat. You also need some soft/non-marring vise fixtures (maybe something like wood with the proper size slot cut out, with a little sheet of silicone rubber between the wood and the gun part) which will give you a good grip on either the shroud or the moderator. That way you can use the strength of both hands to turn the other part after heating. At least for the first removal.

The first time, yes it is. And you run the risk of marring or screwing up parts.

Three options methinks:

1) Get the gun you have pre-chosen and go through this hassle carefully the first time and hope for the best (it is doable):
2) Clean the gun you have pre-chosen with the moderator in place. This can be done by using a soda straw to guide the PatchWorm or other cleaning device through the moderator and into the barrel towards the breech. I really have never heard of anyone getting a moderator fouled up by dragging cleaning patches through them;
3) Get a S510 Carbine like you want, but not the Stealth version, and add a DFL adapter and moderator.

BTW the other gun on your short list, Huntsman Revere, had a pretty ineffective (IMO) Airstream moderator in its previous iteration (Huntsman Regal). It was also glue-welded on. It doesn't look like PA carries Daystate any more, so you might likely buy the Revere from AOA. Seems like Daystate (maybe with the prodding of AOA) got a little smarter with the Revere and now just includes a thread protector covering the standard 1/2" UNF threads. Good move on their part - you can add any and all the silencer you want, of the brand of your choice.