• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Air Arms S510 for indoor 10m - Iron sights

Hi all,

I have an Air Arms S510 that I hardly ever use because it is so pretty. There is an indoor airgun 10 meter event at a local gun club during the winter though, and that might be perfect for the S510. I would need to put iron sight on it though, and am trying to figure out how I could make that happen. It seems like I should be able to find a dovetail target rear aperture sight, but a front sight might be tricky.

My first thought was that I could drill and tap my 0dB moderator and add a screw in gold bead. I could use a crush washer to get it centered and keep it centered.

Anyone have a suggestion for a good rear aperture?

Any thoughts on my idea for the front sight, or another suggestion?

Thanks,
-pg

P.S. Here is an obligatory pic of the S510:
IMG_0128.JPG

Reactions: maxtrouble
Bead front sight won’t cut it. For 10-meter rifle targets the 10 ‘ring’ is a 0.5mm dot, the 9 ring is only 5.5mm. A bead will obscure too much to be accurate. Also if competition event ISSF rules mandate the use of non-magnifying diopter and globe sights so bead in front wouldn’t be allowed.

Also assuming here that your S510 is .177, the limit for 10-meter competition.

Suggest taking the rifle to the club and checking with them as to what modifications would be required for their event before doing anything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: beerthief
I don't think they are following the rules, it is very casual, from what I understand.

I just was thinking though, the magazine may make any sort of irons pretty difficult to use, it does stick up quite a bit from the receiver.
there are single load trays for the S510 not much $ , they are a swing out single hole magazine of sorts , very easy .

If informal will they allow you to shoot is as is?
I would prefer non magnified at 10m. would make it much more interesting.
10-meter rifles are single shot. Use single shot tray instead of magazine. If needing to use magazine use sight risers to get above it.
Yeah, just trying to figure out if I can use this gun with a few tweaks.

For indoor ... Are they limiting power output at said 10m event/s
Yeah I will be turning the power all the way down and trying to a light pellet it likes. I will get it over the chrony soon to make sure I can get the power low enough. I think it will, the Air Arms really chokes down on the pellet speed with the adjustable power transfer.

Reactions: beerthief
As for a front sight .. pretty easy peezy, take off thread protector & make a Washer with protrusion/extension that will become the sight blade.
Once you have your Rear sight figured out, adjust the front blades height & shape as required.
Sliding the washer/sight back on secure it with thread protector, Which will also allow left/right clocking adjustment.
Nothing gets modified or altered.

As for a front sight .. pretty easy peezy, take off thread protector & make a Washer with protrusion/extension that will become the sight blade.
Once you have your Rear sight figured out, adjust the front blades height & shape as required.
Sliding the washer/sight back on secure it with thread protector, Which will also allow left/right clocking adjustment.
Nothing gets modified or altered.

Nothing getting modified on the gun is definitely required. Adding something to a moderator or thread protector wouldn't be a big deal if it can be made to work.

Bead front sight won’t cut it. For 10-meter rifle targets the 10 ‘ring’ is a 0.5mm dot, the 9 ring is only 5.5mm. A bead will obscure too much to be accurate.

Maybe a small pointed front sight would be the way to go for finer target acquisition. Or maybe I could figure out a way to get a globe sight up front.

Nothing getting modified on the gun is definitely required. Adding something to a moderator or thread protector wouldn't be a big deal if it can be made to work.

Maybe a small pointed front sight would be the way to go for finer target acquisition. Or maybe I could figure out a way to get a globe sight up front.
Using the washer shape idea, make it to have a foot a conventional Hood / globe Sight can attach too. Again an add on, nothing modified.

I shoot my 10-meter rifle at home for my own enjoyment of the challenge, so can take liberties. I have had to give up using diopter rear sight due to developing cataracts. Thought yet small the cataracts become visible and obscure target with use of pin-hole iris of diopter. I have no issues when using a scope. That said a regular scope seems like cheating for me at 10-meters.

Just background for this suggestion. I found a Hawke/Anschutz co-branded scope that gives same sight picture as diopter/aperture sight pair. Magnification is used to scale target to fixed aperture recticle. Intended for KK50 benchrest I found it also works at 10-meter with smaller 10-meter target. Very much same as using the diopter as far as skill required.

Sight picture through scope:
IMG_5695.jpeg

Imported by Champions Choice. Less than $200 shipped. Nice glass. Clear, bright and very sharp.

https://www.champchoice.com/mc-optics-sights/rifle-scopes/anschutz-rifle-scope-4x-12x-44mm-ao-kk-50-glass-et-hk302

IMG_5694.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: maxtrouble
a Crosman William blade sight could be added to the rear but then the hard part to get the front sight on the same plane
and without the rifle it is hard to say what that would be
for the front this it is 15mm ID but a insert can be made for the 1/2-20 threads
https://www.pyramydair.com/product/air-venturi-muzzlebrake-with-grooves?a=5875
it can be topped by this this, it is plastic and will take 17.2mm Anschutz inserts height should be close but again i am guessing like we all are
https://www.pyramydair.com/product/air-venturi-front-globe-sight-accepts-inserts?a=3190

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/...otched-blade-elevation-windage-adj-3-8?a=2008

it will neither be cheap or a done deal
i have made the inserts for 15mm to 1/2-20 out of Aluminum tubing

here is how the front sight would look

these are ideas no more no less, this putting open sights on a rifle that did not come with them has been an ongoing challenge for many on these forums

that is a 15mm OD to 1/2-20 thread what you would need to make
SAM_0555.JPG
SAM_0556.JPG

2010-08-18 14.55.26.jpg
2010-08-18 14.55.01.jpg

Reactions: rcs9250