Air Arms S510 Carbine FAC .22 Regulator Install

Well after reading a few threads about successful regulator installs on a few air arms rifles I decided to bite the bullet. I purchased a Robert Lane regulator.

Install was relatively simple however my air chamber must have been on the small side of the acceptable tolerance limit because I had a beast of a time sliding the reg. into the chamber. You would think with how tight it was it would have sealed no problem but I had to re and re it a few times to get it to stop leaking out the vent hole. Seems to be holding now.

The reg. came to me set at 130 Bar which only gave me around 825 fps with 18.1 JSB's. A bit lower than I was looking for. In the end I had to set it to 150 Bar to get an 883 fps avg.

I drilled the tube with the provided bit in a Dremel tool. Went in like butter. To cut the pot I used a pipe cutter which seemed a bit less crude than a hacksaw and though it took longer it gave me a nice even clean cut.

Sorry not a lot of pics. They wouldn't be very exciting anyway.

Here is a shot of the before and after curves. Sorry no fancy computer generated graphs here either. Just some old fashioned graph paper and some coloured pens. Call me old school.

I didn't get the huge increase in shot count that some people seem to but it is a carbine with a very small air reservoir. My main goal is to get rid of that ugly curve anyway. Any additional shots would just be a bonus.

I'm pretty happy with the red and green lines. I get 5 to 6 additional shots and they all lie within 20fps of each other. Only issue I have is that is from a 230 bar fill. With my current bottle situation that won't give me many refills.

So I am going to play around a bit and see if I can get the same results but from a 200 Bar fill. The blue line is 205 Bar so I think if I play with the hammer spring, outlet valve spring etc I can improve on that line. We'll see. i have two new hammer springs on the way so I will try clipping one first to see what that does.

One note: My kit didn't come with a replacement outlet valve spring as a couple other people mentioned that their kits did. I asked Robert about this and he said it is not a standard item on the FAC kits.

If anyone has any thoughts on how I may be able to improve on this I'm all ears. Pretty happy so far though. I feel even as is it is an improvement. Thanks.

Hey Ghostmaker,
Sure Glad you posted up on your project, nice results indeed. I'm looking for the same fpe that your shooting and a long string. I just regulated my Carbine as well but don't have it all squared away just yet. I had issues too getting a good seal on the regulator, I ended up taking a hardwood dowel, cutting a slot in one end and wrapping first some masking tape to get close to the diameter I wanted and then wrapped some 1000 grit sandpaper around the masking tape and polished the ID if the air tube by chucking the dowel up in a drill. The regulator slides in a whole lot easier now and even using the same O-ring between pull it still holds 100%. Oh, is your hammer and spring factory specs still?

My regulator was also preset at 130 and I got about the same velocity out of my 18's, 840ish and 870's out of 16gr. RL claimed 29-30fpe for the AA's at 130bar. After looking at your results it looks like I need to try a higher regulator setting. My initial install included a shortened hammer spring because another air gunner had good results shortening his, I wish now that I had left if full length and tested. But with the short spring and the reg at 130 I got a nice string of 16gr., below but lacked the energy I wanted. 

I then tried raising the regulator pressure to get the velocity up but I think with the shortened spring I didn't have enough hammer energy. 

I order a replacement full length spring from Lanes Ebay account and got it installed. It gave me the hammer energy I needed but the spring gives me a lot of twang and vibration because it's a lot larger OD and ID so it doesn't fit the hammer good and its too large for the ID of the hammer/trigger housing. About this time I also reduced the weight of the hammer by 19grams but turning it in a lathe. I have also order four different sets of music wire spring with the right dimensions to try for a better tune.

Here are a couple of strings with the twangy spring and lighter hammer. My goal is 30 shots or more at 29-30 fpe with the 18gr JSB's so I still have a little work to do. Maybe we can visit further and pick each others brains....
Jimmy

I polished the inside of the airtube quite well. It is sealing fine now. 

I haven't done anything yet other than install the regulator. All the springs are original still. I have ordered a couple of stock hammer springs that should be here end of the week. I will play with different lengths of those.

I may pull the outlet valve spring out and bring it to a local spring place we have here and get a stronger one made as well. I'll post up any positive results I get and what I did to get them. 

You're images don't show up. What pressure are you filling the gun to now?

30 shots would be nice but I would be happy with 20 shots at 30fpe from a 200 Bar fill with a spread within 20 fps. 

I got the springs from the place I bought the gun. They are air arms originals. I have ordered a new hammer as well but it won't be here for awhile. 

Those strings you posted, was that with the reg set at 130 bar? I ask because I only got about 820fps with the 18.1 grain JSB's with it set at 130. If I had got the same results you had I probably would have just called it good. 

"mapuia"I managed to get 70 shots averaging 857 fps with jsb 18.13 on my air arms extra fac (full length) between 235 and 115 bar fill with 15 fps spread. Regulator set at 130 bar, shortened hammer spring and a lighter hammer from Robert Lane.

Very nice results mapuia. Any chance you have a photo or weight on that hammer. We've been butchering our own.
jimmy

The original hammer was 49.5grams and the one which Robert Lane made for me was 36.5 grams. It reduced the fps for about 10-15 fps but increased the efficiency. 
Must be very carefull while shortening the hammer spring even 1 mm can effect the fps by 10-15 fps in my rifle. What i did was i set the regulator to 130 and used the original valve spring, after that i shorten the hammer spring by 1/2 a coil at a time and end up about 55.4mm. 

"mapuia"The original hammer was 49.5grams and the one which Robert Lane made for me was 36.5 grams. It reduced the fps for about 10-15 fps but increased the efficiency. 
Must be very carefull while shortening the hammer spring even 1 mm can effect the fps by 10-15 fps in my rifle. What i did was i set the regulator to 130 and used the original valve spring, after that i shorten the hammer spring by 1/2 a coil at a time and end up about 55.4mm. 

Yup, the hammer energy is very sensitive the length of the spring. I got carried away and shortened my factory spring too much the first go around so I had to order some replacements. What fill pressure you use for the 70 shots? I've been filling mine to 220-230.
JK

Ghostmaker you need to trim down the hammer weight. I got mine down to 39 grams from 49 grams and it didnt change the velocity. So that tells me the hammer is way to heavy for the S510 when regulated to 130 - 150 bar. I was getting 867 fps with 18 gr. jsb and a reg setting of 135 bar with the trimmed down hammer and untouched hammer spring in my carbine. I got my hammer all the way down to 34 grams and shimmed my hammer spring back to be close to full length and I now get 840 fps with 18 gr. jsb for 30 shots and 15 fps ES with a 3100 psi fill.