Air Arms Air Arms Owners

I have the 500 in 22 and bought it used. It is such a nice full size rifle. It’s over 7lbs.

I do not have a lot of opportunity to use 30+fpe, so when I do I do not want to fret about tuning. Don’t need to anyway because there is little adjustment.

It does a very nice job at full power, but I can crank down the port and shoot wad cutters in the basement. Loves Meiserters at low and anything 18 to 21 grain at full.

If you want to tune, this is not the platform.
Is there a way to adjust hammer?

My 500 factory stock I would not touch, I shoot 18 gr jsbs on 1 notch down from full power for about 50 shots. It is spot on from 15 to 115 yards at 30 fpe. It is dependable , powerful and always on target. I put a Rowan engineering manual magazine in it.
I have FX, Weihrauch, and a Talon SS pcp, all my springers are Weihrauch. It is so good I just purchased a tx200 to try on the springer side. And I am not disappointed, it shoots out of the box like a tuned Weihrauch.
I think these guys have there ducks in a row.

OK, here are my thoughts on .177 vs. .22 - keeping in mind that your primary use case is backyard target shooting…

I have not owned an Air Arms (yet), but I have extensive experience with AA competitors - Weihrauch and Daystate.

These European guns were designed/optimized for the UK 12 ft/lb power levels. They achieve excellent accuracy and shot counts at lower power level. They have been “souped up” by the manufacturers to US power levels (say 30 ft/lbs in .22).

In my experience, these rifles shoot better and provide a better all around experience when detuned to around 18 to 20 ft/lbs in .22. You also go from around 40 shots per fill to over 90 shots. When you are target shooting, you will get annoyed with 40 shots. A shot count of 40 is fine for hunting.

Because of the 12 ft/lb UK power limitation, the .177 is favored in the UK - as it gives a flatter trajectory. So, the manufacturers likely have more experience with optimizing .177 barrels over .22 caliber - but this is just a random opinion on my part.

Finally, there are some great .177 caliber pellets available- up to 13.43g (I haven’t tried the 16g .177s). So perfect for typical backyard target distances out to 40 yards.

My favorite caliber is .22. However, if I was buying the rifle you are considering for the prima purpose you described, I would likely choose .177 and likely detune it a bit… but that’s just me based on my experience with similar rifles.

-Ed
I just re-read this post Ed and alot of water has flowed under the bridge since I first read it. I got the AA S510 Carbine in .22, but true to your explanation, I ended up with a BSA R10 in .177 and just recently a Daystate Mk4 in .177 (14fpe in Power 2 and 18fpe in Power 1) Both of the .177s are perfect back yard rifles, and a laser beam accurate! 🍻 Benjamin replaced my troublesome .177 Akela with a .22 and I haven't looked back since.

Last edited:
Reactions: EPG
They are Uber sexy for sure. To me they are buku bucks for mediocre power when compared to many other guns in the price category. I love the ult sporter laminate but could never in a million years drop 1800 on one given what 1800 will get you now days.
Not every PCP customer in the U.S. is after maximum power. There are other attributes to rifle ownership more important to me, for example. The AA S510 Carbine checks all the boxes for me.

My AA 500 is my big power gun. 21gr Baracudas @860, or AA 18 @910ish, both wide open TP choke.

It may be my most accurate gun and made me a barrel snob. 4 of 5 Crosmans have Walther barrels too.

As such I don’t get to shoot it much at home,
More of a road trip gun for me.
Currently I have an open contract on a whistle pig that I need to fill for a friend. But that is 600 miles away.

The rest of my airguning is under 20fpe.

Last edited:
Reactions: orangeokie
My 500 factory stock I would not touch, I shoot 18 gr jsbs on 1 notch down from full power for about 50 shots. It is spot on from 15 to 115 yards at 30 fpe. It is dependable , powerful and always on target. I put a Rowan engineering manual magazine in it.
I have FX, Weihrauch, and a Talon SS pcp, all my springers are Weihrauch. It is so good I just purchased a tx200 to try on the springer side. And I am not disappointed, it shoots out of the box like a tuned Weihrauch.
I think these guys have there ducks in a row.
What? Rowan magazine? Is that the universal one the have on their site? Please tell us about it.

Have an S510 with a laminate stock on the way. Expensive, but I can't resist that adjustable stock. Hopefully, it treats me better than the Lelya. Definitely looking forward to no ping in my ear and easier cocking in any case. BTW, has anyone ever removed the suppressor from these? From what I've been told, it's very much stuck in place. Red thread locker, I presume?

Reactions: cavedweller
Have an S510 with a laminate stock on the way. Expensive, but I can't resist that adjustable stock. Hopefully, it treats me better than the Lelya. Definitely looking forward to no ping in my ear and easier cocking in any case. BTW, has anyone ever removed the suppressor from these? From what I've been told, it's very much stuck in place. Red thread locker, I presume?
Is this the rifle you are getting? The Ultimate Sporter?

1690574157829.png