Air Arms Air Arms Owners

I don't see alot of posting on Air Arms rifles. I've only been around a little over three months and am relatively brand new to PCPs. I just recently figured out Daystate electronic rifles and bought an older Air Wolf MTC in .22. Wow, what a great rifle. So now, I just started looking at Air Arms rifles and have fallen in love with the:

Air Arms S510 XS Xtra FAC Regulated with Walnut Stock​

1680727288531.jpeg

Per Pyramyd Air:
"If you value accuracy but don't want to sacrifice beauty, you're in luck. The Air Arms S510 XS Xtra FAC Regulated air rifle with walnut stock is a remarkably accurate airgun, and it gives away nothing in the looks department. While single-shot air rifles tend to be more accurate than repeaters, the Air Arms rifles have proven that's not true if you follow high-quality manufacturing practices. This airgun is an XS Xtra, which means it's the full-size version. You get slightly more power with the same legendary accuracy as the carbine version, and more shots per fill thanks to the longer air cylinder, making this rifle well-suited to hunting and offering superior benchrest shooting performance.

"Made in England, this Air Arms S510 XS Xtra FAC Regulated airgun with walnut stock is part of the decades-long tradition of exquisite air rifles from Air Arms. Their state-of-the-art manufacturing plant consistently produces superior air guns that are the gold standard for sporting air rifles worldwide. Bluing, triggers, stocks, mechanical function, and more are the envy of airgun manufacturers worldwide. With a Lothar Walther barrel, adjustable trigger, 10-shot magazine for fast follow-up shots, and 5-position power adjuster, this airgun is another winner. Whether you're plinking, or target shooting, or small-game hunting, this tried-and-true, durable air rifle does it all in style. If you want one of the best sporting air rifles made today, Air Arms is your ticket to shooting satisfaction, and the S510 XS Xtra will be in your family for years to come."
For those who own this rifle what is your personal opinion and which caliber do you own. It comes in .177, .22 and .25. I am trying to decide where this rifle would fit into my upper tier of rifles along side the Daystate Air Wolf MTC in .22 and my Crown Continuum in .177, .22 and .25. - This thing looks gorgeous. I'm thinking .177 or .22 mainly for backyard friendly shooting. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Reactions: rigbymauser
The AirArms rifles are AWESOME!!

The only thing that you will hear from most people is that they refuse to update their rifles for some reason. They did add a new "tactical" stock to the S5xx line of rifles, but there is really nothing new with the internals.

They are great rifles and extremely easy to work on and tune. I am really upset that I sold one of the S410 TDR with the backpack that I had a while back. Really should have never sold that rifle, it was a sweet little shooter for sure.

If you can find one get one!

I have a s510 XS EXTRA and a s500 XS carbine, both .177. The s510 has a poplar stock and the s500 carbine is walnut. The walnut stocks will vary a lot in color and grain. The poplar stocks are very nicely dyed and finished. Both of mine shoot great and like H&N Barracuda Match 4.50s , 10.65s and Crossman domes better than the last JSB 10.34s that have under sized heads with the largest heads are 4.48 with most being 4.47 or smaller. On max power the JSBs average 970 FPS, the H&N 953 FPS. The JSB 13.45s 879 FPS and JSB 16.2s 822FPS. That is 22 to 24 FPE. The regulators work great. Accuracy is stellar.

One of my first PCP rifles that I had was an AA 510, then sold it and went through a whole bunch of other stuff including 6 RAWs and 7 FX rifles among others. Most are gone with a couple of exceptions. Then I bought an AA 500 HFT and a TX200. I forgot how good the workmanship on AA guns is. They certainly are worthy of more recognition.

One of my first PCP rifles that I had was an AA 510, then sold it and went through a whole bunch of other stuff including 6 RAWs and 7 FX rifles among others. Most are gone with a couple of exceptions. Then I bought an AA 500 HFT and a TX200. I forgot how good the workmanship on AA guns is. They certainly are worthy of more recognition.
The AA PCP offerings are often overlooked here stateside. Their springer line up is solidly ensconced worldwide, but the lowly S400 is rarely mentioned outside of UK forums.

An AA S400 MPR will do anything that any other rifle in its power class can do at the target frame, and the HFT 500 is an absolutely amazing general purpose rifle. It can be employed across a broad spectrum of disciplines, and it's only accuracy limitation is the trigger puller.

I also own a TX200 and a HFT500 (y)

Agreed... have been looking for an Ev-2 for some time. Had one and loved it, though sold it to fund another rifle. There was honestly nothing like it,

Like I mentioned above, the Air Arms are awesome rifles, and everyone needs to have one.

Reactions: orangeokie
Does anyone have any significant pros or cons between the .177 and the .22 in the S510? I think I am sold on it. Just need to pick a caliber. Mainly gonna use it for target hole punching, plinking and Starling control in the backyard. For reference I already own a Daystate Airwolf in .22 with the same purpose, only it is a bottle gun. I have an Akela in .177 also. My Crown is my field hunting gun in three calibers .177, .22 and .25. and also have the Caiman X in .25 as a field hunting gun. The beauty, traditional styling and accuracy of the AA S510 is what really attracts me.

Last edited:
I don't see alot of posting on Air Arms rifles. I've only been around a little over three months and am relatively brand new to PCPs. I just recently figured out Daystate electronic rifles and bought an older Air Wolf MTC in .22. Wow, what a great rifle. So now, I just started looking at Air Arms rifles and have fallen in love with the:

Air Arms S510 XS Xtra FAC Regulated with Walnut Stock​

View attachment 346040
Per Pyramyd Air:
"If you value accuracy but don't want to sacrifice beauty, you're in luck. The Air Arms S510 XS Xtra FAC Regulated air rifle with walnut stock is a remarkably accurate airgun, and it gives away nothing in the looks department. While single-shot air rifles tend to be more accurate than repeaters, the Air Arms rifles have proven that's not true if you follow high-quality manufacturing practices. This airgun is an XS Xtra, which means it's the full-size version. You get slightly more power with the same legendary accuracy as the carbine version, and more shots per fill thanks to the longer air cylinder, making this rifle well-suited to hunting and offering superior benchrest shooting performance.

"Made in England, this Air Arms S510 XS Xtra FAC Regulated airgun with walnut stock is part of the decades-long tradition of exquisite air rifles from Air Arms. Their state-of-the-art manufacturing plant consistently produces superior air guns that are the gold standard for sporting air rifles worldwide. Bluing, triggers, stocks, mechanical function, and more are the envy of airgun manufacturers worldwide. With a Lothar Walther barrel, adjustable trigger, 10-shot magazine for fast follow-up shots, and 5-position power adjuster, this airgun is another winner. Whether you're plinking, or target shooting, or small-game hunting, this tried-and-true, durable air rifle does it all in style. If you want one of the best sporting air rifles made today, Air Arms is your ticket to shooting satisfaction, and the S510 XS Xtra will be in your family for years to come."
For those who own this rifle what is your personal opinion and which caliber do you own. It comes in .177, .22 and .25. I am trying to decide where this rifle would fit into my upper tier of rifles along side the Daystate Air Wolf MTC in .22 and my Crown Continuum in .177, .22 and .25. - This thing looks gorgeous. I'm thinking .177 or .22 mainly for backyard friendly shooting. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
I took my first wild turkey with air rifle with an AA S510 Cal.25, walnut stock.... It was a head shot.

Does anyone have any significant pros or cons between the .177 and the .22 in the S510? I think I am sold on it. Just need to pick a caliber. Mainly gonna use it for target hole punching, plinking and Starling control in the backyard. For reference I already own a Daystate Airwolf in .22 with the same purpose, only it is a bottle gun. I have an Akela in .177 also. My Crown is my field hunting gun in three calibers .177, .22 and .25. and also have the Caiman X in .25 as a field hunting gun. The beauty, traditional styling and accuracy of the AA S510 is what really attracts me.
My first PCP was a S410. I liked the trigger, the ergonomics, the accuracy, and the overall build quality.

It was a very good rifle except for a couple of things. The shrouded barrel and non-threaded muzzle was too loud, the magazine was difficult to cycle and the non-regulated valve gave big fps spreads at 30 fpe power levels.

The S510 is very similar except that it fixed all the things that I disliked about the S410. The barrel has threads for quiet accessories. The bolt action of the S410 was replaced with a side lever for the S510 so it doesn't appear to have issues with cycling the magazine. And the S510 has a regulator which should make for flat shot strings.

The only reason that I don't have a S510 is that I've grown to favor lower cost PCPs.

OK, here are my thoughts on .177 vs. .22 - keeping in mind that your primary use case is backyard target shooting…

I have not owned an Air Arms (yet), but I have extensive experience with AA competitors - Weihrauch and Daystate.

These European guns were designed/optimized for the UK 12 ft/lb power levels. They achieve excellent accuracy and shot counts at lower power level. They have been “souped up” by the manufacturers to US power levels (say 30 ft/lbs in .22).

In my experience, these rifles shoot better and provide a better all around experience when detuned to around 18 to 20 ft/lbs in .22. You also go from around 40 shots per fill to over 90 shots. When you are target shooting, you will get annoyed with 40 shots. A shot count of 40 is fine for hunting.

Because of the 12 ft/lb UK power limitation, the .177 is favored in the UK - as it gives a flatter trajectory. So, the manufacturers likely have more experience with optimizing .177 barrels over .22 caliber - but this is just a random opinion on my part.

Finally, there are some great .177 caliber pellets available- up to 13.43g (I haven’t tried the 16g .177s). So perfect for typical backyard target distances out to 40 yards.

My favorite caliber is .22. However, if I was buying the rifle you are considering for the prima purpose you described, I would likely choose .177 and likely detune it a bit… but that’s just me based on my experience with similar rifles.

-Ed

OK, here are my thoughts on .177 vs. .22 - keeping in mind that your primary use case is backyard target shooting…

I have not owned an Air Arms (yet), but I have extensive experience with AA competitors - Weihrauch and Daystate.

These European guns were designed/optimized for the UK 12 ft/lb power levels. They achieve excellent accuracy and shot counts at lower power level. They have been “souped up” by the manufacturers to US power levels (say 30 ft/lbs in .22).

In my experience, these rifles shoot better and provide a better all around experience when detuned to around 18 to 20 ft/lbs in .22. You also go from around 40 shots per fill to over 90 shots. When you are target shooting, you will get annoyed with 40 shots. A shot count of 40 is fine for hunting.

Because of the 12 ft/lb UK power limitation, the .177 is favored in the UK - as it gives a flatter trajectory. So, the manufacturers likely have more experience with optimizing .177 barrels over .22 caliber - but this is just a random opinion on my part.

Finally, there are some great .177 caliber pellets available- up to 13.43g (I haven’t tried the 16g .177s). So perfect for typical backyard target distances out to 40 yards.

My favorite caliber is .22. However, if I was buying the rifle you are considering for the prima purpose you described, I would likely choose .177 and likely detune it a bit… but that’s just me based on my experience with similar rifles.

-Ed
Agree!

For shot count and all other aspect you mentioned, the English alternative is the Wolverine NON HP.... It is a dream of rifle on all aspects !!! ..... BUT...... Airgun Technology Rifles ( Vulcan 2, Vulcan 3, Uragans and Urgan 2) are much more comfortable to carry, to shoulder and in regard of accuracy nothing to make you think on anything else.

And everything you could want from an air rifle (accuracy, comfortable to shoulder and carry, easy to use at extreme, extremely powerfully or low power just giving turns to de dimmer, consisten like no other, in a word superb) was compiled in the Sidewinder.

The AA S500 we keep I bought it many years ago for my youngest son (now just married).

My wife and my self went to a Congress in Spain and I bought the rifle in Barcelona. My youngest son was the only one missing of an AA rifle.

When we arrived from the travel to my house and my youngest son saw the rifle he started jumping of happiness, literally. That happiness is a beautiful memory all in the family keep. Impossible to sell that AA rifle !!

Last edited:

-Ed
Ed thank you for taking the time to write that thought provoking post. That is exactly for what I was looking. I was out on the back porch this morning with my .25 Crown and dialed down the power to the low setting and was shooting 16 grain GTO greens. Extremely quiet and stacking them. This is the type of backyard friendly shooting to which I aspire. If I want to go to the field and hunt I can dial back to high power and switch between three calibers and shoot slugs if I wish. The Crown does it all, but that AA S510 talks to me. I am leaning toward the .22, but with a .177 it would go together very nicely with my Daystate Air Wolf which is also very quiet. Thanks again. The only .177 I own is my Akela, but it is more of a hunting rifle, though it too has a power dial where I can tone it down in the backyard.

Reactions: Scotay42
My S-500 is .22 and at power level 4 ( 5 being highest ) I get roughly 60 shots at 30fpe . I wouldn’t consider it in a .177 myself.
I do have a .177 in a Fx Thor that is tuned to 17.5 fpe that I shoot out to 85 yds. It is non regulated.
I think a .22 is best all round hunting and plinking.
Why, specifically would you not consider a .177? Just curious of your thought process.