Air Arms owners...Target shooters, hunters or plinkers

Hello everyone, I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and have a Happy New year! 

Quick question...I’m not very familiar with the Air Arms line up of PCP’s other than what I’ve heard or what I’ve learned by watching videos and reviews on line. I’m in a rural area, don’t have a dealer near by and haven’t had the opportunity to test them out. I have shot some of their springers and absolutely love them. I know what they have to offer but wanted to hear from some of you that have them, use them often and love them.

If you could buy any Air Arms PCP, regardless of price, what would it be and why? What do you like or dislike about them? I know that’s a pretty open ended question but I’d like to hear from anybody with experience with these PCP’s, whether it be for hunting, field target, bench rest or just plinking with friends and family. 

Thanks for the help.

Stoti

It's a step up from a Benjamin Marauder and probably around 33% overpriced for what you actually get when buying new. IMHO. Wait for a used S510 for around $500 or less. You better off with a Daystate Revere or at least a Huntsman Regal XL preferably unregulated ones.

Speaking of Air Arms I really like both of the unregulated 12fpe 177 HFT500 and 177 S400 TDR specifically and the CZ made S200 177s 12fpe and 5fpe unregulated guns.

The AA multishot sidelevers don't really impress me much based on price of admission and I do own many Side levers and older bolt action AA multishot guns because majority were $300-$500 used and even at those cheap prices I wasn't really impressed but in line with Marauder prices and it does best the Marauder for sure in quality. You will see exactly what I mean after buying one especially when paying full price.

Reactions: stoti
I have 3...A 410C in .177 old school with the bolt action 12ft lbs. My absolute favorite little gun. A 510C in .22 a little powerhouse and a 510 in .177 that will shoot anything you feed it depending where the power is set. They are stout dependable accurate beautiful guns. JMHO

The 12fpe 177s sure shine I fully agree. The 22s not so much IMHO!

It is going to be for my wife. We have looked at all the .177 target guns and the other air guns mentioned as well. She probably won’t be into banging gongs at 120, 135, 150 or 165 yards like the boys and I like to do. She wants to shoot with us on occasion though and we’re all for it. She isn’t a pro or anything but she can certainly shoot and will want an accurate gun...Knowing my wife, pretty won’t hurt either! LOL

This is exactly the stuff I want to hear, thank you. Keep it coming! 

Anybody have experience with the FTP900? HFT500? The brand new XTI-50?

Thanks, Stoti

Worked on / Serviced most of them ... Owned a couple TX's and an older S410

You wanting a FIELD rifle or a TARGET gun ?

Scott, that’s the big question. My wife has shot our air rifles but never had her own. I know she would prefer shooting tiny little targets at closer distances as opposed to long range stuff or hunting. The boys and I have talked about trying field target and would love if we could do it as a family, so we’re considering a target gun for her so she has one.

I guess I probably should have just shared this to begin with but didn’t want to seem boastful. She was one of the winners of the Air Arms Christmas giveaway and can choose from any of their air guns. We’re trying to do as much research as possible and find out what people really like, what they don’t and why. Ultimately, the decision is all hers so the more information we can gather, the better. I’m sure you’ve worked on all of them at one time or another and know what people use most often at competitions. What are your thoughts?

Thank you, Stoti

F847CBF8-D657-4C06-BDB0-FEF350BEA926.1609118413.jpeg

I would change the XTI-50 with titanium tube if it's the replacement for the FTP900. Especially if it's FREE!!!

Had owned the RN10 and Pro Target and several EV2s reminded me like the FWB P70s they were nice guns. Kept the EV2s though. Recently bought another EV2.

Go for the XTI-50 TITANIUM BABY!!!

I got the HFT500 but it's only an entry level $1399 Air Arms FT unregulated but incredibly flat shooting curve.

Odoyle - That was the great news I was telling you about the other day. We had just gotten off of the zoom meeting with Claire and she told us that my wife had won. We were pretty excited but didn’t want to say anything until Claire and Air Arms made the announcement on social media. 

We’re looking mainly at the Galahad, the S510 Ultimate Sporter XS Xtra, FTP-900 and the XTI-50

Dave - Thank you! 

Stoti

I've got three AAs, love them all. The Ultimate Sporter XS Extra is a very good choice. Will your wife be shooting from a rest of some kind? I ask b/c the Ultimate Sporter laminate, though beautiful, is a tad on the heavy side--not something you'd want to carry around through the field. But it's stunning to look at. The walnut stock is likely to be a bit lighter. I now lean toward the .25, but that's just me. Great choices to have.

Thanks Stewie, we do shoot from bags and bipods a lot. She won’t be packing it around in the hills with us when we hunt. She’ll mainly be shooting targets with us at our range. The difference in weight would probably only be 1/2lb or so and she likes the look of the laminate. I think so far, we’ve got it narrowed down to the S510 or one of the top of the line target guns. 

Thanks, Stoti

If for the WIFE to shoot, weight and length are going to work against her if having to carry or shoot offhand.

Now i will agree the FTP-900 and the XTI-50 would be my focus just to get one in the stable of guns owned, but that perhaps is a bit short sided being you can i assume get her any gun she asked of you to get her ? The FTP is a 12 fpe gun.

As to the new XS series with factory regulation, there a really nice rifle and follow tradition in size weight and feel to the S410/S510 family tho IIRC in an ambidextrous stock.

The two AA rifles you mention I frankly have never handled is the Galihad Pup or the XTI-50 ... no clue.

The XTI would sure be sweet by the looks of it.

Scott

Thank you Scott. You’re thinking exactly the same thing we are. I’m glad you chimed in, I was hoping to hear from you since I knew you had likely worked on most of them. We obviously want a reliable gun and have heard nothing to the contrary about the 510 series. The FTP900 and especially the XTI-50 have our attention though. The XTI-50 does look awesome. Thanks again and Happy New Year.

Stoti

Hello Stoti!

I owned 2 AA's, One; an S510 pre-regulated walnut stock, that I installed a Lane regulator and it was a great rifle. The other was the Ultimate Sporter with the laminate stock with adjustable cheek pad. Both in .22. I thoroughly enjoyed shooting them both but moved on to the FX line so sold them to get the cash.

Both seemed to me to be well made and solid. Accuracy was never an issue but the FX's I now have are slightly more accurate. The 2 AA's I had, one I bought used in around 2010, so no idea how old it was, the other I bought new (Sporter) as soon as they came out. (± 2014?).

A buddy picked up a Galahad a few years back and it is actually a very nice gun, however it's also heavy with the synthetic stock. It is a definite shooter putting pellets in a tiny group at 50 yards. It also is a .22 using H&N 5.52, 21.14gr pellets.

The issues with the Galahad were bad magazines from the factory, which were swapped out by the vendor (Straight Shooters) and not really a bench rest configuration, although can work okay.

Another buddy has an S510 that is straight from the factory and is scary accurate. Only issue ha has had is the magazine advancer needed replacement.

Hoping that you and yours had a fabulous Holiday and wishing for a Happy New Year! Stay Safe!

mike

I have a S510 extra FAC, .22 caliber. I REALLY like it. Found it in a pawn shop with a beat up stock for $99! It has been a joy. I sent it to air Venturi for an exam since I couldn’t get it to take a charge with a hand pump (from zero pressure) and the magazine wouldn’t index. It was a simple repair and they said it held air after it was charged. I ordered a new stock, they installed it and sent it back. It has been flawless. No leaks, which I can’t say for my other pcps. It wears a Sightron scope and is remarkably accurate with AA 16 gr and the GTO lead free pellets. I only wish it was a little quieter, but I cannot complain about its accuracy. For me, it has been the type of rifle you can pick up 3 months later with the same pressure in it, and drill a bullseye at will.