• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air Arms owners...Target shooters, hunters or plinkers

Thanks Dana. They are beautiful guns, no doubt about that. The more and more I read about them and watch reviews, the more and more I’m getting excited for my wife...I was already pretty stoked! Looking over all the numbers, I kind of wondered about the power and shot count. Since it’s going to be my wife’s gun though, as long as it’s reliable and accurate, we’ll be fine.

Thanks for the input. Happy New Year Bud!

Stoti

I have 12 fpe s510. 177 walnut carbine on the way.

Once had s400 12 fpe. 177 which i sold. 

It impressed me with its around 70 shoots if i remember correctly and spread was under 10 fps and that is unregulated rifle.

That is why i wen't with s510 and i like the look of walnut carbine alot.

...that is the one I would pick...I messed up a deal on a nice one...Odoyle says I dodged a bullet...LoL...

...FWIW I would not consider the CZ S 200 an Air Arms rifle...

...how many would just pick the most expensive rifle...???...

...I really wanted Brother Vinnie to win but I like the choice AA made for the winner...

...methinks she will appreciate and use it more than BV would have...that has to count...

I own an older left-hand S410 Extra, which is the FAC version of the bolt-actioned repeater, in walnut. Let no one tell you that the S series PCPs from Air Arms are less accurate than "those" other PCPs (or springer). They are equipped with match-grade Lothar Walther barrels, and Air Arms has been in the game longer than many of the current brands producing high-end PCPs. It also sponsors many shooting events and builds rifles for pro shooters. (What does this tell you?) Moreover, the S series PCPs (and springers) from Air Arms are used in a lot of field target competitions in the UK for a reason--they are precision machines that will consistently hurl pellets in accordance with their owners' skills. At least with mine, it will repeatedly fire pellets into the same hole the previous one made when I do everything right. It is that good performance-wise. 

If weight is going to be a factor, and I'm thinking it might be, I think the S series rifles would not be a problem. Of course, trying to keep the rifle as light as possible will depend on the scope that you plan to pair with it. Also, you may want to consider the carbine or shorter-barreled version. Because mine is cocked via a bolt instead of the sidelever that is on the current generation, I can't speak to the sidelever's character. But in terms of performance, I don't think your wife will be disappointed.

My S410 is not regulated, but for being so it is very consistent when at its usable pressure range. The way the valving system is designed contributes heavily to its shot-to-shot consistency--and I have opened up mine numerous times to establish this. It seems to me that the valving of the unregulated rifles is designed to act as a "regulated" but not formally regulated system, if you can comprehend that. That said, though, I think the regulated one (XS) is better in that it adds even more consistent shots.

The only weaknesses in the S410/S510 guns are: (1) the small and very thin magazine cycling arm as it is prone to breaking when cycling ill-fitting pellets or when you force-cock the gun when a pellet's skirt is not flush with the magazine's face and (2) the location of the safety button being on the trigger (this can be dangerous for imprudent owners). I think Air Arms has replaced, however, the cycling arm with a more robust one as I see Pyramyd Air (an authorized dealer of Air Arms) now sells it, but this would be a very good question to ask the folks at Air Arms to confirm.

Fit and finish are excellent. In addition to the S410, I own a left-hand TX200 MKIII in walnut, and I can say that the build quality of both is right up there with the best. There are no plastic parts, with the exception of the external parts of the S410's magazine, to cheapen the quality of the rifles. At any rate, I think any Air Arms rifle your wife decides to own will serve her well for a very long time provided she maintains it regularly.

Good luck!

I have a ProTarget and a 410 Extra. I sold an earlier bolt 410 to get the lever action 410. Both are great guns. The regulated ProTarget .177 is very accurate, with a fantastic trigger, and will shoot forever. A bit heavy but for how I use it that's good.

The 410 (.22) is unregulated but i can squeeze 60+ shoots out of a fill. The built in baffles moderate the sound some but is less effective at higher pressure when filled and the lower pressure before a fill required. Works best in the middle range. It is very accurate to 100yds. Haven't really tried it more than that. You won't go wrong with a 510.

pro target is very hard to cock

get the stick-50 and resell it and buy the hft500. Money ahead but that was not the purpose of the contest.
lighter single shot so very safe, accurate and fun or the 510xs for a repeater

I would buy the single shot and ask for nice wood, they are saving money and would give you a stunning piece

jave fun and congratulations 

Get her the HFT500. Great gun. Accurate, dependable, simple (no regulator-doesn't need one) lovely to look at, easy to load, great trigger, no magazines to mess with and a delight 

to shoot. Three years in with mine. Thousands of pellets down the barrel. No problems,ever. This gun will definitely put 'em right where you're aiming. Couldn't be happier with mine. 

If asked if I would recommend one/ buy another, the answer is a definite yes!

Thank you everyone! We really do appreciate all of the insight and information. My wife likes the S510 XS Ultimate Sporter laminate in .22 and that’s probably the air gun she’ll pick. Although the XTI-50 is a beautiful rifle, it’s really not what she wants. If it was me, definitely! I’m a lefty as many of you know, so even if she did chose the XTI-50, I’d never get to shoot it except right handed. As far as getting it because it’s the most expensive, selling it and buying something else...That’s not something we want to do. We want to keep the generous gift and have my wife use it with our family as it was intended. Nothing wrong with doing that, just not what we want to do. As Harry said, it may be excluded anyway. I never saw that in the fine print but totally understand that stipulation, it’s almost double the price of the S510 which is an expensive gun in it’s own right. The S510 XS looks like a great rifle and sounds like it’s a fine shooter too. My wife really likes the laminate stock so it’s a win, win, win!

Thank you all again for your input. It was very helpful and makes my wife’s decision a little easier. When she does make her decision final and gets the air gun, I’ll be sure to share some pictures.

I hope you all have a Happy New Year and a great 2021.

Stoti

Your wife's going to love that rifle--and the stock is even more beautiful in person than in the photos. BTW, keep in mind that the US version comes in two sizes--a carbine size with the Q-Tec suppressor permanently glued on the shroud, and a long gun (with a larger air reservoir) w/o the suppressor. You could always add the suppressor to the long gun. In any case, congratulations!