Air Arms Galahad

"NoMan"The photoshop does look better. The stock looks good and would really look great on a Vulcan.
Agreed. The stock is actually quite nice. Even the shroud makes it more balanced looking but the whole top half of the gun is so awkward looking that doing anything to it seems like putting lipstick on a pig. While beauty is in the eye of the beholder, we can hope they take it back to the drawing board before releasing it so it would appeal to the widest audience.

I guess Ive become used to the fact that bullpups in general are weird looking (my MKII Bobcat included)
As long as i know that the performance is there, my main focus is how it shoulders, does it feel "right"?
If i cant get a comfortable hold, it will affect my shooting, making it a high priority on my list.
Im looking forward to trying it some day, I expect this new bullpup to keep my respect for the quality brand of Air Arms.

The stock looks nice..

It's the end of the action block that I can't get my head around, if it was flat rather than the diamond shape (Galahad/sword influence on the action?) then I think you could just fit a nice fat shroud and it's look smart. Well, if you could cover the Galahad logo that is!

Fair play to Air Arms though, at least they're listening to trends.

The all black version of this air rifle is a lovely looking gun. I wish they would take off the stock so we can get a better idea on the air rifle. I think sales of this gun will depend on the selling price. If this will be offered for more then the Wildcat I don't see it selling. It's estimated retail price in the UK is £1,000 or $1425 US dollars, which is a bit more then the Wildcat and considerably higher then the S410/510 rifle offering.

This is something I read on GTA about Air Arms hearing the peoples voice and making changes to the Galahad.

"Looks like AA listens and responds quickly to the negative critiques of the galahad. They are going to reduce the gap between the barrel and air tube. They are also going to increase the diameter of the shroud. I guess there were complaints about the cocking lever so they are changing that also. They are also adding positive clicks to the power wheel."

"Ginuwine1969"This is something I read on GTA about Air Arms hearing the peoples voice and making changes to the Galahad.

"Looks like AA listens and responds quickly to the negative critiques of the galahad. They are going to reduce the gap between the barrel and air tube. They are also going to increase the diameter of the shroud. I guess there were complaints about the cocking lever so they are changing that also. They are also adding positive clicks to the power wheel."
Way to go AirArms. I wish all companies were like that. 

"FukoChan"
"Tactical"One word. Very ugly looking! If Air Arms keeps this up they will be competing with Huben type of rifles.

This is what they should have gone for

Rapid_AirArms_01.jpg
I have to agree with tactical on this one. It is very displeasing to my eye. He didnt even use one word now that i think about it lol!

Not as ugly as FX bullpups!

"jps2486"There is so much space between the barrel shroud and the tank, they could make the tank larger in diameter for more air capacity. 30 shots isn't much. I get over 120 from my ER tuned Cricket .177 and 50 shots from my un-tuned Cricket .25.

I powered-down my Cricket .22 to shoot 14.3-grain pellets at 525 FPS (8 FPE), and I get 420 shots with an extreme spread of 10 FPS. This is from a 210 BAR to 50 BAR air pressure range. I tuned the regulator, valve spring tension, and used the weak hammer spring which comes with the gun (but complemented it with a 5mm bushing to increase pre-load a bit). 8 FPE is plenty enough for me for backyard shooting up to 35 yards, and I can expend almost an entire tin of pellets on one air fill.

"rockymtbiker"I would concur that the styling is awkward: Overly large barrel/cylinder gap, a breech that looks like it was inspired by the steam-punk movement, an overly-small shroud that seems designed for inefficiency of function. The stock has some lyrical lines. Overall I am almost irritated by how the airgun manufacturers in general ignore the information available from consumers. Ever since the bullpup craze hit the airgun field we've been asking why do these short, handy little guns weigh so much. It's paradoxical; you design a short, maneuverable carbine seemingly intended for field use and then weigh it down with overly bulky wooden stocks or equally massive cheap synthetic stocks. Now we see three additional bullpups enter the fray (Ataman, Hatsan and AA) and the lightest entry weighs 8 lbs. It's almost insulting; we know that company reps visit some of the forums from time to time and yet no one listens (never mind the customers, we're the experts).

Like I said, I'm getting irritated; think I'll grab my 5 lb Ruger 10/22 and go for a walk and cool down. :)
I also prefer lighter air rifles but I wouldn't call it paradoxical when a bullpup weighs the same as a full length rifle. The key point of the bullpup design is that it retains the same full length barrel and air cylinder as it's longer rifle configuration. The only difference is the stock and the addition of a trigger connection. As most of the weight is in the action, barrel and cylinder, there is no reason it should be lighter without a redesign. This is just an S510 in a new dress based on what the description says.

The thing with bullpups is that they are center balanced which makes them feel considerably lighter to shoulder than a rifle of identical weight. It is the front-heavy nature of PCP rifles that makes many of them unsuitable for off-hand shooting. 

That being said, it doesn't feel like many of these companies are making an effort to reduce weight. They are clearly not hunters. We see very little use of modern lightweight composites like fiberglass or carbon fiber which are more suitable for bullpups than wood. Wood requires a lot of bulk to be strong and stable which makes it heavy. Firearms users have had the option to buy carbon fiber wrapped barrelsfor a while now but so far this has eluded the air gun community. A 6.5lb weight target for a bullpup is not unreasonable. 8lb is the limit of what is acceptable for me. 9lb is an abomination. 

I think it was a mistake to recycle the S510. It is materially less powerful than the Cricket, Wildcat, Vulcan and it's hard to get excited about it. I'll probably just ignore it like I do with all the other Air Arms guns. There is too much competition and they are late to the party. 

As for the looks, well that is just taste. I generally like the look of most bullpups. I don't care for this one much but mainly because of the wooden stock. The gap looks like there is a piece missing. It's not terrible though.