Tuning Air Arms Cocking Aid, TX200 & HC : drilling and tapping

• Thread starter Deleted member 49222
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 49222

Existing grub screws are not holding the AA Cocking Aid and just slips and continues to mar up the lever. Upon tightening, almost to the point were those small grub screw/threads or the allen key is going to give. Since the damage is done to the cocking lever, might as well try out drilling and tapping for larger grub screws and perhaps get more bite. Never done this before and I'm certain someone here has with their TX200 or HC with the assist handle with two grub screws. Please post what you used to drill and tap to get a better grub screw size, bit, thread & pitch for the best grab & strength. Also, would help to notch the lever locations were the grub screw contact - file? Looking for a shopping list and lubes used. Thanks...

Assist.jpg

Existing grub screws are not holding the AA Cocking Aid and just slips and continues to mar up the lever. Upon tightening, almost to the point were those small grub screw/threads or the allen key is going to give. Since the damage is done to the cocking lever, might as well try out drilling and tapping for larger grub screws and perhaps get more bite. Never done this before and I'm certain someone here has with their TX200 or HC with the assist handle with two grub screws. Please post what you used to drill and tap to get a better grub screw size, bit, thread & pitch for the best grab & strength. Also, would help to notch the lever locations were the grub screw contact - file? Looking for a shopping list and lubes used. Thanks...

View attachment 359889
As suggested, glue might be a good option.
For mine (I have two), I squashed and cut a 0.177 pellet and dropped it into the grub screw hole. Then I tightened the grub screw against the cut up lead pellet. Hasn't moved on me yet. And I shoot my TX almost everyday.

A better option would be to get those nylon screw and just shave off the tip and drop it into the grub screw hole.
1685237761778.png

Then tighten your grub screw against the nylon screw. At this point, I would get new grub screws and new Allen wrenches (as these may have been rounded off).

Or combine both. Use the nylon screw + gorilla glue.

Reactions: r1lover
What is that stuff that Air Arms uses to epoxy the barrel shroud etc, is that just version of red loctite or gorilla glue? Goal is to make this permanent ... don't have a welder :giggle:. Great ideas AN...would it be a good to do a fine grit sanding inside the aid and the area it covers on the lever, denatured alcohol, and then epoxy/set the grubs as recommended?

Yes, I have 2 very nice ones. 3ft and 4 ft bed.
The 3ft (shown) is minty with a rare hardened bed. You can tell at a glance because there is no flaking on a hardened bed.
Nice looking machine. I have one with a 36" bed, according to the tag it was sold on contract to the government, from the numbers on the bed I think it's a mid-late 60's machine. I changed out the lantern tool post to a quick change and love it. My only complaint is that the through hole is small, handy little machine though.

Mine is starting too move some and before it gets to far along, I am going to fix it. I am going to locate the exact spots the grub screws hit the lever and use a small sharp drill to create a hollow for the grub screw to grad into. Seems simple enough and I hope it does the trick. Not worried about the look of two dents, as I am pretty sure if it keeps moving, it will do a lot more damage to a greater area.

Tim