• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air Archery,...my set up.

I think Air Archery is awesome for hunting big game but I also prefer a gun that can shoot an arrow and right after that a bullet, I'm not a fan of dedicated arrow guns.

At the moment I have 3 REX .357s, two Mini-Carbines and one standard barrel length, I realized months ago that this type platform is awesome for shooting arrows because power increases dramatically with the projectile weight increase,

For example the full length barrel would shoot a 389gr arrow at 505 fps which is a whopping velocity to shoot an arrow, the Mini-Carbine shoots a 349gr arrow at 490 fps,...again smoking !!!! :)

As of now I did cut all the bolts and just use the Mini-Carbines for hunting because they are so small and light and plenty power to take down any big game in North America with power to spare.

My dedicated Air Archery REX also Is set up to shoot a 200gr bullet so as I said before I can shoot an arrow and in seconds ( my bullets holders are set up on the airtubes ) I can have a bullet in the chamber for a quick follow up if needed.

DSCF3004.1638828080.JPG
DSCF3005.1638828116.JPG
DSCF3006.1638828140.JPG

Yeah I've been waiting for them to came back in stock too,......this set I bought when they first came out.

They sell the nocks so you can also build your own by buying 6.5mm stiff spined carbon arrows, some sticky velcro and figure out a way to make the front guides, ( can make them out of rubber, plastic blunts ) 

If Airbolts don't come back in stock I will go to 3Rivers and get the supply to make my own.

My first foray into arrows has been with my Sam Yang .45 Light Hunter. Only practiced a bit on the range, ut learned a bit and surprised with the accuracy and flat trajectory. I was told that I should use low power and that works, but it seems much more accurate and effective on high power. Maybe low power is better for the Dragon Claw .50 but the Light Hunter shoots a 2" group at 50 yards with very little trajectory adjustment for short range (maybe 3" to 4") Seems as if the leftover silicone oil in the barrel from bullets helps as well.

Below are pics of the difference between low and high power at 50 yards. My expensive target is useless as I can't extract the bolts out of it. Need to find something else. Note the penetration; the one with the fletching is low and shown from the front, the other with the tip is shown from the back. Pass through the target at 50 yards. 
909onlowpower.1639407518.jpg

909onhighpower.1639407594.jpg

I used to have a Dragon Claw .50 and at half power I was getting a flat string of 6 shots @ 380 fps I though that was excellent all around,....Killed a big Boar with it.

And yeah you need to rethink your backstop with Air Archery

I use a foam board as first layer then a good 10" of packed old clothing in a backpack and a 3/4" ply in the back, all tied in tight.

Finally I use blunts instead of field points so if I hit the Ply they just stop and don't get stuck.