Aims Alpha 6 4.5-27X50

For those that have had experience with the Aims Alpha 6 4.5-27X50, could you chime in on your thoughts about it?

I ordered one and look forward to seeing what its capable of

Thanks

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 7.36.47 AM.1636817817.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 7.37.17 AM.1636817847.jpg

Very good glass, really raised the bar when it comes to glass quality. Turrets are for zeroing only, SFP so need to keep in mind the reticle isn’t accurate unless it’s on 10x. Nice and clean reticle though.

reticle isn’t accurate unless it’s on 10x ?

Only on 10x not on any other power? 4.5-27

Sorry for the stupid question

Very good glass, really raised the bar when it comes to glass quality. Turrets are for zeroing only, SFP so need to keep in mind the reticle isn’t accurate unless it’s on 10x. Nice and clean reticle though.

It's the difference between SFP (second focal plane) and FFP (first focal plane) reticles, and it only applies to scopes that zoom.

Most likely you've used a scope that zooms, or alters magnification like a 3-9x etc. Also most likely, the reticle was a plane + with little info and it did not change it's size when you zoomed from 3-9. That's SFP. The image in the scope increases in magnification as you zoom, but the reticle does not. When the reticle is a simple cross, it has no real downside for SFP. But the reticle in this Aimsport has all the little marks for calculating holdover. They represent change in impact at specif distances based on MOA (or MRAD depending) Since it's SFP those little marks and the reticle as a whole do not get bigger when you zoom. This means those little marks can not accurately represent holdover distances as the zoom changes. since the marks don't magnify with the view. They can only accurately represent correct holdover distances at ONE specific magnification. In this case, at 10X.

https://outdoorsmans.com/blogs/rifle-scopes/riflescopes-first-focal-plane-vs-second-focal-plane

P.S. I thought the Alpha I had were great for the price.

Got 2 Alpha 6. Like them a lot. Agree with post from Wethy above, A6 scopes work better imo with a big wheel, since the adjustment is kind of stiff. Other than that great sfp inexpensive scope with good glass, solid heavy build.

Do some research on sfp and ffp to see the holdover differences.

IMO the A6 holdover is very accurate, just have to do the math for the power/distance you're using to get the correct SFP holdover. Like all SFP scopes.

Maybe at 20 power, 60 yards, might be a 3 holdover vs 1.5 holdover at 10 power..? Or do your own cheat sheet for different distances and powers. Once you have it figured out, the holdovers are very accurate, just not nearly as quick to use as consistently the same FFP holdovers...

jmo

I'm old school and find the SFP fine and normally less expensive, I'm a bit of a glass snob and hope I find it usable and try tio set it and forget it to get the optimum use out of it without killing the turret as some have found it less forgiving and better to set it and hold over for years of use is the jest of the message. 

I paid $229, so lets see what I think :)

Prices have ranged from $165-400 from what I've seen and I believed branded for some other venders?

Thanks

I'm old school and find the SFP fine and normally less expensive, I'm a bit of a glass snob and hope I find it usable and try tio set it and forget it to get the optimum use out of it without killing the turret as some have found it less forgiving and better to set it and hold over for years of use is the jest of the message. 

I paid $229, so lets see what I think :)

Prices have ranged from $165-400 from what I've seen and I believed branded for some other venders?

Thanks

If you are use to SFP then you are good. IMHO there isn't better glass in the 200 or even 400 dollar range unless you scored a japanese closeout Barra or Crimson Trace scope. Some of the new chinese scopes in the 500 dollar ranges like the vortex Venom seem to be in the similar glass quality as the Alpha 6 now and days, it is still top of the heap when it comes to chinese scope glass quality! 

No better glass without going to Japan made for a LOT more money. They are well built and really hold POI well. Like all the tacticool scopes they are not designed for airguns so they are really heavy and worse thing is reiticles are too thin and usually WAY too busy. This retical is one of the least busy but the crosshairs are really thin and the floating dot center is challenging to see against many backgrounds including paper targets. The reticle is not bad at all from 50 yards and in. The further out you get the harder the crosshairs and dot are to deal with being SFP. All these tactical reticles are designed to shoot 8 inch steel plates at 600 yards.

You can always pay double or triple the price for brand recognition, better clickers/knobs but get worse glass and a busier reticle. I shoot a lot of target and these are not suited to hunting so I don't change AO that much to need a big wheel. The scope is big enough as it is.

It's the difference between SFP (second focal plane) and FFP (first focal plane) reticles, and it only applies to scopes that zoom.

Most likely you've used a scope that zooms, or alters magnification like a 3-9x etc. Also most likely, the reticle was a plane + with little info and it did not change it's size when you zoomed from 3-9. That's SFP. The image in the scope increases in magnification as you zoom, but the reticle does not. When the reticle is a simple cross, it has no real downside for SFP. But the reticle in this Aimsport has all the little marks for calculating holdover. They represent change in impact at specif distances based on MOA (or MRAD depending) Since it's SFP those little marks and the reticle as a whole do not get bigger when you zoom. This means those little marks can not accurately represent holdover distances as the zoom changes. since the marks don't magnify with the view. They can only accurately represent correct holdover distances at ONE specific magnification. In this case, at 10X.

https://outdoorsmans.com/blogs/rifle-scopes/riflescopes-first-focal-plane-vs-second-focal-plane

P.S. I thought the Alpha I had were great for the price.

For an SFP scope...

In above case, 10X would be the ranging magnification, where one can reasonably calculate the size of a target at known range, or determine the range to target when target is of known size, like a human torso, or the 4x4 under that resettable target out there.

If your Strelok calls for a 2 MIL hold at 10X, then that would be a 1 MIL hold at 5X, half MIL at 2.5X. For the same call but you really need the zoom set to 16X, multiply that 2 MIL hold by 1.6, at 12X multiply by 1.2.

edit: I know that a 4x4 is actually 3-1/2x3-1/2, which makes it a great MIL ranging target. The tiny subtensions around the crosshair are good for ranging small fractions of MIL.

I got one of these for an FX Crown when Yo!/O’Doyle was hyping them. It is a very nice scope for $200 though and I do like the quality of the glass a lot. However, as folks have said, that focus knob is STIFF! where can I get a nice wheel to help with the adjustment? Rather it not be a real large one if possible.

Get a hold of Elis5173, nice wheels that smooth out the focus nicely for $20. hope this helps

IMG_3084.1637818415.jpeg

C.1637817823.jpg

20211113_121210.1636823558.1637818494.jpg