AGT Vulcan 3 or FX Maverick Compact

Trying to decide on my first higher end pcp air gun. Most of my shooting is 30 yards out in my back yard with pellets and some slugs, I am also looking at taking to the range to stretch it out further. I do some pesting in my back yard also. I have been looking at the Vulcan 3 in .25 cal. w/ 500mm barrel and the FX Maverick Compact in .25 cal. The reason I am looking at bullpups is I like there compact size. From doing some searches here on the forms I see a lot of people having problems with the Mavericks and that might be because it is a more popular gun and have more in circulation than the Vulcan. One aspect I do like about the Maverick is there is a lot of adjustments that can be made without taking it apart. Also seems like there are a lot of mods that can be done to the Maverick. I am fairly new to pcp's also so the Maverick may be a little to much for a newbie. Any thoughts on which one would be a better choice for a newer shooter?

Thanks,
John

Reactions: Jlowe
I know that AGT airguns are notoriously reliable. I have a vulcan 1 gen 3 in .25. I have no issues shooting it out to 130 yards pesting. Have not taken it beyond that but im sure it has some range still in it. Have had the airgun for years and have never has a single issue with it. No leaks, no poi shift, not even when it gets bumped around. In fact the only time I re-zero it is when I change up to a different pellet. I cannot speak for the Maverick, though I have handled a few FX airguns. No thanks. I know their good shooters an all but the design just screams handle with care. Im sure others will chime in. Good luck with whatever you go with.

If you’re pushing slugs, keep in mind the V3 has a larger diameter barrel than other manufacturers, so special sized slugs are needed. While this isn’t necessarily a problem, it does limit the number of slugs you’re able to try.
The maverick is also much lighter if that’s something that bothers you, but is definitely more complex with its dual regs, tuneability, and liner systems.
Both are compact and accurate. It all depends what you want. A point and shoot, or a tinkerer gun that you can change to anything you desire without having to buy another new gun!

Having owned around 12 different FX guns, I have always had really good results with them in the last 20 years. The FX Maverick Compact in 25cal is 60+ foot pounds easy. The first Maverick I bought was a 22cal compact and I had it to 55 foot pounds with no problem. have the Sniper in .25cal and can do 85 foot pounds at 170/145 on the regs. I have thought about the Vulcan several times, but I would really like to get a laminate stock on my next airgun or at least get one with a stock that can be hydro dipped like the Wildcat BT version. Switching barrels and tanks is very easy and modifications are easy if you know airguns.

Have both , the Vulcan 3 with the unchoked barrel will be tough to beat because it’s rock solid and that switched plenum equals power at longer ranges. The maverick is a stock 42 FPE gun and is real nice. But for both pellets and slugs- from AVS because of barrel diameter. The Vulcan 3 wins out.
On your Vulcan 3, is it back yard friendly without a moderator? I know it is threaded but not 1/2-20 and my DonnyFL is so I would need to purchase a new one if I go that route.

+1 for Vulcan 3. Mine ( .177 500mm) is quiet and dead on every time I pick it up, no warm up shot required. Owned and sold 3 impacts, miss them on occasion but not enough to trade.

1666834424911.png

Woodwreck,
Vulcan 3 would get my vote, if they came in Synthetic, I'd have a .30 (700mm) right now. My Uragan .25 is a sturdy, accurate shooter with excellent ergonomics. Currently waiting for Krales, in the Netherlands, to get the new Uragan 2 in stock, the Synthetic .30 (700mm) has my name all over it. Suggest looking at some reviews of the Uragan 2 on YouTube. WM

+1 for Vulcan 3. Mine ( .177 500mm) is quiet and dead on every time I pick it up, no warm up shot required. Owned and sold 3 impacts, miss them on occasion but not enough to trade.

View attachment 300427
I own the same Vulcan 3..... With the 12 grain NSA slugs is accurate, indeed accurate at very long distance 150 yards.

My Vulcan 2 in .25 Cal is unbeatable accurate by any other of my rifles (Daystate and FX and others). It shots pellets and slugs as a champ.

AGT are the very best buy on the market taking all aspects into consideration.

I would already have bought a Uragan 2 in .25 Cal if AoA would sell them. It would be right now in my house.

Reactions: gendoc and L.Leon
On your Vulcan 3, is it back yard friendly without a moderator? I know it is threaded but not 1/2-20 and my DonnyFL is so I would need to purchase a new one if I go that route.
It’s not bad, but I’d say no. Same as maverick, mod. Needed the threading is , I believe 14x 1.25. Donny has endcaps you can get without entire mod.

Just know this. I would not spend top dollar on any airgun that did not have an externally adjustable regulator. I made this mistake when I bought the Kalibr Argus, and quickly returned it after an attempt at a small tweak turned into a week of constant assembly/disassembly trying to get the settings correct. That led me to the Maverick VP and I haven't looked back.

I know many shooters don't want to have to tweak their airguns, so then don't tweak it! I pulled it out of the box shooting JSB Exacts at 850 pellet on pellet for as long as I had pellets. Then I tweaked the regs up and now get the Exacts/Hades and Hybrid Slugs at 930fps.

Also, having the adjustable hammer spring power wheel is a big plus.

Reactions: Jlowe
Trying to decide on my first higher end pcp air gun. Most of my shooting is 30 yards out in my back yard with pellets and some slugs, I am also looking at taking to the range to stretch it out further. I do some pesting in my back yard also. I have been looking at the Vulcan 3 in .25 cal. w/ 500mm barrel and the FX Maverick Compact in .25 cal. The reason I am looking at bullpups is I like there compact size. From doing some searches here on the forms I see a lot of people having problems with the Mavericks and that might be because it is a more popular gun and have more in circulation than the Vulcan. One aspect I do like about the Maverick is there is a lot of adjustments that can be made without taking it apart. Also seems like there are a lot of mods that can be done to the Maverick. I am fairly new to pcp's also so the Maverick may be a little to much for a newbie. Any thoughts on which one would be a better choice for a newer shooter?

Thanks,
John
Nether get the FX Crown with the mag and action in front of your face like a real gun over blasting your ears and face

Reactions: darylm and gendoc
I have 4 impacts and a Royale and love them but for what u described I’d buy the V3. I have 3 Uragans and a V3 and think they are near perfect out of the box.

AGT guns arrive perfectly tuned for jsb pellets and will shoot slugs with the same tune with astonishing accuracy.

The 500 mm barrel is a cz choked barrel which I believe is their best all around barrel. The 700 mm V3 is the Alfa precision which limits you more to oversized slugs. Still accurate but not as versatile.

For plinking… u may wantvto consider the .22. It gets 200 plus shots and is incredibly accurate with H& N 21 grain .217 slugs out to 200 yards

Thanks,
John
John ,I have never had a V3 nor touched one, but have had a Maverick in both sniper and compact as well as a Wildcat MKIII (in both), which is closer to the V3 I would think.
The fact you are comparing the V3 and Maverick as your current choices... I would say your first choice was the V3 ;) Just say 'in, and a good call.

Patrick