• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AGT VULCAN 3 at 100 yards

I have seen several AGT Vulcan 3's for sale in the Classifieds and I can't help but wonder if folks are unhappy with them?

The two main problems are the barrel being oversize for standard slugs and the large plenum volume directly in front of the valve causes ping. You lose power and accuracy with flat base slugs because a good bit of air passes the slug inside the barrel. The long V3 is marketed as a "dedicated slug gun" because they are chokeless but the groove diameter is so oversize that only a pellet skirt can seal it. The manufacturer gives zero Fs and tells you to talk to the person you bought it from if you have any questions or concerns.

I like my .30 cal and it's really well built so I'll rebarrel it, modify the valve and a couple other parts for more power then put a depinger in the plenum. The platform has lots of potential if you're willing to work on it. I'm sure some people love theirs as is so great for them but I expect more.

That's disappointing to learn. Accuracy, build quality and not having to tune out of the box are qualities that draw me to AGT. I really have enjoyed my Uragan Compact. At some point in the future I would like to have a long range rifle, thought the Vulcan 3 long might be it. Appreciate the information and hope you get yours to where it should be without too much work or additional expense.

I enjoyed mine and was one of the most accurate PCPs I've owned. Shot really well. Ping was definitely a thing but not horrible. Mainly for me the walnut stock was too nice for me to want to shoot it on the farm. Also no lightweight. I was used to a very compact and lighter weight gun (Taipan Veteran Shorty) for a long time and went to that after and realized not for me. Fantastic shooter though just stupid accurate.

I understand the wooden stock issue in your environment, I would prefer a wooden stock for a bench gun but not in the field. Just seemed to me there have been a lot of folks unloading their new V3's.

I'd like to add that the V3 is capable of big power in .22 and .25 but the valve and porting are too small for .30 to do the same. The design will stop most people from modifying it because the wall between the transfer port and valve seat is thin.
What? Are you for real? Do have any idea what is going on inside the .30 cal Vulcan 3? That is by far the caliber with the highest potential of power for it's caliber. My Vulcan 3 is currently shooting at 135-140 fpe. Is that not potential for power ? Id say no that is power. Where did you get the notion that the .30 cal 700mmdid not have the potential for power as you said about the others? You honestly couldn't be more mistaken. I know of one pushing over 150 closer to 160 fpe, mines at 140 for and without even trying you can easily achieve 110 fpe no mods not even moving the reg. That being said my buddy in fact did modify his transfer port. And it's running smooth and like a freight train. I'm not on here to cut you up but where did you get this info because it couldn't be more misleading to those who are looking for information on the V3. The valve And the porting are actually strong enough to power up to around 145 fpe without enlarging anything. So really curious as to your basis for these bold and opinionated notions? Ill attach a chronograph string with AVS .3063 SLUGS 62.5 GRAINS AT AROUND 990 ISH. With plenty of room to increase still.havent even BEGUN to dabble in mods to increase the air flow of this monster. Honestly it's not necessary. So please id love to engage in a conversation about the Vulcan and your dislikes of it at least in .30 and I'd like to share my results after about maybe 5 mos with it.

• Wow
Reactions: Jimrogers
I'm talking about the valve size, valve housing area and the short hammer spring of this particular gun. with that said zx10wall has made good power with his at fairly high pressure with a modification. I just like to keep them around 150 bar. I have a new TJ's barrel ready to fit and make mine an actual .30 instead of a .3064 I don't care to buy slugs at 3x the cost of NSA.
We all have our opinions.

I'm talking about the valve size, valve housing area and the short hammer spring of this particular gun. with that said zx10wall has made good power with his at fairly high pressure with a modification. I just like to keep them around 150 bar. I have a new TJ's barrel ready to fit and make mine an actual .30 instead of a .3064 I don't care to buy slugs at 3x the cost of NSA.
We all have our opinions.
We certainly do all have our opinion I'm just confused as to your claim (and yes I read what you wrote so I am aware of what you were referring to. Attempting to prove a point that the transfer port is in fact allowing plenty of air flow along with the valve. I in fact don't find it necessary
To modify either to gain what i consider substantial power gains. To get an impact doing 140fpe what aftermarket parts were installed what was modified and how much did it cost? The vulcan 3 is stock besides an extra half gram on the hammer weight no porting valving or any type of significant modification to the rifles configuration. There is in fact a heavier spring floating around for them and it will be here by the weekend for me to take a look at. The true issue at heart is people have learned the .30 cal is in fact a .306.it shoots most .300 cal ammo just fine. But , to get the maximum potential of any rifle it starts with using the correct ammunition. I understand it's not the cheapest around but not is it the most expensive. And for the weight of slug you at able to go up to and still receive the same number as the lighter slugs sold by him. Upon using this correct sized .3063 ammunition I noticed something that had already struck m as true. People who are using.300 cal slugs are allowing the released air to flow past the projectile because it is most certainly in fact too sma for the bore. But that's the nature of the beast called the vulcan. You wouldn't put .303 ammunition in a .308 bore and expect superb results correct? I know I wouldn't.so why people expect when are fully aware of the bore size, for a smaller than necessary diameter projectile to perform at exceptionally superb standards. Now let's talk about what happens when. You do shoot the correct ammunition, without changing a thing with the time of the rifle I put in a nearly 10 grain heavier slug sized at .3063 and what happened did not surprise me at all but confirmed a hypothesis I had prior to even realizing Stephen made .3063s. I gained a significant amount of velocity when shooting the AVS SLUGS over the chronograph with a jump in bc and fpe. The conclusion is simple.when shooting the correct ammunition the rifle is able to get even surface contact with the complete rifling profile thus keeping it centered and even in the bore as opposed to the
300s which after passing through the bore had a decent rifling pattern but it certainly was obvious how uneven the contract was. Also the .3063s fill the grooves in the rifling effectively this containing all the compressed air behind the base where it belongs to prop the slug forward with maximum power and efficiency. I don't get peoples qualms pcps have choked barres as a standard thus shrinking your bore to anywhere from .216 in .22 cal to .22

We certainly do all have our opinion I'm just confused as to your claim (and yes I read what you wrote so I am aware of what you were referring to. Attempting to prove a point that the transfer port is in fact allowing plenty of air flow along with the valve. I in fact don't find it necessary
To modify either to gain what i consider substantial power gains. To get an impact doing 140fpe what aftermarket parts were installed what was modified and how much did it cost? The vulcan 3 is stock besides an extra half gram on the hammer weight no porting valving or any type of significant modification to the rifles configuration. There is in fact a heavier spring floating around for them and it will be here by the weekend for me to take a look at. The true issue at heart is people have learned the .30 cal is in fact a .306.it shoots most .300 cal ammo just fine. But , to get the maximum potential of any rifle it starts with using the correct ammunition. I understand it's not the cheapest around but not is it the most expensive. And for the weight of slug you at able to go up to and still receive the same number as the lighter slugs sold by him. Upon using this correct sized .3063 ammunition I noticed something that had already struck m as true. People who are using.300 cal slugs are allowing the released air to flow past the projectile because it is most certainly in fact too sma for the bore. But that's the nature of the beast called the vulcan. You wouldn't put .303 ammunition in a .308 bore and expect superb results correct? I know I wouldn't.so why people expect when are fully aware of the bore size, for a smaller than necessary diameter projectile to perform at exceptionally superb standards. Now let's talk about what happens when. You do shoot the correct ammunition, without changing a thing with the time of the rifle I put in a nearly 10 grain heavier slug sized at .3063 and what happened did not surprise me at all but confirmed a hypothesis I had prior to even realizing Stephen made .3063s. I gained a significant amount of velocity when shooting the AVS SLUGS over the chronograph with a jump in bc and fpe. The conclusion is simple.when shooting the correct ammunition the rifle is able to get even surface contact with the complete rifling profile thus keeping it centered and even in the bore as opposed to the
300s which after passing through the bore had a decent rifling pattern but it certainly was obvious how uneven the contract was. Also the .3063s fill the grooves in the rifling effectively this containing all the compressed air behind the base where it belongs to prop the slug forward with maximum power and efficiency. I don't get peoples qualms pcps have choked barres as a standard thus shrinking your bore to anywhere from .216 in .22 cal to .22 or larger depending on barrel and choke.thoae guys spend more money on undersized slugs to match their bore correctly or they would be blowing a golf ball down a garden hose.i fail to see the difference nor understand why people are so upset, larger diameter usually mean heavier slugs which I personally am aiming at around 75 grains at 950-970 fps. So if choked barrels are undersized wouldn't logic explain that unchoked is the opposite in being a bit oversized? Also . The rifle shoots .300 cal Zan's exceptionally well.not a single issue when shooting them. So that's my rant I don't understand why people are so perplexed about undersized ammo not doing too hot in any. Bore.not just applicable to the Vulcan 3.

Airgun Technology pulled a bait and switch on the barrels so I purchased a gun that is not as advertised and does not do the job I intended it to do. If you're happy with yours that's just fine but don't go all Karen on me for my different opinion. I have a mill, a lathe and a whole lot of experience in making what I want, so I'll do my thing, you do yours and we'll both have fun. No need to waste our time arguing about it. Don't forget to smile once in a while.

Last edited:
The two main problems are the barrel being oversize for standard slugs and the large plenum volume directly in front of the valve causes ping. You lose power and accuracy with flat base slugs because a good bit of air passes the slug inside the barrel. The long V3 is marketed as a "dedicated slug gun" because they are chokeless but the groove diameter is so oversize that only a pellet skirt can seal it. The manufacturer gives zero Fs and tells you to talk to the person you bought it from if you have any questions or concerns.

I like my .30 cal and it's really well built so I'll rebarrel it, modify the valve and a couple other parts for more power then put a depinger in the plenum. The platform has lots of potential if you're willing to work on it. I'm sure some people love theirs as is so great for them but I expect more.
Greetings @heavy-impact, what do you thing would bring the de to the ping on my .177? Love the gun, subtracting the ping would take it up a notch. Thanks for whatever you can recommend.

1663032600864.png

Reactions: DR PROFET 3
Greetings @heavy-impact, what do you thing would bring the de to the ping on my .177? Love the gun, subtracting the ping would take it up a notch. Thanks for whatever you can recommend.
I didn't know the short version had a ping problem. The long version pings due to the large open plenum in front of the valve.

Meanwhile. Back at the ranch....It's been going on now about 6 months since my Vulcan 3 arrived, so I figured an update was due....this was not a cherry picked group, actually it wasn't even the best group. JSB .22 18GR at 100 yds, full magazine. Light wind 1-3 mph left to right. The more I shoot it, the better it gets. AGT Vulcan 3 is staying in this ranch stable. Nice guns.
20220913_091022.jpg
20220913_090959.jpg

Meanwhile. Back at the ranch....It's been going on now about 6 months since my Vulcan 3 arrived, so I figured an update was due....this was not a cherry picked group, actually it wasn't even the best group. JSB .22 18GR at 100 yds, full magazine. Light wind 1-3 mph left to right. The more I shoot it, the better it gets. AGT Vulcan 3 is staying in this ranch stable. Nice guns.View attachment 289607View attachment 289609
Nice. Very happy with my 500mm .177 about one tin into it. Zero wind at the range Sunday, several 1" and a few dime sized groups at 50' with unsorted JSB 10.3 at 907 fps. I think it will like the 13.3 better but only had a dozen at the range; it made a nice group with those at 816 fps. Likes the H&N Hunter Extreme better than the Hades.

Reactions: FunGun
Got my V3 yesterday just before dark. Brown Santa got here just in time for me to mount a scope and head to the back porch.

I didn't clean the barrel, shot 3 shots at 55 yds to find POI/POA, made a quick adjustment on turrets and turned to the 100yd target. .22 FX 18gr. Winds 90 degrees right to left 7 to 13mph. Closer to 7mph during this session. Here are the quick results. Only 2 mags thru the gun total so far, 12 shots at 100yds. 9 in the group to the left and 3 in the group on the right. Two groups due to wind dropping off during the 3 shots. Not bad for a .22, straight out of the box!

View attachment 200868View attachment 200883View attachment 200896
Congratulations!!!!

Airgun Technology rifles are the very best buy for the price !!!

Once you know the accuracy of these rifles very few seem to be able to match with them.

Reactions: rangur1 and FunGun
I've done a few things to my .22 V3 700mm. I am at 69 FPE with 34gr slugs at 955 fps. These slugs do fit in the magazine 😄 It has a bit more power to give but I’m really pleased with MOA results to 140 yards which is the furthest distance I’ve currently shot it.

View attachment 201525
How many shots per fill are you getting at this power level?