AGT Vixen VS Brocock Ranger XR or other recommendations

Airgun Technology make top of the market rifles.

I have two Vulcan 2 (25 and 30 Cal) and a Uragan in .22.

I will buy a Vulcan 3 long in 30 Cal.

I also have a Bantam in .177 and a Bantam Sniper in .25 (Is had to change everything, except engraved name, to it to make it work as wanted).

Broccock are not bad rifles, but each Airgun Technology rifle is superb (as Daystate mechanical rifles are).

In my opinion, there, in the top, are Daystate and Airgun Technology, and below them, (many steps in reliability), is FX, and below, other many steps, are "the other good rifles", and looking up aspirationally a lot of cheap rifles.

@texasred, this is typical accuracy for my Bantam Sniper HR .22
E03C7883-6E7E-4C08-A3EA-925F0CD824F7.1635982356.jpeg

Like the OP I too am in the market for a new pcp.

I've been hunting small tree chicken(squirrels) for the last 1.5 years with a Hatsan Vectis. 25,with decent results.

It's heavy,and LOUD even with donnyfl Tatsu. The mags are fidgety,and damage pellets,its long and I'm wanting to take out deer need .30 for that in Florida.

It is my entry to pcp and I've had a chance to find out what I don't like when in them creekbottoms.

I've looked at aea,agt,and kalibrgun. The vixen really caught my eye for weight and compact. The airmaks katran is a beauty chock full of features the uragan as well. Aea I've seen too many videos of how to do this and that to get the gun to work right,plus you don't get the full use of the available air to cycle the semi auto on it.

Bottom line I would LOVE to get some proper feedback on great squirrely rifle. 

Thanks all👍🏿

Reactions: L.Leon
EDIT: Short answer to "What is your favorite squirrelling rifle": 1st place M3 Compact .22, with AGT Uragan Compact .22 coming in a close second.

And if you've got some time to kill reading...

Wow, when I really sit down and think about it I have tried out a BUNCH of different guns for burrowing chickens (ground squirrels) out at our Cowboy range. My use profile - Mostly out to only 50 yards, as that is the distance to the back berm at our range, However we also have some open grazing fields around the range, so occasional shots taken to 70 yards, Nearly all are in .22 cal and I tune them to shoot Hades pellets accurately. I originally was shooting 18.13 domes, but the smack-stop-drop performance of the Hades is just so good that I have switched to them exclusively for squirrels. Most guns will shoot them as accurately as the domed pellets, but not all.

Top 2 current choices: Impact M3 Compact and AGT Uragan Compact. The M3 is my personal gold standard, against which all other candidates are judged. It is currently set to shoot Hades at 855 fps and is very accurate. POI never changes, even if I haven't shot it for a month and just pick it up. Plenty of shots per fill. Surprisingly quiet to me, to the point where I don't need any additional moderation and the gun stays compact. Big magazine is noisy when full of pellets and moving around. Not really light weight, but light and handy enough. Has accounted for most of my kills at the range.

Uragan Compact was a pleasant surprise to me. Bought one used, and right now it is running a very close second to the M3. Haven't had it anywhere near as long, but long enough to know I like it. As received it is shooting Hades at 817 fps and is so accurate that I haven't even bothered trying to get more FPS out of it. Took it out for only a couple of times at the range recently, but due to the drought, time of year (and maybe my previous work) I haven't gotten any squirrel shots with it yet. But I test it out on small stones at the back berm and the accuracy is there 'in the field' for me, plus it handles very well. Came with a big AGT moderator on it, but I also felt that additional moderation was unnecessary so I shoot it in its most compact form. AGT guns are very well made, and never seem 'delicate' in the least in the field to me.

The next tier down, in my hands when squirrel hunting in the field, include the AGT Vixen and Vixen Long, and the Edgun Leshiy Classic. The Vixen Long was my first Vixen, and that gun is just a real joy to shoot for me. Really does double duty of squirrling and plinking well. Such a smooth shot cycle and very accurate. It is tuned to shoot Hades (or 15.89's for plinking) in the 890 fps range. Light weight but feels solid in the hand. Had one issue with my gun where the butt stock plastic cracked. Free replacement part handled easily through AoA, who said this was known to happen when the butt stock was tightened on a cold/partially empty bottle. Then, when filling the bottle expanded and cracked the plastic clamp. Not the best OEM design there, but I can live with it and still enjoy the gun. Length of the Long version doesn't make it cumbersome at all, and handling in the field is light and easy. Plenty quiet without need for additional moderation. Since I've had it longer than some of the other guns, it has the second highest squirrel kill count in my arsenal.

Got a used Vixen Std. when one came up for sale used, since I liked my Long so well. Also very accurate but that shorter barrel only gives me about 781 fps with the Hades. Probably enough for squirrels if you keep the distance on the shorter side (maybe 40 yards and in). To me, the shorter length and potentially improved field handling does not outweigh the lower power as compared to the Vixen Long. Perhaps the Std. would be better as a ratter. Also plenty quiet for me without additional moderation.

Also picked up my Leshiy Classic used. Gun surprised the heck out of me - power, weight, shootability, portability, build quality. This was the gun which originally showed me the stopping power of the Hades pellets as compared to domed pellets. Mine is tuned for power/accuracy/shot count and is shooting the Hades at 822 fps. Since originally getting it I have installed one of the double air cylinder mods, which brings up the shot count without really penalizing in handling, weight or portability. Accurate guns, and built like tanks. Break open single loading is not the best in my mind, but its O.K. I've got one of the aftermarket mods on it, and it is still the loudest of my compact squirrelers, but its not too bad. Just forget about quick follow-up shots on a second burrowing chicken due to the noise and the single loading.

Now we're down to Tier 3 in my comparison to the M3 'Gold Standard' in my hands and experience. These guns include the FX Maverick Compact, Kalibr Cricket II and the AirMaks Katran CompactThe Maverick Compact is a fine gun, and mine is in .25 cal. If you want an FX compact gun in this form factor (i.e., instead of a Wildcat or DreamTact) and can't afford the M3, then the Mav is the way to go. But in its compact format with shorter 500mm barrel, it really doesn't benefit much from one of its 'claims to fame' - the big plenum. But it is light, handy, tunable and accurate. Mine is tuned to shoot 25.4's or Hades in the 830's, but one more click up on the Power Wheel and I'm in the 880's. Nice to have that quick and easy tunability. I'll admit that I don't use my Mav Compact as a hunter much to date. More of a play gun shooting off the bench for me. As such, mine even wears a spare 480cc bottle which I had available, and it is definitely more pleasant to shoot with a DonnyFL on the muzzle.

The Kalibr Cricket II is quite a fine gun in my opinion. I bought one used where the original owner had purchased it from Charlie Frear and had left it alone. As received it was 18.13's perfectly, smoothly and accurately at 860 fps, and I didn't want to touch the tune it was shooting so well. These guns are built very well, have beautiful triggers, and really benefit from the quality of a CZ built barrel. You mention that you feel the magazine to be fiddly with your Vectis, and that is definitely the case with the Crickets when inserting a loaded mag. But it does get better with practice. In the end I personally didn't like the Cricket as well as some of my other guns as a hunter, so when someone wanted it more than I did I sold it. They are great guns, though, especially (in my opinion) when they went to the II version and changed the position of the cocking handle to mid-gun. It might be a better gun for a better shooter then me, who can achieve humane kills while shooting off hand. I can't really do that anymore, but since my squirrelling is at the Cowboy range, I have plenty of benches or props to shoot off of, and/or posts to lean against when shooting. Based on the quality and performance of this gun, I do see having Kalibr guns in my collection in the future, especially ones which are tuned so well by someone like Charlie.

Final gun in this 'saga' is the AirMaks Katran Compact (bottle version). Having previously owned a Katran L, I had really high hopes for this gun. It is my other 'hunter' which is in .25 cal. These guns are accurate, very well built, well thought out, and a real bargain for the money. The current 2nd generation folding stock both locks up tighter than the original version, and now also carries 2 extra magazines. Nice triggers, smooth cocking and light weight. And they fold for easy transportability. But mine, maybe since it is a .25 cal, has quite the bark in its OEM configuration. So it requires additional moderation, and even with a short moderator on the muzzle it loses some of the short handiness in the field. Plus I think it might be a better gun for some if AirMaks didn't go for the 'lightest weight we can make it' philosophy and added a little more rigidity to the butt stock. Plus in the compact configuration (and in .25 cal) the gun struggles to make power - mine shoots the 25.4's or Hades around 770 fps and I can't get much more speed out of this gun. (the Katrans with longer barrels, on the other hand, make great power based on my experience with my Katran L). So it is a nice gun, but in my hands just doesn't compare well to my other guns in higher tiers.

Some of the 'issues' I note with my Katran Compact may not significantly reduced in a .22 cal configuration. If interested in a Katran Compact, Frankly currently has a beautiful .22 listed in the AGN classifieds for a very reasonable asking price. https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/wts-airmaks-katran-compact-bottle-22-loaded-mint/

Hope this gives you some info to chew on for your next ' great squirrely rifle'. And... I hope that there aren't too many typos or weird grammatical mistakes in the above - after typing it all I was too lazy to proof it! ;)

IMG_2324B.1639844356.jpg

IMG_2327B.1639844357.jpg

Thanks for all of the info. Off to do more research. the Brock Commander and Sniper are now in the cards. Way too may choices and the decision is difficult with my limited knowledge.

Good choices. You might also consider the Daystate Revere. I have one in .22 and it is a great rifle. It has a significantly better trigger than these, and is of a more traditional sporter rifle design, which may or may not suit your taste. It is not very owner friendly when it comes to tuning, but it shouldn't need anything. I'll also mention the Weihrauch HW100. It has a superb trigger, rock solid design, easy to tune, very quiet. 

I just got my Prophet Performance Compact here forward to be known as “Glimmer.” The rifle goes beyond my expectations and the quality of the machining is every bit the equal of my former FX Impact MKII compact. One thing I love about the Prophet over the Impact is ease of adjusting the regulator up or down. Maybe they changed that in the gen 3 impact but the simplicity of the design for sure makes it a durable gun. I will head back out into the mountains tomorrow after some air to shoot it. No wheels yet so hard to get out to my permission. This reestablishing self in USA going slower than planned. Hopefully later next week I can go and I need some range time with the prophet before heading to the field. 
2B8F5EE9-489A-4B8A-A318-DD163B331828.1639881236.jpeg

I am relatively new to the PCP game, but am looking to step up my game from the MROD Field and Target for pest control and backyard target shooting. I am interested in opinions or recommendations on the AGT Vixen VS Brocock Ranger XR especially if you have first hand experience with both of these. Criteria are most importantly that it must quite for backyard use so interested in how these compare to the MROD, compact, rails for tripod, minimal adjustment required to shoot, side lever, low maintenance and .22. I have not totally ruled out the bullpup, but it is not my first choice. Do these fit my requirements or is there another option I am missing? I am currently filling with a hand pump and that has not been an issue with the MROD, but do realize that I may need to upgrade for a large high pressure cylinder.
I have the short Vixen. It is loud and there is no way (that I know of) to add a moderator.

EDIT: Short answer to "What is your favorite squirrelling rifle": 1st place M3 Compact .22, with AGT Uragan Compact .22 coming in a close second.

And if you've got some time to kill reading...

Wow, when I really sit down and think about it I have tried out a BUNCH of different guns for burrowing chickens (ground squirrels) out at our Cowboy range. My use profile - Mostly out to only 50 yards, as that is the distance to the back berm at our range, However we also have some open grazing fields around the range, so occasional shots taken to 70 yards, Nearly all are in .22 cal and I tune them to shoot Hades pellets accurately. I originally was shooting 18.13 domes, but the smack-stop-drop performance of the Hades is just so good that I have switched to them exclusively for squirrels. Most guns will shoot them as accurately as the domed pellets, but not all.

Top 2 current choices: Impact M3 Compact and AGT Uragan Compact. The M3 is my personal gold standard, against which all other candidates are judged. It is currently set to shoot Hades at 855 fps and is very accurate. POI never changes, even if I haven't shot it for a month and just pick it up. Plenty of shots per fill. Surprisingly quiet to me, to the point where I don't need any additional moderation and the gun stays compact. Big magazine is noisy when full of pellets and moving around. Not really light weight, but light and handy enough. Has accounted for most of my kills at the range.

Uragan Compact was a pleasant surprise to me. Bought one used, and right now it is running a very close second to the M3. Haven't had it anywhere near as long, but long enough to know I like it. As received it is shooting Hades at 817 fps and is so accurate that I haven't even bothered trying to get more FPS out of it. Took it out for only a couple of times at the range recently, but due to the drought, time of year (and maybe my previous work) I haven't gotten any squirrel shots with it yet. But I test it out on small stones at the back berm and the accuracy is there 'in the field' for me, plus it handles very well. Came with a big AGT moderator on it, but I also felt that additional moderation was unnecessary so I shoot it in its most compact form. AGT guns are very well made, and never seem 'delicate' in the least in the field to me.

The next tier down, in my hands when squirrel hunting in the field, include the AGT Vixen and Vixen Long, and the Edgun Leshiy Classic. The Vixen Long was my first Vixen, and that gun is just a real joy to shoot for me. Really does double duty of squirrling and plinking well. Such a smooth shot cycle and very accurate. It is tuned to shoot Hades (or 15.89's for plinking) in the 890 fps range. Light weight but feels solid in the hand. Had one issue with my gun where the butt stock plastic cracked. Free replacement part handled easily through AoA, who said this was known to happen when the butt stock was tightened on a cold/partially empty bottle. Then, when filling the bottle expanded and cracked the plastic clamp. Not the best OEM design there, but I can live with it and still enjoy the gun. Length of the Long version doesn't make it cumbersome at all, and handling in the field is light and easy. Plenty quiet without need for additional moderation. Since I've had it longer than some of the other guns, it has the second highest squirrel kill count in my arsenal.

Got a used Vixen Std. when one came up for sale used, since I liked my Long so well. Also very accurate but that shorter barrel only gives me about 781 fps with the Hades. Probably enough for squirrels if you keep the distance on the shorter side (maybe 40 yards and in). To me, the shorter length and potentially improved field handling does not outweigh the lower power as compared to the Vixen Long. Perhaps the Std. would be better as a ratter. Also plenty quiet for me without additional moderation.

Also picked up my Leshiy Classic used. Gun surprised the heck out of me - power, weight, shootability, portability, build quality. This was the gun which originally showed me the stopping power of the Hades pellets as compared to domed pellets. Mine is tuned for power/accuracy/shot count and is shooting the Hades at 822 fps. Since originally getting it I have installed one of the double air cylinder mods, which brings up the shot count without really penalizing in handling, weight or portability. Accurate guns, and built like tanks. Break open single loading is not the best in my mind, but its O.K. I've got one of the aftermarket mods on it, and it is still the loudest of my compact squirrelers, but its not too bad. Just forget about quick follow-up shots on a second burrowing chicken due to the noise and the single loading.

Now we're down to Tier 3 in my comparison to the M3 'Gold Standard' in my hands and experience. These guns include the FX Maverick Compact, Kalibr Cricket II and the AirMaks Katran CompactThe Maverick Compact is a fine gun, and mine is in .25 cal. If you want an FX compact gun in this form factor (i.e., instead of a Wildcat or DreamTact) and can't afford the M3, then the Mav is the way to go. But in its compact format with shorter 500mm barrel, it really doesn't benefit much from one of its 'claims to fame' - the big plenum. But it is light, handy, tunable and accurate. Mine is tuned to shoot 25.4's or Hades in the 830's, but one more click up on the Power Wheel and I'm in the 880's. Nice to have that quick and easy tunability. I'll admit that I don't use my Mav Compact as a hunter much to date. More of a play gun shooting off the bench for me. As such, mine even wears a spare 480cc bottle which I had available, and it is definitely more pleasant to shoot with a DonnyFL on the muzzle.

The Kalibr Cricket II is quite a fine gun in my opinion. I bought one used where the original owner had purchased it from Charlie Frear and had left it alone. As received it was 18.13's perfectly, smoothly and accurately at 860 fps, and I didn't want to touch the tune it was shooting so well. These guns are built very well, have beautiful triggers, and really benefit from the quality of a CZ built barrel. You mention that you feel the magazine to be fiddly with your Vectis, and that is definitely the case with the Crickets when inserting a loaded mag. But it does get better with practice. In the end I personally didn't like the Cricket as well as some of my other guns as a hunter, so when someone wanted it more than I did I sold it. They are great guns, though, especially (in my opinion) when they went to the II version and changed the position of the cocking handle to mid-gun. It might be a better gun for a better shooter then me, who can achieve humane kills while shooting off hand. I can't really do that anymore, but since my squirrelling is at the Cowboy range, I have plenty of benches or props to shoot off of, and/or posts to lean against when shooting. Based on the quality and performance of this gun, I do see having Kalibr guns in my collection in the future, especially ones which are tuned so well by someone like Charlie.

Viimeinen ase tässä "saagassa" on AirMaks Katran Compact (pulloversio). Koska minulla oli aiemmin Katran L, minulla oli todella suuria toiveita tämän aseen suhteen. Se on toinen "metsästäjäni", joka on 0,25 cal. Nämä aseet ovat tarkkoja, erittäin hyvin rakennettuja, hyvin harkittuja ja todella edullisia rahalle. Nykyinen 2. sukupolven kokoontaittuva varasto sekä lukittuu tiukemmin kuin alkuperäinen versio ja sisältää nyt myös 2 ylimääräistä lippaa. Hienot liipaisimet, pehmeä viritys ja kevyt paino. Ja ne taittuvat helposti kuljetettaviksi. Mutta minun, ehkä koska se on 0,25 cal, on melko haukkua OEM-kokoonpanossaan. Joten se vaatii lisämalttia, ja jopa lyhyellä moderaattorilla kuonossa se menettää osan lyhyestä kätevyydestä kentällä. Lisäksi uskon, että se voisi olla parempi ase joillekin, jos AirMaks ei menisi kevyin paino, jonka voimme tehdä sen filosofiaksi ja lisäsi hieman jäykkyyttä peppuun. Lisäksi kompaktissa kokoonpanossa (ja 0,25 cal) aseella on vaikeuksia saada tehoa - kaivos ampuu 25,4:n tai Hadesin noin 770 fps, enkä saa paljon enemmän nopeutta irti tästä aseesta. (toisaalta pidemmillä tynnyreillä varustetut Katransit tekevät suuria tehoja kokemukseni perusteella Katran L:stäni). Joten se on mukava ase, mutta käsissäni ei vain verrata muihin korkeamman tason aseisiini. tehdä suurta tehoa kokemukseni perusteella Katran L). Joten se on mukava ase, mutta käsissäni ei vain verrata muihin korkeamman tason aseisiini. tehdä suurta tehoa kokemukseni perusteella Katran L). Joten se on mukava ase, mutta käsissäni ei vain verrata muihin korkeamman tason aseisiini.

Jotkut Katran Compact -laitteeni "ongelmista" eivät ehkä pienene merkittävästi 0,22 cal -kokoonpanossa. Jos olet kiinnostunut Katran Compactista, Franklyllä on tällä hetkellä kaunis .22 AGN-ilmoituksissa erittäin kohtuulliseen hintapyyntöön. https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/wts-airmaks-katran-compact-bottle-22-loaded-mint/

Toivottavasti tämä antaa sinulle tietoja, joita voit pureskella seuraavaa "mahtavaa squirrely-kivääriäsi varten". Ja... Toivon, ettei yllä olevissa ole liikaa kirjoitus- tai outoja kielioppivirheitä - kaiken kirjoittamisen jälkeen olin liian laiska todistamaan sitä!;)

View attachment 179706

View attachment 179711
I have an FX Maverick VP tuned which works like a dream for bench shooting, but I would like a lighter and easier to carry and reliable rifle without having to compromise on accuracy at distances below 100m. As alternatives, I have now considered a couple of different AGN Technology models, Uragan 2 Compact or Vixen. Can you advise which one would be better as a portable hunting weapon?

Last edited:
I had the Vixen long .22 It was fun to shoot with around 70 shots a tank fill 2900 - 1800, jsb15.9 890 fps ish. Then I wanted it to be more back yard friendly with lower decibels. Would have to remove the over sized barrel shroud. Options were to buy a moderator and a donnyfl 14.125 X 1/2-20 $25 adapter and a carbon barrel sleeve tube to beef it back up a little and add some bling. ( someone had a picture of this set up in .177 for sale )
So if I had it to do over again, And the choice of a Bro XR or AGT Vixen it would be the Bro XR compact with folding adjustable stock, a power setting wheel. set up for any size moderator from the factory. Only down side would be the lower shot count between refill. From YT videos I just think the XR looks more tactical out of the pair.

Reactions: L.Leon
I am relatively new to the PCP game, but am looking to step up my game from the MROD Field and Target for pest control and backyard target shooting. I am interested in opinions or recommendations on the AGT Vixen VS Brocock Ranger XR especially if you have first hand experience with both of these. Criteria are most importantly that it must quite for backyard use so interested in how these compare to the MROD, compact, rails for tripod, minimal adjustment required to shoot, side lever, low maintenance and .22. I have not totally ruled out the bullpup, but it is not my first choice. Do these fit my requirements or is there another option I am missing? I am currently filling with a hand pump and that has not been an issue with the MROD, but do realize that I may need to upgrade for a large high pressure cylinder.
I haven’t tried the Vixen. I have the Brocock Commander XR Magnum, coupled with a Trident Moderator. It’s ridiculously accurate, reliable, and quiet. If weight is critical, you may want to compare as I don’t have the AGT’s specs handy.

Maybe take a look at the American Air Arms Evol. They have a mini version if you want small.

OP here. This was an older thread and I was not receiving notifications. I had a Concept XR on backorder for a very long time but eventually went the M3 Compact route after a local air gun store opened in Dallas and I was tired of waiting. The concepts came in a few weeks after the purchase of the M3 and a few weeks later I was in Scottsdale and decided to stop by AOA and look at the concept. I am sure the concept is a great gun but I am very happy with my purchase of the M3. It it too hot to shoot now but I managed to shoot close to 1500 rounds through it before it got terribly hot. I was able to take it out to 140 yards with JSB 18's and am very impressed with what this gun is capable of considering my lack of knowledge. Look forward to cool weather and more shooting.