AGT Uragan hassles

I was so frustrated yesterday that I feel like saying something about it this morning, LOL!!

I'll start off by admitting that okay for sure I have little talent or patience for mechanic-ing. That being said I hadn't yet had my King apart as far as getting the barrel out to do some polishing, cleaning, and replacing the oring, even though I've owned it for almost 2 years.

To begin with its a darn good thing I attempted this endeavor because it turned out the 2 mount screws weren't even tight anymore and actually almost to the point of being loose!! That would have bit me in the !#@# the next time I shot the rifle!

I looked up an older post on getting the barrel out. Easy enough. Then I polished and cleaned up the barrel. First problem was it took a long while to get the new oring inserted because I couldn't get the new oring into its groove. I thought about it and put a lubed pellet in the barrel just past the groove which stopped the oring from deforming beyond the groove and got the oring seated, then pushed the pellet out with a cleaning rod. I bet this took 20 minutes to do instead of 2 minutes. I'll know next time, right?!

2nd frustration = I put the rifle fully back together and the magazine wouldn't go in. WTH, you'd think that the engineers would have machined the barrel to stop at its farthest rearmost engagement with enough tolerance to allow the mag to be inserted - NOPE!

3rd frustration = After taking the rifle apart again and somewhat(see I'm learning a little) back together again. I didn't get the gap correct for the cheek piece so some of the 6 tiny screws wouldn't align to the holes this time, WTH???. A while after loosening all the barrel screws and attempting to get "all'' the different relationships required to match up, of the barrel, the rear part of the action, and the front cocking part of the action, and making sure the magazine would go in, I put the rifle fully back together.

4th frustration = As soon as I tried to cock it - the darn thing wouldn't cock and hold back the probe, what the heck happened??? I might have cussed some, grrrr!!! I can laugh now but I was pissed off at the time.

5th frustration = so I take the whole thing apart again, and by this time I'm hangry and my back is killing me! It took me another 20-25 minutes just to figure out why the gun wouldn't cock. Turned out somehow the end of the spring on the bar which resets the trigger sear had gone partly into the hole it is in front of and partly into the gap above it, it's hard to describe, but there wasn't enough spring tension to rest the sear. Is it just me that thinks the engineers could have made the whole smaller than it is or done this another way??!! I'm thinking to myself - I HATE, I HATE, I HATE this kind of stuff because it seems almost every time I try to do this type of thing it goes like this!

Having learned some hard lessons I got the gun back together, fired a few rounds, and it seems to be working. The whole debacle took 3.5 hours.

I do know that I really DISLIKE how the two halves of the action are held together by the thin barrel!!! I lost a lot of respect for this gun honestly and that is in spite of its good traits, like the huge shot count, and a pretty precise barrel that shoots slugs and pellets well also a few more things I do like about it.

In comparison its crazy how easy it is to take the barrel out of my Thomas, Redwolf, and others.

If the uragan has your nerves all frazzled then don’t ever try to break down and reassemble a Ruger mk1 22 pistol hahahaha. In the days before the internet a person could turn their pistol into a useless pile of parts quite easily! Figuring out the small details is something I really enjoy, but I know it isn’t for everyone.

If the uragan has your nerves all frazzled then don’t ever try to break down and reassemble a Ruger mk1 22 pistol hahahaha. In the days before the internet a person could turn their pistol into a useless pile of parts quite easily! Figuring out the small details is something I really enjoy, but I know it isn’t for everyone.
Ohhh yes the good Ole days🤣

Reactions: steve123
I'm actually with you on this one. I took my Uragan apart one time to clean the barrel and from there out it was a done using a pull through. Once together it a solid ergonomic really nice rifle, but one should smack the engineer really hard who said let's use the barrel as the mount point to keep all the parts together.

Ha, I know "EXACTLY" what you experienced. Been there and was also frustrated then!!!

I didn't look to see but I would think there would be some witness marks on the Uragan to help get everything lined up easier??

The gun shot decent today and I think I'm ready for tomorrows match so hopefully I'm good for a while.

I'm actually with you on this one. I took my Uragan apart one time to clean the barrel and from there out it was a done using a pull through. Once together it a solid ergonomic really nice rifle, but one should smack the engineer really hard who said let's use the barrel as the mount point to keep all the parts together.

That's for darn sure!!!

I wonder how the Vulcan 3 differs in comparison??

i have performed the same work you did on my Uragan-1 in .30,
even with only one 75% eye, it went back together like a glove.
maybe its because DW has been thru it for a power tune....
not one complaint on it and its taken many hogs and deer
the past 2 seasons.
if i was to purchase another uragan no matter what caliber, it would go to DW
for his touch.
fine guns and an awesome tuner there !!

i have performed the same work you did on my Uragan-1 in .30,
even with only one 75% eye, it went back together like a glove.
maybe its because DW has been thru it for a power tune....
not one complaint on it and its taken many hogs and deer
the past 2 seasons.
if i was to purchase another uragan no matter what caliber, it would go to DW
for his touch.
fine guns and an awesome tuner there !!

I wish it had gone well for me but that's par for the course??

Yep DW is fantastic at modifying and tuning.

Last edited:
I'll use it at the Silhouette match at Rio.

Rimfire at XFT.

I got 56/60 with the King so for the first time doing the Rio Silhouette match it went pretty good for this event. I think the gun could be tuned in better though because it's barely staying in the chickens at 70 yards, if that, with the 34gr pellets. I'd hit high on the back all the way onto the foot of them. Another 1/2" tighter vertical would have given me 2-3 more hits possibly.

With my 19 fpe Thomas FT gun I also got 56/60. Basically its more precise than the King but blows in the wind quite a bit more.

Fun times that day!